Why become a member? ×

Another Bristol Bassist

Mornats

Hi everyone, another bassist from Bristol here (although I'm actually a Geordie who's strayed a little far from home).

I've just got back into playing bass after a 10+ year hiatus. I started playing when I was around 16 on an Aria Pro II explorer shaped bass then moved onto a Bass Collection SB301 which I bought new in 1994. I played in a band at university doing a few gigs but (I'm ashamed to say) never really learnt to play properly, I just learnt songs and played them. I sold the BC a little over 10 years ago and regret that a bit now, it was a stunning bass.

I've just been bitten by the bass bug again so I went out and got myself a Dean Hillsboro Single (pretty decent bass, nice sound, nice thin neck and has a musicman style humbucker). I then started pining for my old BC so trawled Ebay and got a brilliant SB315 5 string (in black) from 1991. I had a luthier make a custom brass nut for it as it's strung EADGC and the E groove in the nut was badly worn. It now sounds utterly fantastic, just how I remember my old one sounding. It was a bargain too - £165 :). I then found an SB320* fretless which I bought and after a little work soldering some of the electronics back on, it sounds amazing. Tricky to play fretless at my skill level but a good challenge.

So now I've picked up a few books, am trawling Youtube for videos and I'm actually learning how to play properly. I use Guitar Rig and Cubase LE/Garageband to play and record on top of a drum track and I'm loving it.

So this is me, hope to have a good chat with you all on here and learn more stuff!

Oh, and pics of my basses to come :)

[size=1]
* I think it's an SB320. The model number has worn off but it's got active circuits and gold hardware. I'm only uncertain as the knobs are black but it looks as though the electronics may have been replaced which may account for this. It's the best sounding bass out of the ones I own so it looks like they were upgraded and not just replaced on the cheap.[/size]

Greetings from London!! Wow 10 years huh? Welcome back!! I really like the basses in your sig, or atleast, am very curious to try them out. How're the Bass Collection basses, I've been meaning to check them out, they seem really great bargains. How are they? Nice. A 4s,5s and a fretless, looks like you got it covered. I'm new here too, but I wish you all the best. Cheers! :)

Regards,
Faiz

Edited by faiz0802

Thanks for the welcome :)

Thumbo - I'm based in Nailsea, not quite Bristol but close enough. I've worked here for a year now (with a 70 mile commute each way) and so far, Bristol seems pretty good.

Faiz - my Bass Collections. Like I said, I had a 1994 SB301 that I bought new and loved it so found these two on Ebay. I hope to get some sound clips up so people can hear them. The 5 string has two jazz pickups and it's strung with a high C (this is how it came and I liked it, great for soloing). It's got a nice range of sounds from fairly deep and mellow to very poppy but all with that jazz sound to it. Both the basses are very light, have very thin necks and are very easy to play. In fact, even with the wider neck on the 5 string I found it easy to transition from a 4 string. The fretless is a stunner in terms of sound. I've just restung it with Rotosound 88 nylon strings and it sounds so much like a double bass now but I can change the tone to be very poppy in the higher notes. I think the pickups and electronics have been changed on the fretless as the knobs are black (they should be gold) and the pickups don't look like any SGC ones I've ever seen.

Both BCs are original 80s/90s SGC Nanyo makes and not any of the more recent copies or the new range that's currently available. Oh and having a 5 string and a fretless was my way of justifying buying more guitars after I'd just bought my Dean Hillsboro :)

Hey Faiz, I recorded some sound samples (nothing fancy) of all three basses and popped them over in the bass guitar section if you're interested: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=127277"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=127277[/url]