Why become a member? ×

Solo Bass Stuff!

TomKent

I've had a few ideas for various melodic and chordal based things for soloing on bass recently, thought I'd throw some down on video (it's reminded me how much I love slapping.. but how much I hate dead strings).

[quote name='TomKent' post='1156119' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:15 AM']25 views and no comments?

C'mon people! :)[/quote]

Haha! You always get this on here! People yapping about gear and tone and technique all day, but if you post a clip or a video, you get one comment per 20 downloads or views.

I think we have to accept that most people don't really know how to describe music when they hear it, despite them rabidly describing everything else. They will mostly only know if they like it or not, if they don't most will decline to comment. However, if it's a cover of someone else's bass line, then that allows them to COMPARE, which makes it much easier for them to express a view and consequently you get many more.

I think what you did shows you have very good technique on the bass, and a creative and melodic musical mind. Impressive :)

[quote name='TomKent' post='1156119' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:15 AM']25 views and no comments?

C'mon people! :)[/quote]
I wouldn't take it personally. I posted a link to some of my music years ago and I'm still waiting for a reply. :)

I wasn't crazy about the slapping bit, but then I not crazy about slapping full stop. Too much of it around. As Stuart Clayton said working the tapping piece into a longer tune would work fine. That sounded good.

Fact is you stuck your head above the parapet which is something a lot of players wouldn't have the courage to do. Well done.

TBH this is the first time I've actually had a look at this thread - Silddx brought it to my attention through another thread. I enjoyed what you did and the use of the octave/chords was interesting (i'll probably end up nicking half of it) - if you hadn't mentioned that the strings were dead I wouldn't have noticed (does this mean I probably need to change the strings on my own bass??)... :) :)

I'm now a converted viewer of the "Recording" thread..this probably means more time on BC and less practicing!! :lol: :D :P

Thanks for the nice comments guys :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1156954' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:35 PM']Also you should sync the pictures and sound.[/quote]

I'm unfortunate in the extent of, I was (up until now) using iMovie to make these on the iSight camera. I've now got Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and I'm going to buy a decent DSLR/HD Cam in April. Production levels will be substantially higher soon, however till I sort out a new camera.. the FPS is gonna be awful. :)

[quote name='TomKent' post='1156979' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:56 PM']....however till I sort out a new camera.. the FPS is gonna be awful....[/quote]
But the playing, ideas and execution were good. Also, I was serious about those strings. Keep them!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1157006' date='Mar 10 2011, 06:19 PM']But the playing, ideas and execution were good. Also, I was serious about those strings. Keep them!![/quote]

Cheers man. Bit late in regards to the strings, just changed them for the bass show. :)

@EssentialTension - I've found loads of people not liking slap these days, maybe due to the over-use of it at times (when it's not needed anyway..)?

[quote name='silddx' post='1156768' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:00 PM']Haha! You always get this on here! People yapping about gear and tone and technique all day, but if you post a clip or a video, you get one comment per 20 downloads or views.

I think we have to accept that most people don't really know how to describe music when they hear it, despite them rabidly describing everything else. They will mostly only know if they like it or not, if they don't most will decline to comment. However, if it's a cover of someone else's bass line, then that allows them to COMPARE, which makes it much easier for them to express a view and consequently you get many more.

I think what you did shows you have very good technique on the bass, and a creative and melodic musical mind. Impressive :)[/quote]
I agree to an extent! In addition, i also feel that people comment more when the stuff posted isn't so great. It's seems to be easier to criticise than praise.

Hi,

Great stuff. I'm neither a fan of chordal/tapping stuff, but can appreciate your skill and acute sense of melody. I listened to it before reading the full OP, and my immediate thought was "what a great slap sound, meaty and punchy, none of that modern clickety stuff", then read your comment about dead strings!
Great technique and with good timing too - nice one.