Why become a member? ×

I would NEVER part with my...........

TRBboy

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1299681863' post='1155384']
This would be my sunburst 1997 MIA Precision, can`t see me ever wanting to get rid of it. It just sounds so much deeper and fuller than my others, even though they are all stock.
[/quote]

And now, in addition, my 1977 Precision. T`ain`t goin nowhere!

Much as I love my Shuker JJ Burnel, a bass I never thought I would be able to own, if I wasn't gigging I couldn't see me being able to justify keeping it. As it is, every time money gets a bit tight I start feeling guilty about owning well over a grand's worth of bass and what I could do with the cash if I sold it. Whilst we're gigging I can get away with it, but I couldn't have that much money tied up just to sit in a case in the cupboard. I'd be more likely to keep my Mex Precision, but eventually that would probably go too. Only one I probably wouldn't sell is my Westone Concord I, my first bass, mainly 'cos it isn't worth enough!

Interesting thread! Had to think long and hard, but the ones I really would hate to get rid of...

Alembic Orion 5.....So beautifully built, amazing player and tone. The standard I judge all others by.
1980 Rickenbacker 4001. My first decent bass, played my first ever gig with it, and of great sentimental value.
'76 Bicentennial Thunderbird. Prezzie from the Mrs, just spent 3 days in the studio with "Big Bird" Sounds huge
1990? Aria Legend P bass copy. My first ever bass. Plays amazingly well, nice neck, but crap ply wood body!! :)

sensible head on, the Alembic would be the last to go, as it really is my "go to" bass, but the Rick and the Bird would rule my heart, so to speak :)

.... bass guitars!

In the end, then, it wouldn't be my pride and joy, a Pre-EB Stingray which I dearly love but would get most money it would be the most useful and adaptable bass which can do Motown, funk and rock well, my American Jazz Deluxe, not as good but less valuable.

Not sure what would make me let my amp go either, old Hartke HA5500, with the crossover. Swapped from a Basschatter (nice guy - hope he's as happy with the HA3500 on his side of the deal as I am with mine). Can't see me replacing it while it still works.

Anyway, enough now, the thought of losing my Stingray has upset me.

[quote name='alanbass1' timestamp='1300897753' post='1173489']
It will be my '62 Precision, which my dad bought for me back in '75 (he couldn't afford a new one!). She's been round the world a few times with me since.
[/quote]

Wow, that's a real keeper. Hope it stays to be part of your will (in a nice way you understand!)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1318800255' post='1406403']

Wow, that's a real keeper. Hope it stays to be part of your will (in a nice way you understand!)
[/quote]

Yep, she ain't going nowhere and my son has his expectant eye on her.........he plays as well, so he wants to inherit what he calls 'The Keeper'

Strangely, my Ibanez GSR200. Its been modded (Is happening right now, like it has been for 3 months) thrown around, dropped, beaten, broken, covered in stickers, even been through an incident involving a BMX and Toyota Yaris and survived (without going out of tune might i add, perfecet Drop D). It only cost me £149.99 in 2007 but i still love the thing. Took out the 2 band EQ, and converting it to fully passive, going to stick a Wizard Thumper in there, with some new hardware, give it a really good setup, maybe a refin and defret sometime in the future, who knows, but i wont sell it on (Partly because its worth f*ck all).

EDIT: I ripped out the Jazz pup too, it was unnecessary, but now i have a big hole in my bass, covered by some strange sticker with glow in the dark
eyes on it that i got from Kerrang! Magazine.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

my battered Hondo professional II, first bass I had, bought it for £40 off a mate and it don't sound half bad, I use it as back up now for my MIA P bass (never needed it yet but you never know), it's got sentimental value and as above, it's worth f*ck all

[quote name='sockdeluxe_mikey' timestamp='1318856802' post='1406921']
I don't want to be facetious, but after a near full-on electric shock due to a defeated ground running through my amp it has got to be my socket tester. They're not much money, but I would recommend it to ANYBODY. It scared the absolute hell out of me and I was lucky to get away with a numb left arm for 20 minutes.
[/quote]

Goodness, I've had my lips tingled enough times but nothing like that! Prefer a buzz to a numb arm!

I thought my relatively new EBMM Sterling was a fantastic bass until I bought a 1994 model! At the time I also had a Big Al SSS and a roadworn Precision and after a few gigs with the '94 Sterling I flogged the rest.

Better weight, resonance, playability and neck finish & profile than either of the modern EBMM's I had, and whilst the P offered something very different, it didn't get a look in. Birdseye maple and the big bridge are nice 'extras' as well.

You can never say never, but it'd take something really really special to make me want to part with the '94 Sterling, and it's the first time since I was a kid that I've been perfectly content with owning just one bass.

[quote name='alanbass1' timestamp='1318846402' post='1406684']
Yep, she ain't going nowhere and my son has his expectant eye on her.........he plays as well, so he wants to inherit what he calls 'The Keeper'[/quote]
That bass has become an heirloom...a legacy. It'll become legendary.

In order:
'79 Alembic Series 1 graphite (rarer than a 52 P-bass :))
'78 Musicman Stingray (because money can't buy that mojo)
'00 Spector NS5CR (might as well be called 'The Wife')
'84 Steiny XL25A narrow (not that rare but don't come up for sale much either)

The rest, while of sentimental value, could be replaced in one form or another if the house burned down.

Personally it's difficult to say what will stay and what will be sold but I will never part with what I call my no.1 of my collection, "the madness of King Bass". this bass is mental, really! Although it looks quite conservative and polite this is a bit of an animal in every way possible, my 1986 completely original PRS Bass IV

[b]As approved by Killer the kitten prrrrrrr[/b]

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1319185282' post='1410844']

Don't expect that to go out the house let alone offered for sale
[/quote]

Unlikely, and i hope i never need to sell it. I spent many years buying/selling/trading and upgrading to be in a position to get an original '52 in this condition, I certainly won't let it go without a fight!

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

My Warwick 89 Thumb with EMG's - great sound and so easy to play.
My Overwater 6 fretless because it was a 50th pressie and has my name on it. A true one off.

Fender Jazz and Overwater J4 i could probably pick up anytime to be honest so don't really worry too much about them.
Saying that my Fender is my pick up and go bass at the moment.

Kinda miss my twin neck Shergold (4 & 8) for sentimental reasons and my WAL custom and SB1000 because they sounded great.

Dave

I remember what I said about basses being nothing but wood and metal but I really never thought I'd ever sell my Thunderbird.

Well, technically I haven't as its still for sale but its for sale meaning that I am willing to sell it and let go of it. I didn't think that I ever would.