Why become a member? ×

Gauge/ string type recommendations.

Blondino

Having been somewhat of a casual bassist until recently, I'm used to only buying about one set of strings per year. But everytime I go to a shop, I completely forget what gauge and brand I used the previous time. I just rely on the shop assistant to tell me that "this is the gauge most people use", who then just gives me what I assume to be a random generic brand of nickel-coated strings.

My main bass is an Ibanez GWB 35. I remember being more than satisfied with the original gauge, and assume I have inadvertently stuck with it since I haven't had to do any major truss-rod adjustments.

Would anyone be so kind as to suggest a likely gauge for this instrument, and, whilst your at it, a decent brand to boot?

Much obliged.

Tom

[quote name='Blondino' post='1151462' date='Mar 6 2011, 02:04 PM']Having been somewhat of a casual bassist until recently, I'm used to only buying about one set of strings per year. But everytime I go to a shop, I completely forget what gauge and brand I used the previous time. I just rely on the shop assistant to tell me that "this is the gauge most people use", who then just gives me what I assume to be a random generic brand of nickel-coated strings.

My main bass is an Ibanez GWB 35. I remember being more than satisfied with the original gauge, and assume I have inadvertently stuck with it since I haven't had to do any major truss-rod adjustments.

Would anyone be so kind as to suggest a likely gauge for this instrument, and, whilst your at it, a decent brand to boot?

Much obliged.

Tom[/quote]
It depends on all sorts of things, including genre, the kind of sound you need, and simply personal preference so I'm not going to recommend a string type or gauge.

However, keep the packet then you'll always know what strings you bought last time.

Most basses tend to come with roundwound strings in a standard gauge. If you are happy with that set up, that is what to ask for. I remember being challenged in my teens by shop staff about whether I wanted roundwound or flatwound and being made to feel stupid because I didn't know. It wasn't a helpful attitude at the time & I agree by simply asking a few simple questions about people's style & influences you can usually find the right string.

Its worth having a look at your favourite bassists, and seeing that if there is a common brand between them.

Virtually all of my faves use Rotosounds, and having tried many different brands, Rotos for me too.

I also favour heavy gauge, as I`m more of a "sit at the bottom, nothing fancy" bassist, so gauge can depend on your style.

There are of course many exceptions to these facts, but I think its a good starting point.

I can't say what would work for you....

I like:

DR Hi Beams and Fatbeams - great for slapping but have lots of character and last for ages - but expensive and feel a little grabby under the fingers when new
Ernie Ball Slinkeys - nice balanced tone, feel quite smooth, pretty inexpensive and easy to find in music shops
Status Hotwires - quite bassy but with some top end zing - pretty inexpensive

You might also want to try coated strings as they sound fresh for ages, buy a set and you may never need to buy any more strings again! Elixirs are very popular here.

If you want a thumpier sound with less hi frequencies then try some flat wounds or half wounds, they feel smooth under your fingers but I struggle a little with the extra friction.

Guages are down to personal preference. If you find the E string is a bit flappy then go for heavier strings. If you prefer a slightly twangier sound go lighter guage, a lot of people who slap seem to use lighter guages.

But the only way to find out for sure what works for you is to try as many different strings as possible.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1151556' date='Mar 6 2011, 03:50 PM']Buy 2 packs, always keep one pack spare in your case or bag.

Liam[/quote]

+1 BassDirect does 2 packs of Elites for £30 inc postage (Or he did?) just paypal him and choose your flavour. They last [i]way[/i] longer than Roto's too.

Im a 40-100 guy but 45-105 may be what your after if thats what was on it that you liked. Do you know anyone that has a bass with a known gauge of strings you can try before spending a fair few quid on something too fat or too thin? I dont think the feel from make to make will be as important right now so thickness rather than make might be your best option, It wouldnt surprise me if your local music shop doesnt know whats fitted on any of their basses either but worth a try as they should let you compare what they have in stock to a few basses hanging up. Ernie balls are foil sealed though so I doubt anyone will open a pack of those without buying.