Why become a member? ×

GOODFELLOW NIGHTINGALE BASS

owen3371

for sale an early nightingale bass in excellent condition,bought off a fellow basschatter a couple of yeard ago,ive decided to sell it to fund another prospective purchase from another basschatter,the bass has an awesome sound from slap to heavy rock fitted with sims leds and just been serviced a couple of weeks ago£600.
i,ll upload more photos tomorrow it also comes with an excellent hard case.
owen Edited by owen3371

[quote name='owen3371' post='1151836' date='Mar 6 2011, 08:12 PM']for sale an early nightingale bass in excellent condition,bought off a fellow basschatter a couple of yeard ago,ive decided to sell it to fund another prospective purchase from another basschatter,the bass has an awesome sound from slap to heavy rock fitted with sims leds and just been serviced a couple of weeks ago£750.
owen :)[/quote]
Good luck with the sale owen

[quote name='owen3371' post='1151836' date='Mar 6 2011, 08:12 PM']for sale an early nightingale bass in excellent condition[/quote]
Hiya
it looks very nice but more information might be helpful: Fingerboard ebony or rosewood?, Body woods? Year? I have a Goodfellow classic and admire his work-
best of luck, joe

the bass is around 1988,im not sure of wood used but it seems exotic enough,on the fretboard there is what looks like a small blemish but its part of the wood that bernie used,it gives the fingerboard character :) ,circuit board is embossed with "the bass" which is a bernie trademark.
ive only gigged with it for a year{i bought a modulus flea which is my main bass for four years} so its been kept under the bed in the hardwood tolex covered case,ive had it on here for sale last year,but couldnt bear to part with it :lol: but ive seen an awesome bass on here and id really like it :D you know how it is :P .so ive included more photos that will speak for themselves :) .

Hi.

This was my bass for a while, and it was one of my favourites, having a superb tone and it was very easy to play with an incredibly low action. The leds are a great colour as well!

I was under the impression that the fingerboard was macassar ebony, which has natural swirls and patterns in it, and its certainly not a flaw of any kind! The wood looks like some kind of burl, and had a wonderful smell (which I often wondered about!)

Its a really nice bass, and is on my shortlist of instruments that I miss.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='owen3371' post='1151836' date='Mar 6 2011, 09:12 PM']:lol: for sale an early nightingale bass in excellent condition,bought off a fellow basschatter a couple of yeard ago,ive decided to sell it to fund another prospective purchase from another basschatter,the bass has an awesome sound from slap to heavy rock fitted with sims leds and just been serviced a couple of weeks ago£750.
owen :)[/quote]
Still for sale :)

I have this unusual example of Bernie G's original basses, which 'disappears' if you happen to be wearing a grey, herringbone suit whilst playing (!).
Re. the 'Nightingale'(s) - I thought these were all built by Bernie's early/former partner Neil MacDonald ?!!

Edited by eubassix

Remember seeing one of these in a shop in Soho sq in the 80's.
It had a spalted top and looked like marble, never seen anything like it and was completely blown away with it.
I had just bought my beloved Pangborn so couldnt afford it ....or it would have come straight home with me.
Lovely lovely basses !!

[quote name='eubassix' post='1229922' date='May 13 2011, 01:59 PM']Re. the 'Nightingale'(s) - I thought these were all built by Bernie's early/former partner Neil MacDonald ?!![/quote]

They were built by both of them....

I used to have one of these - a nice 4-string Nightingale, the old shape with the yin-yang/bird's face logo on the headstock, with a genuine MM pickup in the bridge position and a lovely snakewood fingerboard. Loved it, one of the ones I regret selling the most. The thing sounded massive.

Anyone have any idea of what happened to Neil McDonald? I've not heard anything about him since he moved out of that little basement shop he had in Denmark St.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='owen3371' timestamp='1299442369' post='1151836']
for sale an early nightingale bass in excellent condition,bought off a fellow basschatter a couple of yeard ago,ive decided to sell it to fund another prospective purchase from another basschatter,the bass has an awesome sound from slap to heavy rock fitted with sims leds and just been serviced a couple of weeks ago£600.
owen
[/quote]
bump!

• 2 weeks later...