Why become a member? ×

Matching cabs and amps

simon1964

I confess to be completely ignorant on these matters, so could do with some advice!

I mainly use a Mark Bass 1x15 combo for gigging. I have an old Ashdown MAG 2x10 cab sitting around never getting used, and was wondering whether I could use that as an extension cab?

Problem is, the combo is rated 500w @ 4 ohms, and 300w @ 8 ohms (and according to the Mark Bass website has an impedence of 8 ohms).

The Ashdown cab is 200w, 8ohms. Can I safely use the Ashdown cab, or am I going to cause damage to the cab, amp, or both?!

I'm sure its a bloody stupid question, but as I say, I am completely ignorant in these matters, so thanks in advance!

Edited by simon1964

Don't worry it's not a stupid question.

So if the internal speaker of the MB is 8 ohms the amp will put out a maximum of 300 watts into just the internal speaker. Add the Ashdown then the combo amp is connected to two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, so it will see a nominal load of 4 ohms and deliver a maximum of 250 watts to each.

Even though the Ashdown is only rated at 200 watts it should be fine.