Why become a member? ×

God I hate ........ slap bass

Clarky

I can slap and pop - quite damn fast too. I went through a "LUK @ M3" phase that I have grown out of. My more preferred style of playing is a melodic, groovy, slower style of playing; at least people can properly hear what notes I'm playing. I still enjoy it on my own, but if I was in a band I wouldn't be too keen to utilize it. I was just so eager to try it out after listening to so much God damn RHCP and Primus :)

[quote name='barneyg42' post='1164213' date='Mar 16 2011, 12:17 PM']It would be funny to see Mr Clutterbuck installed to the dictionary to be honest, ie waiter drops a tray of cutlery and crockery and everyone remarks "that was a bit of a Clutterbuck!" When being shown around a sheet metal molding factory I remarked "it's a bit Clutterbuck in here!"[/quote]
Ah, you mean [url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=clutterbuck"]like this?[/url]

• Haha 1

• 9 years later...

Thanks so much for saying this. every time someone picks my bass up, they insist on doing a slap accompanied by a certain facial expression and a funky chicken head move 

G R O A N 

Edited by Jazpaz
Misspelling

This topic raises its head regularly. Slapping is a technique the same as any other technique. It fits in certain songs. When it's thrown in needlessly it can become boring. This is an example of slap suiting the song perfectly and done tastefully without over doing it. This is my humble opinion.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I don't get the hate. Used in a measured musical way, it can be really great. 

I don't think there is a general hate. The context of my original post was entirely reactive in that I had just returned from the London Bass Guitar Show which was rendered into a wall of Motorhead-level slappity clack by a legion of wannabe Mark Kings. Was impossible to hear yourself think or try gear in a more musical way. Changes were made at later LBGS to counter this

Basically its a Zombie thread, as noted above by Rich!

Edited by Clarky
  • Haha 1

Yeah I hate a super fast clackity clack bass’line’ played by a show off (like everyone at LBGS) but a slow groove with a couple of accented slaps/pops, yes please 🤗

Weirdly the person who bumped this necro thread emailed support to say he wants his account deleting because he’s realised he doesn’t want to talk about bass with strangers!

• Haha 11

Also, seeing this thread ... just a few posts above is one from Pete Academy, a very accomplished bassist who played tasteful slap in top tribute band Stealing Dan (correction: Nearly Dan, thanks bubinga5) who I had the pleasure of seeing live and meeting with former BCer Nigel (aka silddx/xibblx) and is tragically no longer with us. Reminder to me of how things change in a decade. RIP Pete

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Also, seeing this thread ... just a few posts above is one from Pete Academy, a very accomplished bassist who played tasteful slap in top tribute band Stealing Dan who I had the pleasure of seeing live and meeting with former BCer Nigel (aka silddx/xibblx) and is tragically no longer with us. Reminder to me of how things change in a decade. RIP Pete

Sorry to be that guy who corrects people. But Peter was the bassist for Nearly Dan. He was a cracking bass player. Very excited to buy that Roscoe from Bass Direct he was.  I do miss his presence and northern charm when we met. He was a great friend and a lover of funk and groove. I really miss him. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Sorry to be that guy who corrects people. But Peter was the bassist for Nearly Dan. He was a cracking bass player. Very excited to buy that Roscoe from Bass Direct he was.  I do miss his presence and northern charm when we met. He was a great friend and a lover of funk and groove. I really miss him. 

Pete was a great bloke. We used to spend a lot of time just talking bass, swapping albums/dvds, going to Bass Day, showing each other ideas, and discuss threads on here. It was always funny when he worked in the music shop and he'd phone me to ask what I knew about certain gear that a customer had inquired about.

Anyway, back on topic.... Slap Bass is awesome. 

Although it's a recurring theme, this is the first slap-bass thread since I joined basschat (as far as  I can remember). So I'll put my comments here.

I certainly don't like it when it's done for it's own sake, as is often the case in youtube and guitar shops etc. I don't like it he way Mark King does it.

Most of the music I listen to does not utilise slap bass. But there are I am sure a lot of tracks which I do like which feature some well judged slap. No problem with that.