Why become a member? ×

Line6 Bass Pod XT??

Jayfaedoom

[quote name='jimbartlett' post='139457' date='Feb 13 2008, 01:10 PM']Cool, thanks Ped!

That FBV looks like a good piece of kit mate.[/quote]
I've had mine a while now & it is really useful, particularly live.

As for my earlier re "patching", yes sorry I had made some largish assumptions & omitted to say what goes where now I read it back

[quote name='jimbartlett' post='139420' date='Feb 13 2008, 12:17 PM']Sorry, just to clarify something....where you say "keep the volume controls set to a low level initially then bring them up slowly while listening for any distortion"....do you mean the level on the output of the POD or the master volume of the amp? I imagine you are saying it's the level on the output of the POD?

Thanks,

Jim.[/quote]

+1 to ped.

Yes - as a general rule whenever you attach ANY equipment together for the first time and you are at all uncertain about if you're plugging things in properly....turn all the volumes/gains/levels right down. Connect it up then bring things up slowly and listen.

If something starts to distort then turn it down and investigate.

I bought a Pod Xt Live off David Nimrod on here, used it for the first time at a jam yesterday and it is a really good pedal indeed. I also love how good it sounds while using headphones so my girlfriend and my neighbors cant complain anymore.

I just have 1 question. I need to get myself a decent gigging amp. Well a head for starters. Would i be better to get a head or go for the pre-amp option and just use the amazing amp sims on the pedal. I don't know if it is worth getting a really good head if i am going to just turn the eq off on the amp and use the POD. I do like the idea of a preamp what ones would everyone recommend going for? Again i am on a budget so prob something under £200.

Edited by Jayfaedoom

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='142385' date='Feb 18 2008, 12:26 PM']You need a poweramp to go with the POD which is a preamp.

I think the Tapco J-800 looks good, thinking about getting one myself.[/quote]

ahh yes it is a power amp i need, whoops! I am sooo new to this it ain't funny.

I will check out the one you recommend.

thanks

After a few days looking at multifx units, reading reviews etc, I'm starting to settle on the XT Live. Just read the Talkbass review from Ped's link and feel very daunted but looking for a bit of a challenge! I've got some cash available and don't mind tweaking. I do like a good tweak. Ooohh Matron!! If I can get one or two sounds I really like and get them stored - and I (think) I know what I'm after, then I'm happy to spend the next few years exploring it. I'll probably not get another opportunity like this for a long time, so I want to shoot for the top to start with :) . I have the Korg AX3000B on loan and it's giving me sleepless nights! 1am I went to bed last night!! I really do like it, a doddle to use but the set of parameter control knobs worry me - and a number of others looking at the reviews - they seem a bit flimsy and I feel they'd break off too easily. Concerns me what effect the POD will have on my sleep patterns though!

I don't have enough cash for the XT Pro, disappointed and surprised at no balanced output on the XT Live so I'll have to live with a DI box, and I probably wouldn't fiddle with patches in a live situation but have everything saved in advance. I'll probably completely refute this and totally change my mind in a few months though! I also like the very large community that the POD line has and the willingness to share patches. I'll be pulling some of them apart to see how they've been set up and learning from them, and then hopefully be able to contribute my own in time.

Edited by FJ1200

[quote name='Evil Laugh' post='143494' date='Feb 20 2008, 12:40 AM']Interesting...

Am looking at an X3 Live, just wondering what people's experience is of the online editor.

I'm still confused as to whether or not it's a separate purchase. :)[/quote]

Free download from their web site -

[url="http://uk.line6.com/software/index.html"]http://uk.line6.com/software/index.html[/url] - search under Bass POD Live XT and scroll down about 2/3 of the page

Go to the [url="http://uk.line6.com/club/"]http://uk.line6.com/club/[/url] and there's access to loads of submitted patches too.

I'm ordering mine tomorrow I think.

[quote name='FJ1200' post='143502' date='Feb 20 2008, 05:44 AM']Free download from their web site -

[url="http://uk.line6.com/software/index.html"]http://uk.line6.com/software/index.html[/url] - search under Bass POD Live XT and scroll down about 2/3 of the page

Go to the [url="http://uk.line6.com/club/"]http://uk.line6.com/club/[/url] and there's access to loads of submitted patches too.

I'm ordering mine tomorrow I think.[/quote]

Cool, anyone know if you can edit the patches post recording?

Ie does it record a clean signal too that can be processed after or is it just a patch editor?

Would be handy as as things are added in a track I'll often want to alter other sounds to compensate.

[url="http://line6.com/basspodxtpro/index.html?utm_source=Line6Index&utm_medium=Navigation&utm_campaign=BassPODxtPro+DropDown"]http://line6.com/basspodxtpro/index.html?u...DxtPro+DropDown[/url]

The Pro version has an unprocessed bass out and line level input for reamping.

[quote]Re-Amping
Using the ANALOG REAMPING INPUT/OUTPUT connections, you can send a dry unprocessed guitar signal to your recording device and send it right back into the Bass PODXT Pro. Why is this so cool? Well, now you can go back at any time and change the entire sound of the track you recorded. How many times have you recorded a track where you wanted to just pull back the drive on a stompbox, try a different amp, or add a little more compression? Now you can! If you're really into experimenting with sounds, try sending other tracks like vocals, keys, or drum tracks through the Line Level Input jack! If you're really sneaky, you can also do this digitally with the AES/EBU, S/PDIF, or USB connections.[/quote]

Edited by thedontcarebear

[quote name='Jayfaedoom' post='142353' date='Feb 18 2008, 11:20 AM']I bought a Pod Xt Live off David Nimrod on here, used it for the first time at a jam yesterday and it is a really good pedal indeed.[/quote]

I'm really glad you like it!

It was just [b][i]too[/i][/b] complex for me :)

Like I said a while ago, I'm too thick for Line6!

Hi all

After looking through this thread and aspiring ('gassing'???)for some good quality effects for some time I think I too am on the verge of a Pod-XT as by the sounds of things they tick a number of flexibility options that I require. However, I would like your advice on whether to go with the Live version, Pro version or 'bean' version. I would be playing it through a nice little Markbass 1x15 combo with a 2x10 tp extension cab, so I've no need for the power amp nature of this thread (as informative as it may be). I wonder whether some of the recording 'outs' that I have on the combo would be enough to avoid the extra expense of the pro and the inevitable FBV short-board that I would require with it. Is there any difference in the quality of the sounds produced by each unit? I do have access to a laptop for patch editing purposes - might this help?

Your thoughts would be welcome

MB

I am very happy with my "bean". I don't tend to do a lot of patch switching, etc, mid-song or even in most sets so have been quite content with the simplest foot switcher that Line-6 offer, which only allows me to traverse left or right through four patches in any given group.

By making sure I have the right sets of patches grouped together, that has covered all my needs. The other benefit is that this switcher is much easier to lug around and takes up far less floor space (and I've always got the option of a bigger footboard if I get into a more effects heavy setting).

Wulf

I agree with Wulf. If you intend to just use patches you have pre setup then go for the bean version. I chose the Live version as the band i use it mostly in relies on a few effect "patch" changes through out the songs, so the live version is ideal. the FBV boards look really good and can transform the bean version into a live version.

I just wanted an effects package that can do live and studio stuff easily, plus through playing guitar for years i am used to using pedals.

I also play in a band where i just use an amp sim with overdrive, in B tuning for a low rumble sound and don't use anything else the pod is again perfect for this.

So i had to cover 2 different bands with 1 setup.

The bean version is great value for money. The Pro would be amazing to own but i could not justify the price for the unit itself and then the extra cash for the pedal board.

I hope that helps, i do use the amp sims a lot and they are really really great sounding. I am really happy that i chose to get a Pod, what ever you decide to go for you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the advice guys, it would seem that any pedal/pod combination is more than adequate and provides enough quality to satisfy the vast majority of people on this Bass-Pod-Love-In. I think however I will go for the convenience and flexibility of the 'Live' version giving me the option of more switching (if needed) during sets. The amp sims are a very appealing prospect, but are the stompbox effects good as well. Also, how is this board likely to compare with the boss GT10b, is it worth waiting for or do you go with Pod everytime?

Great stuff guys.

My guitar player just got the x3 pedalboard version and I have emailed him my bass patches and will be recording them both for comparison before/during/after the NW bass bash which should be fun. I am constantly amazed by my own pod! Love them to bits and I get my Trace V4 tone direct to any source, anywhere any time with no fuss!

I have the Shortboard to go with my 2 Pods and the only quibble I have is that the effect on offs are above the patch change switches which can make quick changes a bit nerve-racking as I have to be careful not to switch patch with my heel as my toes hits the effect switch. Maybe it's because I spent so long playing in a sequencer controlled band where all the fx changes were handled by the MIDI from the sequences and all I had to do was play without worrying about being in the right place at the right time to dance on my pedals...