Why become a member? ×

Deleting posts and provenance of equipment sold on BC

Beedster

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' post='1155035' date='Mar 9 2011, 11:38 AM']I dont see how that's sensible, but I do see how it's not carbon friendly :)

besides, what's this talk of 'saving space'? that makes no sense in the context of the constant miniaturisation of technology and increased storage capacity. text still takes up the same amount of space as it ever did, it's the pictures and whizz-bang clever web stuff that takes up space. so delete your avatars if you want to save space.[/quote]

I was replying to the OP's concerns about being suspicious about the sale once the thread has been deleted, but I see your point :)

[quote name='Machines' post='1155043' date='Mar 9 2011, 10:48 AM']Max avatar size is 200KB. We have apx 12000 members, even if they ALL used an avatar at the maximum size that'd only be 2.34GB. I have more space than that free on my phone...[/quote]

Thats my point. an ASCII character ("a") is 1 byte, 1kb = 1024 bytes, so 1 avatar = 204800 characters! (unless my shoddy math is mistaken!). that's not a lot of storage for yer average sale thread.

anyways, i apologise for the digression and pedantry, im just pointing out the 'saving space' thing makes as much sense as raping the country to keep banks in bonuses.

I can't see any reason why "for sale" threads should be deleted. They're dead useful. Either for provenance of a particular item, or for comparing the value of other items.

I do think their should be a rule that for sale threads have a status in the title - FOR SALE/WITHDRAWN/SOLD/SWAPPED FOR MAGIC BEANS etc. That would clear a lot of it up for me.

I would prefer to be able trace the history of anything i buy on here if possible. I know most of us dont try and rip others off but I sold a bass on here a couple of years ago and was asked to remove the price by the buyer. I was happy to do that as it was done and dusted.
Then it turns up a month or so later for quite a bit more than i sold it for but of course i couldn't say anything. I know its down to the seller to name a price and nothing to do with me but to ask me to take my price down first left a bitter taste.

I really think its a little unfair to brand someone as 'paranoid' because they dont want their personal possessions and any other details on a website. I think that is just being cautious.

I like the trust on this site, but it would not be hard for someone to become part of Basschat and cause havoc.

I stopped listing my gear because it changes so much (although Im happy to stop now), because the signature was too large, and because there was a lot of information about expensive instruments.

I dont think Ive deleted for sale posts, but if someone wants to that is their choice. I can see the advantage of a back catalogue of prices, but CONDITION makes a massive difference.

Edited by Musicman20

Thanks guys, some interesting points.

As you may have guessed, I think we should have some guidelines on FS posts being deleted. It has caused problems for members in the past, and as the site gets bigger, I'm sure it will do so more often. I think a decent response to those who think posts should be deleted is as follows

1. Any security risk of leaving an FS thread live is with the buyer. If this is a concern to you as the buyer, pursue the sale through PM. In this way, despite the thread being live, no-one will know who they buyer was. Yes, eBay does delete completed listings after a while, but ebay is a commercial shop, not a community and resource. It also has very real capacity problems.
2. If security of a BC deal is a concern, think very carefully about how easy it is to identify you from your username/avatar/hyperlinks. Several members here have revised one or more of these after realising that making them too transparent can have its problems. I, for example, am not Beedster; I look like Brad Pitt and live in Rio. I am 6 foot 3 and dating several supermodels. I also own several Italian sports cars from the '60s. The idiot in the avatar and all other information on my page is a cunning distraction.
3. If you don't want Mrs Bassplayer to know how much you've spent on a bass, for god's sake, don't let her look at Basschat. If she does, buy her some shoes. That being said, I didn't start this thread as a call for ongoing price comparison, which as a couple of guys have pointed out, can have it's problems (ebay, being an auction and having a far larger database, is often a better indication of right-now price anyway). I have never been unduly worried by prices being removed, more by whole basses or threads being so.

They're just my thoughts. I'm sure better heads have better thoughts both ways. I think the FS thread is a valuable resource for bass nerds, and that's what a lot of us are. It's useful as a indication of what people think of certain basses, how quickly certain basses get moved on ("It's the best bass I've ever owned". OK, so why are you selling it after two weeks...? I'm not having a go, I've done it myself!), what sort of people play what instruments, what to look out for in terms of authenticity, originality, damage, mods etc, and probably a lot more things I can't think of as I'm aware I'm supposed to be working right now! However, what i do know is that as this site gets bigger, there will be more and more people selling ringers, bitsas, and even stolen gear here. If those sellers can simply delete all trace of their transactions - and remember BC does not, and should not, offer the security and protection of ebay, so the thread is an important part of the process - then we will probably have problems in the future. OK, the current seller can, as suggested above, print the thread. But what if he or she realises they've bought a wrong'un and the seller doesn't play ball? The easier option for the new owner is simply to resell the thing on BC...

Bloody hell, an essay! Hope some of it makes sense :)

C

PS Liam, this thread certainly wasn't aimed at your FS thread, although yours was a catalyst. Having made my point here I'll delete the comments on yours.

Too lazy to read all of this thread (soz!).

But I'm guessing that people delete all of the background 'blurb' in sales threads so that potential buyers don't have to scroll to the last page to find out whether the product in question has been sold.

I.e. it avoids people checking out the first page then sending the seller a PM asking whether it's still for sale.

Might be helpful if this topic had a poll, either delete asking price/info or keep it as an archive.

Personally I leave all asking prices, pics & info on my FS threads, and just mark them sold. Assuming you haggle like a proper pikey, actual sale prices are usually discussed by PM so are seldom mentioned. Some self-hosted pics will disappear if webspace gets cleaned up etc.

I've always found old FS threads very useful when establishing the price of a particular bit of equipment or researching the history of something specific. Deleting or editing info can make this frustrating, and in my view is utterly pointless. So don't do it, kids!

Jon.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1155219' date='Mar 9 2011, 12:58 PM']Too lazy to read all of this thread (soz!).

But I'm guessing that people delete all of the background 'blurb' in sales threads so that potential buyers don't have to scroll to the last page to find out whether the product in question has been sold.

I.e. it avoids people checking out the first page then sending the seller a PM asking whether it's still for sale.[/quote]

You only need to edit the title of the thread or the first post to read "Sold" or whatever, you dont need ot delete anything.
Anyone who can be bothered to read the thread title, or figure out what sold means will know its been sold, not that that stops people from expecting it to still be available :-)

Interesting discussion. I think it's good to leave an opening post with details, pictures & asking price available after it's sold, as I find it a bit frustrating when searching for info & find the details have disappeared. Understand that pics need deleting for space though - is there a set time for deletion, or is it just when space is needed?

I also like the idea of having a template for marketplace threads - don't know much about message board software, but if there could be a fixed format for original posts (restricted editing, validation that everything's there to meet house rules etc.) then it would certainly simplify things. Might not be possible without a bit of development, mind...

Cheers,

B.

I'm assuming that most people who delete information from posts are trying to prevent disappointment from fellow BCers who open up a post only to find the item is sold. I however think it's useful to see the going rate for gear. Not only to help other sellers choose an asking price, but also for buyers to know what is a reasonable rate. I just wish everyone remembered to edit the title to say 'SOLD' once in a while :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1155170' date='Mar 9 2011, 12:31 PM']I really think its a little unfair to brand someone as 'paranoid' because they dont want their personal possessions and any other details on a website. I think that is just being cautious.

I like the trust on this site, but it would not be hard for someone to become part of Basschat and cause havoc.

I stopped listing my gear because it changes so much (although Im happy to stop now), because the signature was too large, and because there was a lot of information about expensive instruments.

I dont think Ive deleted for sale posts, but if someone wants to that is their choice. I can see the advantage of a back catalogue of prices, but CONDITION makes a massive difference.[/quote]

They allready know that you live in Lincolnshire and now know that you have all these expensive instruments.

You fell right into their trap!

[quote name='Tee' post='1156773' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:03 PM']When i've sold basses in the past, i removed the pictures after the sale (but left all other info) so that certain types don't copy them and set up fake adverts elsewhere.[/quote]

This is probably the only plausible reason I've read so far for deleting any part of a 'for sale' ad once the item has sold.

Personally speaking, I've recently bought something that turned out to be something I didn't recall it being advertised as, but by the time I'd received it, all relevant material from the advert had been completely erased and I'm left wondering if I'm just blind and didn't see it, which might well be the case, but not knowing leaves me with a nagging doubt.

Put 'SOLD' on the title and leave the rest of it well alone, I say.

[quote name='Rumble' post='1157068' date='Mar 10 2011, 07:15 PM']This is probably the only plausible reason I've read so far for deleting any part of a 'for sale' ad once the item has sold.

Personally speaking, I've recently bought something that turned out to be something I didn't recall it being advertised as, but by the time I'd received it, all relevant material from the advert had been completely erased and I'm left wondering if I'm just blind and didn't see it, which might well be the case, but not knowing leaves me with a nagging doubt.

Put 'SOLD' on the title and leave the rest of it well alone, I say.[/quote]
+1 on all of that.

A way around the advert being deleted before you've checked the goods is to save the page early on.

[quote name='Machines' post='1153552' date='Mar 8 2011, 10:58 AM']. FThreads and posts take up miniscule amounts of disk space compared to one image attachment (we have plenty of disk space anyway).[/quote]
Famous last words.. we're short on disk space ! Expect an (oversized) attachment cull within a day or 2. There will be an announcement prior to this.