Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BBs

cocco

My very first bass was a Yamaha BB-something or other...for the life of me I cannot remember the number.
Was there a BB50 or a BB100? Honestly can't remember.

Bought it 3rd hand in 1988 or 1989 for the princely sum of £50.00 and was a rather unattractive metallic cherry red colour, so in my wisdom, I relocated it to my dads garage, sanded it down, sprayed it white and Stone Rose'd it with a red and black touch up pen from Halfords...as you tend to do at 14 or 15 years old...and instantly thought it was uber-cool...!!

Weighed a ton as I recall...

[quote name='Bass-Driver' timestamp='1367478955' post='2066078']
D and G strings were off, you could hear it especially well while playing octaves (which I do quite frequently). Classic P layout is perfect for octaves.
[/quote]

Just wondering what you mean by "off"- do you mean out of tune, or just doesn't sound right?

I'm playing octaves without any issues at all on my BB2000, but I guess like everything, it's down to individual taste ;)

I've had traditional P pickup BB's, such as my old 1100s. A fantastic bass and closer to the traditional P sound for sure, but I just love the extra [i]zing [/i]you get from the reverse P pup :)

Edited by Bobby K

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1367580670' post='2067153']

I've had traditional P pickup BB's, such as my old 1100s. A fantastic bass and closer to the traditional P sound for sure, but I just love the extra [i]zing [/i]you get from the reverse P pup :)
[/quote]

Does the reverse P setup make that big a difference? I've never imagined it would, but then again I don't think I've ever tried one - so what do I know?

All very interesting indeed.

Cheers

Geoff

I always thought the reversed P sounded a bit more "balanced" than the regular P - a little less bassy on the low strings and a little more bassy on the high strings. But that's probably what the "science" is telling my ears to hear. It's probably all complete tosh.

Well, it's a subtle difference. But I think a lot of the zing I'm getting is probably also due to the thru neck on the BB2000. As stated earlier, the E string is really punchy with lots of sustain; don't seem to get any of that [i]wooliness [/i]you typically get with E strings on most basses...

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1367580670' post='2067153']
Just wondering what you mean by "off"- do you mean out of tune, or just doesn't sound right?
[/quote]

They sounded different than E and A strings. As English isn't my native language I don't know how to explain it better. It was like they had a different character - E and A were quite punchy while D and G sounded weak and hollow. I get the same impression while listening to the absolutely wonderful Rocco Prestia on his signature P-bass with a reversed pickup. His playing is always phenomenal but the bass just doesn't sound right to me.

• 4 weeks later...

This might have all ready been covered so apologies if it has but I'm looking for a cure to the neck dive with my BB415, I have read else where that new tuners will do the job, is there anything that could work? If not what tuners do I need to be looking at and how much money will I be I looking at?

Edited by 4StringFortress

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1369982653' post='2095107']
This might have all ready been covered so apologies if it has but I'm looking for a cure to the neck dive with my BB415, I have read else where that new tuners will do the job, is there anything that could work? If not what tuners do I need to be looking at and how much money will I be I looking at?
[/quote]

What kind of strap are you using? If it's a slippy nylon one then try a wide leather strap with a grippy suede back or one of those neoprene comfort type straps. Cheaper and a lot less hassle than changing tuners.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1369982653' post='2095107']
[/quote]
A set of Hipshot tuners cured the neck dive on my BB. I think Schaller and Gotoh make something similar. They need to be made of aluminium.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1369986530' post='2095146']
What kind of strap are you using? If it's a slippy nylon one then try a wide leather strap with a grippy suede back or one of those neoprene comfort type straps. Cheaper and a lot less hassle than changing tuners.
[/quote]

Im currently using a Levi 3" leader strap with a rough suede back and it still seems to be quite bad, would the height of the strap make a difference?

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1370006729' post='2095461']
A set of Hipshot tuners cured the neck dive on my BB. I think Schaller and Gotoh make something similar. They need to be made of aluminium.
[/quote]

Ahh cool thanks will look into that, how much am I going to have to spend?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a BB424 off Bobby K recently and I have to say I love it! Great tone and punchy as hell. I've even started getting remarks on my tone - which is a first for me..... Really great basses and if like me, you have a limited budget, definitely worth picking up!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1382344267' post='2250741']
Hey folks

Tried to adjust the relief on my BB414 and couldn't. The rod seems stuck...any tips? Is there something you need to do other than "insert allen key" and turn?
[/quote]

Try loosening it first, then tighten. (Lefty loosey, righty tighty)

G.

hi,
I've been relatively gas free since acquiring a 1979 BB1200 off bobby K on this very fine forum :D[size=4] [/size]
[size=4]until I seen this [/size][size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

BB2024 £1650.00 from Bass Direct, good price for a quality instrument that retails for £2350.00
I'm wondering if there is a massive jump in quality and sound compared to the BB1200 I already love and own? I'm coming into some cash soon and I'm gonna treat myself to another bass to add to the herd ,
short of diving in the car and doing a 5 hour round trip has anyone tried these basses out compared to the very good japanese BB1200 ?
thanks in Advance guys and dolls :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='jaybass 70' timestamp='1382635380' post='2254827']
hi,
I've been relatively gas free since acquiring a 1979 BB1200 off bobby K on this very fine forum :D
[size=4]until I seen this [/size]

BB2024 £1650.00 from Bass Direct, good price for a quality instrument that retails for £2350.00
I'm wondering if there is a massive jump in quality and sound compared to the BB1200 I already love and own? I'm coming into some cash soon and I'm gonna treat myself to another bass to add to the herd ,
short of diving in the car and doing a 5 hour round trip has anyone tried these basses out compared to the very good japanese BB1200 ?
thanks in Advance guys and dolls :)
[/quote]

Hi Jay, I've played both , but not side- by -side . The 2024 is a fine bass ( in fact , it's an amazing bass) , but your Japanese BB1200 was its' equivalent back in the day .One thing to be aware of from the outset is that the 2024 has got a pretty chunky neck profile by most standards. That may be a big plus or a big minus , depending on your preferences. The pickups on the 2024 are a triumph in terms of their overall sound and help make these basses so unique ( the sound on these basses is so deep and lush that it is like they are active despite the fact that they are actually passive, if you see what I mean) , so that is one clear advantage for the newer bass over the BB1200 , but that said the BB1200 was and is still a great sounding bass in its' own right with the stock pickups .

From memory , both have that polished but powerful Yamaha sound , but the 2024 has probably got a bit more of everything , considering that it is supposed to the ultimate refinement of the model . They are certainly superb basses by any standards and easily worth what they cost . To give you some indication of the quality level of these basses , I've played them side-by-side with USA -made Sadowskys and USA-made Laklands that cost at least a grand more each than these BBs and, on balance,, I would say the Yamaha is as good if not better quality than either. I know it's exactly the situation you are seeking to avoid , but it has to be said that ultimately the only way to assess it against your BB1200 is somehow to play them both and compare .

Edited by Dingus

Hi Dingus, thanks for your very in depth reply, didnt know about the chunky neck , thought they would have the same neck profile more or less, I suppose a trip down to Bass direct is on the cards to try it out :gas:[size=4] if I dont want the yamaha I'm sure Mark will have something in his fine bass emporium to tempt me , loving the price on the 2024 though, he has a black 2024 for the same price too,, decisions decisions!![/size]

The neck on the 2024 isn't as chunky as on the 1200. Owning 70s/80s 1000, 1200, 2000, 3000 and 5000 basses, as well as current 1025 and 2024 basses, I'd agree that the 2024 is a beautifully built/finished instrument. The rail split pickup design on the 2024 evens out the sound a touch, where the reverse P pickup on the 1200 has a slightly squeezed mid-range by comparison. The 2024 has a slight high-end peak on it's attack that the 1200 doesn't suffer. The 1200 probably has a bit more grunt, although that could be said about the 1200 over the original 2000. Open strings ring very clean on the 2024, but sustain tails off a touch sooner. To date I've found the 2024 to be an exceptionally good instrument, but prefer recording with an '83 2000. The 1025 is a good instrument, but not close to the 2024. The 1025 is also nowhere near the equal of the 5000.

It's worth mentioning that the weak spot on these Yamaha basses is the pickup selector switch. They are notoriously dodgy , and it's a shame that in their search for ultimate quality that Yamaha have overlooked this minor but infuriating achilles heel . It's a two and a half thousand quid bass with a 25 pence selector switch . I wish they had a used pan pot instead , but, failing that , at least use a decent quality switch !

Edited by Dingus