Why become a member? ×

Nervous.

pikeman

I've not played in a band for almost 20 years. I suffered a serious hand injury which put paid to my career as a session bassist.
About 2 years ago I set myself a challenge to play the bass again and lots of time and pain and hard work has now got me to the stage where I think I could play live again.
To cut a long story short, I've an audition with a gigging band tomorrow. I'm one of 6 bassists trying out and not very confident of getting the gig but that's not the point, just being at the stage of having a bass in my hands and playing with other musicians in something I never thought I'd see again.
I'm very nervous but quite pleased with myself at the same time.
Wish me luck.

Thanks for your kind wishes. I've been given 45 minutes to impress so it is a bit of a baptism of fire.
However it turns out I'm sure I'll enjoy it and hopefully my first step back to doing something that used to be my job but has always been my love.
I'm thinking of taking the Dark (Sue) Ryder P bass with me, that should get some sympathy. :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1151113' date='Mar 6 2011, 07:12 AM']You've put two years into getting to the point that YOU feel you're ready.

To me that speaks volumes. :)

Wishing you all the very best![/quote]
Spot on!

You played for a living in the past, so you obviously know what it takes to cut it.
And I'm sure your standards are quite high.

So if [b]YOU[/b] feel that you are ready, then I'm sure you are.

Best of luck, and do let us know how you got on.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1151063' date='Mar 5 2011, 11:58 PM']Bad Company picked Boz Burrell (RIP) because he was an nice n easy chap to get along with, not because of his playing ability. On that note, just have fun!! :)[/quote]

+1 to this.

More than half the audition will be about the chemistry between you and the other band members.

Good luck.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='1151140' date='Mar 6 2011, 08:32 AM']+1 to this.

More than half the audition will be about the chemistry between you and the other band members.

Good luck.[/quote]

Agreed - I'm in a far better band than I should be and it's because I'm easy to get along with. I got the nod in favour of a couple of other bassists who were far more talented because I fitted in.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Wow, I'm really feeling the love here guys. Group hug time. :)
Thank you all for your great words of encouragement.
Well, everything is packed so if I don't know the six songs they've given me by now , I never will.
I just wish they hadn't added Stevie Wonder's "I wish", that one really gets the fingers in a tangle.
I'm taking the Dark Ryder with the Ibanez as a back up.
I don't suppose I'll hear back from them for a few days but I'll give you my impressions this evening.
Thanks again , funnily enough I don't feel too nervous today.

If you have been able to play for a living on sessions, then you should have been more than useful. I can't imagine how hard it has been to come back from something that took that all away but you should have a wealth of experience that could shade the other guys anyway. If only in arranging, sound and general demeanor within a band context

I can't quite guage whether you want the chair or just want to get back into the frame but best of luck with it.
If..as a lot of bands seem to do..they look at potential instead of immediate capability, and you think you can get back some of your skill-set, I wouldn't be having any worries.

I would probably let them know a bit of background about why you are where you are playing-wise as well.

Oh bugger, I've just had a phone call and the audition has been cancelled, the singer has a migraine.
All that worrying for nothing.
No date set for another audition yet.
I've gone from nervous to disappointed.
Sorry to put you guys through it with me.
Still feeling the love though. :)

Steve.

You've obviously put a lot into this audition so keep at it and good luck.

A Migraine and cancelled the audition with 6 bassists lined up. Mmm !!!

I still go to work when I take a migraine.

What will happen if its a gig.

On the plus side you have more time to prepare.

All the very best
Dave
:)

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1151265' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:52 AM']You've obviously put a lot into this audition so keep at it and good luck.

A Migraine and cancelled the audition with 6 bassists lined up. Mmm !!!

I still go to work when I take a migraine.

What will happen if its a gig.

On the plus side you have more time to prepare.

All the very best
Dave
:)[/quote]

Just what I was thinking Dave. I still have to work with a migraine and I'm a photographer, thank God for autofocus.
As you say, it gives me time to prepare a bit more.
I was just talking the my better half and realised in all my years of playing, going back to the 60's, I've never actually had an audition of any kind.
I suppose having to prove ones ability is something I'll have to come to terms with.

[quote name='pikeman' post='1151252' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:46 AM']Oh bugger, I've just had a phone call and the audition has been cancelled, the singer has a migraine.[/quote]

Hey - Bonus!!!

You can spend some more time getting your "I Wish" finger tanglement issues sorted out now. :)