Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BBs

cocco

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1382711291' post='2255784']
The neck on the 2024 isn't as chunky as on the 1200. Owning 70s/80s 1000, 1200, 2000, 3000 and 5000 basses, as well as current 1025 and 2024 basses, I'd agree that the 2024 is a beautifully built/finished instrument. The rail split pickup design on the 2024 evens out the sound a touch, where the reverse P pickup on the 1200 has a slightly squeezed mid-range by comparison. The 2024 has a slight high-end peak on it's attack that the 1200 doesn't suffer. The 1200 probably has a bit more grunt, although that could be said about the 1200 over the original 2000. Open strings ring very clean on the 2024, but sustain tails off a touch sooner. To date I've found the 2024 to be an exceptionally good instrument, but prefer recording with an '83 2000. The 1025 is a good instrument, but not close to the 2024. The 1025 is also nowhere near the equal of the 5000.
[/quote]

Thanks Noel, as you have owned nearly all the BB range (new and old) I suppose I,m gonna have to ask you if you could only have one BB , would it be 1 of the earlier models or the current model ?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1382719684' post='2255959']
It's worth mentioning that the weak spot on these Yamaha basses is the pickup selector switch. They are notoriously dodgy , and it's a shame that in their search for ultimate quality that Yamaha have overlooked this minor but infuriating achilles heel . It's a two and a half thousand quid bass with a 25 pence selector switch . I wish they had a used pan pot instead , but, failing that , at least use a decent quality switch !
[/quote]

yeah that seems a bit flaky of Yamaha , would be an easy upgrade to replace the switch , should'nt have to on an expensive bass though !

Love my BB 1200 basses.... Two 1200s and two 1200. Tried loads of different basses over the years but always come back to my Yamahas... I've had the BB614 which I thought was a bit synthetic sounding (1200s sound sooo much warmer) so got shot off it quite quickly... Recently picked up a BB 424 as a sh*te venue bass and was really impressed!!! Great sounding bass for the money...incredible really. Still not a patch on my vintage Yamahas, I may be slightly biased tho ;-) Have tried the super BB 2024 and ......Jesus, what a great sounding bass!! Wish it was neck thru and had the same body contours as the BB 1200 .... I really would like to try those 2024 pups in my spare BB1200 as they have THAT vintage tone and so much output !!!!

[quote name='jaybass 70' timestamp='1382635380' post='2254827']
hi,
I've been relatively gas free since acquiring a 1979 BB1200 off bobby K on this very fine forum :D
until I seen this

BB2024 £1650.00 from Bass Direct, good price for a quality instrument that retails for £2350.00
I'm wondering if there is a massive jump in quality and sound compared to the BB1200 I already love and own? I'm coming into some cash soon and I'm gonna treat myself to another bass to add to the herd ,
short of diving in the car and doing a 5 hour round trip has anyone tried these basses out compared to the very good japanese BB1200 ?
thanks in Advance guys and dolls :)
[/quote]

£1650 seem like a seriously good price for that bass! The only grumble I have about mine (I have a black 2024x) is that it shows up every tiny little scratch, so I'd go for white or sunburst if I was buying another - which I probably will someday!

edit to say the songs on the band link in my sig were done with the 2024 (don't let my playing put you off!)

Edited by BluRay

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1382894527' post='2257674']
I really want a BB1200, or any passive 70s/80s BB to be honest. Anyone know of any for sale?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-BB3000S-Electric-Bass-With-Yamaha-Hard-Case-/231069530684"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-BB3000S-Electric-Bass-With-Yamaha-Hard-Case-/231069530684[/url]

(£1084.12 delivered, at the current rate of exchange.)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1382344267' post='2250741']
Hey folks

Tried to adjust the relief on my BB414 and couldn't. The rod seems stuck...any tips? Is there something you need to do other than "insert allen key" and turn?
[/quote]

I had same issue on my BB414. I unscrewed the little plastic cover to get a get a bit more room to manaeovre and by pressing neck down a bit and a bit of pressure on the allen key eventually it moved smoothly. Took a bit of persuasion though - was a bit hairy!

For me they're simply not very physically attractive. Come on, there has to be at least SOME sexiness in a bass for me to want to play her! The BB series is one of the most utilitarian looking things I've ever seen.

The feel fine, nothing special imho but certainly sufficient if you're into their neck profile, and the sound very good in a classic fender bass kinda way. Very well built, also, with solid hardware.

Body shape turns me off, so does the headstock, so do the LOOK of their pickups and general mounting area for everything.

If I close my eyes I can really enjoy playing one though for a while.

[quote name='donkelley' timestamp='1383157522' post='2260984']
For me they're simply not very physically attractive. Come on, there has to be at least SOME sexiness in a bass for me to want to play her! The BB series is one of the most utilitarian looking things I've ever seen.

The feel fine, nothing special imho but certainly sufficient if you're into their neck profile, and the sound very good in a classic fender bass kinda way. Very well built, also, with solid hardware.

Body shape turns me off, so does the headstock, so do the LOOK of their pickups and general mounting area for everything.

[/quote]

Well, it just goes to show that you can't please everyone, and you are more than entitled to hold that opinion. All the more BBs for people who dig 'em :)

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' timestamp='1383165185' post='2261147']
Anyone know the exact nut width on thru 1024 & 2024...? Im enjoying my 424 but am finding the neck a bit narrow
[/quote]

Your question in reverse. Can you let me know the nut size on a 424 please

I am looking for another bass and am narrowing down my list, the 424 is on it. I need to go and try one out ASAP

[quote name='skydivepaul' timestamp='1383165622' post='2261157']

Your question in reverse. Can you let me know the nut size on a 424 please

I am looking for another bass and am narrowing down my list, the 424 is on it. I need to go and try one out ASAP
[/quote]

Hello there
just measured it and it's 38mm.... my BB1200 are 43.5 ish !!

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' timestamp='1383165185' post='2261147']
Anyone know the exact nut width on thru 1024 & 2024...? Im enjoying my 424 but am finding the neck a bit narrow
[/quote]

I've just measured my 1024 and it is exactly 40mm. I'd assumed the 424 and 1024 would be the same.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1383157868' post='2260993']
Well, it just goes to show that you can't please everyone, and you are more than entitled to hold that opinion. All the more BBs for people who dig 'em :)
[/quote]

More for meeeee !! :party:

[/quote]

To be fair I used to think they were butt-ugly at first, but when i was browsing some old Yamaha catalogues and seeing various older models, something clicked in me and I decided I wanted one! I think for a supposed budget bass the BB414 is well builit and sounds pretty massive.

I think my fondness of the slightly rounded body shape stems from my ownership of a Gibson G-3. And it continues - I have owned 4 BBs (currently have 2) and have a Gibson Ripper in the process of being refinished/rebuilt. I suppose my Epiphone Jack Casady isn't exactly sleek either...

[/quote]

I never used to be a fan but there's something about the white ones that I really like. I also think they look infinitely better in the flesh as compared to stock photos.

I totally get that they are attractive to some. Interesting how they've grown on some people here... I've experienced that before so it could be something I will find later on.

I've played them and really like the sound and build quality. Some people like furniture basses, others like painted sparkle finish. It's such a wide and subjective crowd to sell to, so I do understand how these are attractive to some people.

That example above does look pretty good I have to say.