Why become a member? ×

*gone* please remove*.........Les Paul 5 string bass - BARTOLINIS

gareth1982

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='gareth1982' post='1154239' date='Mar 8 2011, 06:38 PM']Here is my lovely 1997 Gibson Les Paul 5 string bass. Strung with flatwounds at the mo, it's still too rocky for the soul/motown stuff I play. It sustains forever due to its thick (and heavy) mahogany body and sounds like you'd expext it to - loud and in your face! I took off the roundwounds it had on it in an attempt to mellow it, but it's horses for courses. Original mint condition Gibson fur/velvet type lined gigbag with it too.

I'm looking for a 4 string 'Ray or a Jazz deluxe, but other *serious and non-ludicrous/offensive* trade offers will be considered! It might just be worth a message!

Cheers[/quote]
Hi I've got a Dec 1 1998 MM stingray H black 4 string rosewood board v v good condition and I'm in Leeds, any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

It's black, it is long scale yes, it is virtually unmarked. Certainly no chips or scratches etc. It's got flats on it, so as far as slapping goes, i wouldnt know, but with some rounds on it, and the power of those humbuckers, i would imagine it would rip your speakers to bits if you let it! Im not into slap and pop, so probably not the best person to ask! Regarding weight, it is heavy.....as far as a figure goes, i dont know as I have no scales, but its heavier than my stingray5 and heavier than the bubinga corvette i had too.

The action will go down as low as you like. It suits me just the way it is though; having said that, I do like it relatively high anyway, especially when I'm pretending to be James jamerson on my Precision!

I'll email the pics now

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='gareth1982' post='1314953' date='Jul 24 2011, 05:03 PM']bump[/quote]

Would like to offer you my Warmoth 54 P-Bass+ 100 stones your way.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=147466"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=147466[/url]

What are the controls? Are they Volume and tone for each pickup (as with the standard 6 string guitar) or does the active circuitry allow for separate bass and treble? Also, I currently play a Spector Euro 5 LX (as I see you also have), how does this compare?

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' post='1316518' date='Jul 26 2011, 01:12 AM']What are the controls? Are they Volume and tone for each pickup (as with the standard 6 string guitar) or does the active circuitry allow for separate bass and treble? Also, I currently play a Spector Euro 5 LX (as I see you also have), how does this compare?[/quote]

Hi there. Yes it's volume and tone for each pickup. Compared to the spector, the string spacing is a little tighter, it's a bit heavier (but balances nicely), and I'd say has more output powerwise with both pickups on full (not that the Spector isn't powerful!). The neck has more of a 'c' profile too than the Spector. The Gibson is an absolute beast of a bass, but it's not suited to what I play (soul), and even with the flats on it, it still wants to rock. It's a beauty in the right context.

I'd almost forgotten I'd got the Spector; that doesn't get much use either for pretty much the same reason as the Gibson. James Jamerson never needed active 5 strings did he?!

Cheers

[quote name='gareth1982' post='1318393' date='Jul 27 2011, 04:04 PM']Yes it is.....you know you want it! :)[/quote]

My Warwick is up for sale, but I've already got my next one reserved for when mine goes (and mine won't even cover the costs).

If I had the cash, I'd be right on this, perhaps if I win Friday's lottery I will be!

Good luck with the sale, man.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there...This bass still twists my brain...would like to offer you this one: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=149970&st=0#entry1334927"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...=0#entry1334927[/url] + 150 bucks your way ( can pay them at 26.8.) I soooo want this Paula =(

[quote name='gareth1982' post='1342569' date='Aug 16 2011, 11:30 PM']Vielen dank fuer's Angebot, aber ich muss nein sagen. Yamaha Baesse habe ich schon zwei![/quote]

Dann hboffe ich, ich bekomme ihn anderweitig los....I NEED THIS PAULA! :)

• 1 month later...

Not a silly question at all mate! Honest answer is that I don't know; but, it has no binding on the edge of the body for example, so, going on what little I know about how Gibson brand their guitars, I'd say it is the no frills 'studio'; but nowhere does it say it, and I don't have a manual for it or anything. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated. It certainly doesn't have a figured maple top or anything like that. It's flat and kind of slab bodied (and heavy), which means it sustains for an eternity, and is not great therefore and reproducing Motown basslines which is what I play!

I work in Leeds, so if you ever wanted to get your hands on it for a good look/tinker, I'd be happy to meet up

Cheers

• 1 month later...