Why become a member? ×

Top five.

Brandonh

List your top Five favorite bassists

1. Jaco Pastorius. What he did for the bass was crazy.
2. Bootsy Collins So many tasteful licks.
3. Jack Bruce practically soloed in many songs
4. Mike Watt Has quite a few nice chops.
5. Geddy Lee Sings his style is awesome.

[b]Steve Harris [/b]-fastest fingers I ever saw, inspired me to play bass, I still like to get a foot on the monitor when I can.
[b]Cliff Burton [/b]- Anasthesia!? Took me bloody ages to learn and still the only thing I have ever used a bass wah for
[b]Paul Simmonon [/b]- don't know if he wrote the lines but I would give it him just for the cover of London calling
[b]Danny from the Wildhearts [/b]-basically not great but once played the whole of the Reading festival set sitting on a flightcase with a dislocated knee which I think is an example of dedication beyond the call of bass duty.
[b]Me[/b] - you have to love yourself -right? I wouldn't have made it without me!

Edited by Mr Cougar

Top five eh? Well, I'm slighty pished coz just come back from the pub, but that's no excuse. My biggest influences have been (in no particular ordr within this group of five, sorry):

Cass Lewis
Jeff Ament
Doug Wimbish
Marcus Miller
Robert DeLeo

and bubbling under:
Steve Harris
Mike Starr (original AiC bassist)
Cliff Burton

Well......my first inspiration was probably Steve Harris........but top 5 all time would have to be something like.....

1. [url="http://www.livingstonemusic.net"]Ian Livingstone[/url] (he isn't a "bassist" but he started giving me bass lessons when I was 12, and by 13 they ended up being life lessons. He makes some very interesting music, if you check out his site.....most of you probably won't be bothered with it, though. He is my biggest inspiration.

2. Kristoffer Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation)
3. Dirk Lance (AKA Alex Katunich....ex-Incubus guy)
4. Chris Squire
5. No idea

I don't know about everyone else, but I guess most of my musical influences are composers/musicians........as opposed to bassists specifically. I think I have learned more about playing bass by listening to music in general than studying certain players per se........I don't know, that's just how it's worked out. :)

Still, everyone loves a bit of Victa :huh:

1 Justin Chancellor - his use of higher notes on the neck and the way he uses effects.
2 Les Claypool - the grooves.
3 Jaco - the grooves, chops and harmonics.
4 Tom Jenkinson - a lot more than a bassist!
5 Rex Brown - fat sound, tight player, held down the low end perfectly in Pantera.

Hmm...tough one, but based on current influence and wicked bass playing-ness the list would be something like:

Jaco
Janek Gwizdala
Brian Bromberg
Gary Willis
Hadrien Feraud

I think for tone though, Paul Turner would be highly rated, he's got such an awesom sound!!!

Richard Bona (Fodera, Fender, Bassworks, others)
Justin Meldal Johnson (Fender, anything old)
Lincoln Anderson (Fender, Warwick)
Ryan Martini (Warwick)
Janek Gwizdala (Fodera)

twas a toss up between Janek and Jaco, i love Jaco, but i've seen Janek live so that kinda edged it for now

Si

p.s.
just a lil edit for the interesting "what they use" post below

Edited by Sibob

Adulthood heroes

1 Jaco
2 Marcus Miller
3 Laurence Cottle
4 Anthony Jackson
5 James Jamerson

Childhood heroes

1 Gene Simmons (fished in with the make up- made me want to play the bass)
2 Geddy Lee
3 Cliff Williams
4 Steve Harris
5 John Taylor (never forget the first time I heard Rio)

Interesting if you look at the basses of your faves too. A lot of Fenders in mine.

1 Jaco (Fender)
2 Marcus Miller (Fender)
3 Laurence Cottle (Wal, Goodfellow)
4 Anthony Jackson (Fender, Fodera)
5 James Jamerson (Fender)

1 Gene Simmons (Gibson and others)
2 Geddy Lee (Rick, Fender, Steinberger, Wal)
3 Cliff Williams (Fender, Musicman)
4 Steve Harris (Fender)
5 John Taylor (Aria)

[b]Willie Dixon [/b]- He wrote and played on so many of my favourite Chess classics.
[b]John McVie [/b]- A huge influence, also Phil Chen, Kim Gardner and Rosko Gee, I used to watch these guys in pubs and clubs for years.
[b]Duck Dunn [/b]- When all the "clever" players have disappeared into the mists of time, Mr Dunn’s records will still get daily air play.
[b]Alan Spenner [/b]- Wonderful playing in the Grease Band and especially Kokomo.
[b]Reggie McBride [/b]- What a tone. This guy is Mr Understatement.

And there's no room for Charles Mingus, Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins, Willie Weeks and George Porter Jr.

[quote name='chris_b' post='12799' date='Jun 6 2007, 10:40 AM'][b]Willie Dixon [/b]- He wrote and played on so many of my favourite Chess classics.
[b]John McVie [/b]- A huge influence, also Phil Chen, Kim Gardner and Rosko Gee, I used to watch these guys in pubs and clubs for years.
[b]Duck Dunn [/b]- When all the "clever" players have disappeared into the mists of time, Mr Dunn’s records will still get daily air play.
[b]Alan Spenner [/b]- Wonderful playing in the Grease Band and especially Kokomo.
[b]Reggie McBride [/b]- What a tone. This guy is Mr Understatement.
And there's no room for Charles Mingus, Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins, Willie Weeks and George Porter Jr.[/quote]
excellent picks !! all masters at nailing the bottom (oo-er missus!)

james jamerson-'nuff said
gerry mcavoy-saw him many times with rory
jerry scheff-played on loadsa good stuff
berry oakley-solid as a rock with the allmans
victor wooten-saw him for the first time at byron bay bluesfest in april and makes you wants to give up playin cos he's so good

[b]John Myung[/b] - Fantastic chops and very modest with it - compliments Dream Theater wonderfully.
[b]Steve Harris[/b] - Does all it needs to make the songs sound great, dosn't go over the top.
[b]Marcus Miller[/b] - Amazing groover and all around down-to-earth chap, saw him live and he blew me away.
[b]Trip Wamsley[/b] - Completely under-rated solo bassist who would put a few famous names to shame, worth checking out.
[b]Jason Newstead[/b] - Made me want to play bass, just enjoys(ed) what he did and wasn't fussed about being flashy.

Trevor Dunn - massive variety of talent and skill
Billy Gould - grooves with the best of them and has superb tone
David Barard - relaxed and groovy, amazing bass sound
Mike Pocaro - the man who got me into playing the bass, locks in with his brother Mike like no-one else!
Walter Becker - amazing songwriter and his approach to bass is very individual