Why become a member? ×

Fret dressing

fryer

I bought a Hagstrom HB 8 last year, and just started playing it. But the ends of the frets stick out past the fretboard. Not much obviously, but enough to feel when I run my fingers along it.

Is it just a matter of filing them down a bit ? What's the best way to protect the wood ?

get some very thin rigid plastic sheet and cut a u slot in it. The width of your frets. masking tape the closed end (bottom of the U ) to the back of the neck with the the bottom of the U just below where the fret tang ends in the fingerboard wood. Pull the other 2 pieces tight over the finger board and file from the playing surface of the fret down towrds the body of the neck. Filing any other way could loosen the fret.

Oh and off to repairs and tech.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1152066' date='Mar 6 2011, 11:53 PM']Is it a rosewood baord? Sometimes they can dry up and shrink, especially with aircon and central heating. Soaking the board in lemon oil can have a surprisingly dramatic effect. Skimming the ends off then doing it is the even better option.[/quote]

Thanks Mr F. Any lemon oil, or is there something specific for this ?

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1152162' date='Mar 7 2011, 08:04 AM']get some very thin rigid plastic sheet and cut a u slot in it. The width of your frets. masking tape the closed end (bottom of the U ) to the back of the neck with the the bottom of the U just below where the fret tang ends in the fingerboard wood. Pull the other 2 pieces tight over the finger board and file from the playing surface of the fret down towrds the body of the neck. Filing any other way could loosen the fret.

Oh and off to repairs and tech.[/quote]

Thanks Mr B. Good point about filing downwards.

[quote name='fryer' post='1153013' date='Mar 7 2011, 09:05 PM']Thanks Mr F. Any lemon oil, or is there something specific for this ?[/quote]

I've had the same bottle since I started oiling my boards, except I just lost it in the move, I don't really know what brand is preferable, but look for one for treating boards rather than cleaning, I think some is lemon smelling cleaning stuff rather than actual oily stuff that soaks into the wood.

I use a lemon oil from 'Guitarsweet' that I bought at a music show some years back, however their site address doesn't work and a quick google draws a blank. You could try Gerlitz GGH Guitar Honey Fingerboard Treatment - around £3-£4

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you? I do a couple of days a week in Hartney Wintney near Fleet - could lend you my stuff.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1154491' date='Mar 8 2011, 09:02 PM']I use a lemon oil from 'Guitarsweet' that I bought at a music show some years back, however their site address doesn't work and a quick google draws a blank. You could try Gerlitz GGH Guitar Honey Fingerboard Treatment - around £3-£4

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you? I do a couple of days a week in Hartney Wintney near Fleet - could lend you my stuff.[/quote]

That would be brilliant thank you. I'm in Heckfield, about 4 miles from HW. Richard