Why become a member? ×

Fairport Convention

gelfin

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1149991' date='Mar 4 2011, 09:39 PM']Not seen Fairport since Cropredy 1986 but almost went to see them in Loughborough the other night. I just couldn't quite bring myself to get tickets, I think its cos although they're still brilliant, it's just not the same for me without Swarb or RT....[/quote]

I had a gig tuesday night when they were in Loughborough (decided they needed some competition!) or I'd have caught them there - gotta be better than trying to navigate round/through/under Birmingham... :)

I think the current lineup is probably one of, if not the, longest running one's they've ever had.
Richard Thompson obviously has his own solo career and I'm amazed Dave Swarbrick is still with us - he's a man who just refuses to give up! :)
They do all get back together ocasionally though rather seldomly (Swarb as well!).
You might still catch the old lineup...

Blimey, are they still alive?

I haven't seen these guys for a while, but I did see varous line-ups with Sandy Denny, Swarb, Richard Thompson and Jerry Donahue in the '70s. Happy days. Maybe it's time to check them out again.

I didn't go to the Newark school of violinmaking, but I had a friend who did (and he smuggled me in to the woodwind tutor Louie's lecture where he made drills out of piano wire, something which has stayed with me ever since). An extraordinary place and you guys are privileged to have studied there, you must really know your stuff.

[quote name='icastle' post='1150000' date='Mar 4 2011, 09:55 PM']I had a gig tuesday night when they were in Loughborough (decided they needed some competition!) or I'd have caught them there - gotta be better than trying to navigate round/through/under Birmingham... :)

I think the current lineup is probably one of, if not the, longest running one's they've ever had.
Richard Thompson obviously has his own solo career and I'm amazed Dave Swarbrick is still with us - he's a man who just refuses to give up! :)
They do all get back together ocasionally though rather seldomly (Swarb as well!).
You might still catch the old lineup...[/quote]

I saw Richard Thompson at Moira last year, Swarb was the support act.... They did a few songs together and I don't mind admitting that I had tears in my eyes....

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1150035' date='Mar 4 2011, 10:20 PM']I saw Richard Thompson at Moira last year, Swarb was the support act.... They did a few songs together and I don't mind admitting that I had tears in my eyes....[/quote]

Still being a bit of a 'newbie' to the area I didn't actually realise that Moira was on my doorstep until it was too late. :)
They've got Jez Lowe this summer so I'll definately be along to catch that! :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1150097' date='Mar 4 2011, 11:07 PM']Still being a bit of a 'newbie' to the area I didn't actually realise that Moira was on my doorstep until it was too late. :lol:
They've got Jez Lowe this summer so I'll definately be along to catch that! :)[/quote]

The outdoor ampitheatre at Conkers is a great venue, take a cushion though! :)

I've been reading this thread with lots of interest.
Anyone else read 'Electric Eden' by Rob Young? It came out last year, subtitled 'Unearthing Britain's visionary music' it's a big fat attempt to survey and explain 'folk' music in Britain. Lots of stuff about Fairport as you would expect, but it really is a good read all round. Highly recommended and not just for 'folk' fans. The author does a great job of illustrating how all music of all genres links and inter-weaves.
Personally I like the Fairport with Sandy Denny on vocals and Ashley Hutchings on bass best. But we ain't going to see that band live again!

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1150135' date='Mar 4 2011, 11:44 PM']I've been reading this thread with lots of interest.
Anyone else read 'Electric Eden' by Rob Young? It came out last year, subtitled 'Unearthing Britain's visionary music' it's a big fat attempt to survey and explain 'folk' music in Britain. Lots of stuff about Fairport as you would expect, but it really is a good read all round. Highly recommended and not just for 'folk' fans. The author does a great job of illustrating how all music of all genres links and inter-weaves.
Personally I like the Fairport with Sandy Denny on vocals and Ashley Hutchings on bass best. But we ain't going to see that band live again![/quote]

Not read it but I will track a copy down :)
Somewhere I've got a printed 'family tree' showing all the connections between Fairport members and various other bands - the author has written a little note in the corner along the lines of "next time you b*st*rds change lineups, you can do your own bl**dy chart!"

Obviously we're not gonna see Sandy again, but Ashley did play bass at a Fairport Reunion gig a little while back (Reynardine IIRC) and Simon Nicol still tours with Ashley for the Albion Christmas Band gigs so the artistic differences have obviously faded over the years. :)

Edited by icastle

I didn't make the gig last night, so I'll have to be content with quietly whistling Matty Groves whilst scraping mud off me boots. :)

Oh well, it may have been a wasted £22 but I did save myself a few quids worth of petrol and my usual ritual of driving around in circles and inventing new swear words to describe the Birmingham City planners... :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1150131' date='Mar 4 2011, 11:39 PM']The outdoor ampitheatre at Conkers is a great venue, take a cushion though! :)[/quote]

I've seen brown signs for 'Conkers' around the Measham M42 island area I think?

Whenever I move house I move big time (Bedfordshire to Wales, Wales to Dorset, Dorset to Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire to Leicestershire) and I always spend the first few years in geographic limbo... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1151125' date='Mar 6 2011, 07:47 AM']I've seen brown signs for 'Conkers' around the Measham M42 island area I think?

Whenever I move house I move big time (Bedfordshire to Wales, Wales to Dorset, Dorset to Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire to Leicestershire) and I always spend the first few years in geographic limbo... :)[/quote]

Yes, I think Conkers is sign posted from pretty much everywhere around here. Not to be confused with Moira miners welfare though, who also put on gigs and is home to the national forest folk club (I think) Although it is just across the road....

You certainly do move big time don't you? Must be a nightmare with all those cats! :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1151172' date='Mar 6 2011, 09:39 AM']You certainly do move big time don't you? Must be a nightmare with all those cats! :)[/quote]

The cats were a new addition.
It just used to be me, a transit van and a pile of boxes - life was simpler back in the olden times... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1151268' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:53 AM']The cats were a new addition.
It just used to be me, a transit van and a pile of boxes - life was simpler back in the olden times... :)[/quote]

Ha ha...you can't be that much of a newbie round here then, if you had time to accumulate, what was it, 29? cats! :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1151285' date='Mar 6 2011, 11:09 AM']Ha ha...you can't be that much of a newbie round here then, if you had time to accumulate, what was it, 29? cats! :)[/quote]

You'd be shocked at how many cats you can get infested with in a short period of time. :)
Went from 3 to 29 in the space of about 18 months!

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1150135' date='Mar 4 2011, 11:44 PM']I've been reading this thread with lots of interest.
Personally I like the Fairport with Sandy Denny on vocals and Ashley Hutchings on bass best. But we ain't going to see that band live again![/quote]

I was going to ask if anyone could recommend a history/bio of Fairport. I latched onto them through hearing "Autopsy" on John Peel's show, tracked back to the earlier albums and lost interest after "Liege and Lief". Never really understood all the comings and goings - has anyone written that story?

I sat opposite Iain Matthews on a tube train in 1970. I only realised when I saw him onstage with Matthews Southern Comfort a couple of hours later and recognised his jacket.

The odd thing is I never thought much of the first album at the time, but now I'm finding them on Youtube, they're the tracks that make the hairs stand up on my neck, not the later ones.

The slightly related band I thought was lost forever was Eclection - with Gerry Conway on drums and Trevor Lucas on bass.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1151919' date='Mar 6 2011, 09:30 PM']I was going to ask if anyone could recommend a history/bio of Fairport. I latched onto them through hearing "Autopsy" on John Peel's show, tracked back to the earlier albums and lost interest after "Liege and Lief". Never really understood all the comings and goings - has anyone written that story?

I sat opposite Iain Matthews on a tube train in 1970. I only realised when I saw him onstage with Matthews Southern Comfort a couple of hours later and recognised his jacket.

The odd thing is I never thought much of the first album at the time, but now I'm finding them on Youtube, they're the tracks that make the hairs stand up on my neck, not the later ones.

The slightly related band I thought was lost forever was Eclection - with Gerry Conway on drums and Trevor Lucas on bass.

[/quote]

I don't think there's been an 'up to date' bio since about the mid 80's.

There's a pretty complete version of the 'comings and goings' of various band members [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairport_Convention"]here[/url].

GREAT band and incredibly tight as a live act!

As has been mentioned above - Chris Leslie is a lovely guy, as is my good friend Ric Sanders - a gentler, more sincere person you'd be hard-pressed to find. :)

[quote name='cetera' post='1152380' date='Mar 7 2011, 12:07 PM']GREAT band and incredibly tight as a live act!

As has been mentioned above - Chris Leslie is a lovely guy, as is my good friend Ric Sanders - a gentler, more sincere person you'd be hard-pressed to find. :)[/quote]

Absolutely.
Have met them all a couple of times now and they are just such down to earth guys.

Many years ago Dave Pegg was proudly telling me that he was planning on doing his entire tour on one set of strings and was astonished when I told him that I knew what they were (Elixir's had only just arrived in the UK at the time and weren't on general sale).
We spent a very nerdy half hour talking bass sh*t in the bar - he's a very clued up guy.

[quote name='KevB' post='1152464' date='Mar 7 2011, 01:36 PM']Still never got round to seeing them, I really should before they retire.[/quote]

Oh man, you've really got to see them.
Not only are they superb musicians but they're very entertaining as well.

I went to one Fairport gig and Ric Sanders came out on stage on his own and just chatted to the first couple of rows, just everyday stuff like where had they come from and what they had for tea.
He explained that the rest of the band were getting on a bit and it was taking them time to get their surgical appliances in order, so he'd come out to make sure we didn't scarper.

He pulled a scrap of music paper from his pocket and announced that it was something he'd been working on for a couple of days.
He started to play it, huge swirling fiddle with overlayed echo, building layer on layer - oddly familiar but couldn't quite place it.... then he stopped!

He bent down, picked up the piece of music, turned it round the right way and said 'oops, my mistake' and played it the right way round as the rest of the band ran on stage to join in.

That guy is one mean fiddler and that had to be the wierdest but best stage entrance I've ever seen. :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1151992' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:36 PM']I don't think there's been an 'up to date' bio since about the mid 80's.

There's a pretty complete version of the 'comings and goings' of various band members [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairport_Convention"]here[/url].[/quote]

It's the motivations behind the earlier comings and goings that interests me, whereas the later lineups seem more about who's willing and available. So a good history written in the 1980s would do just fine. Can you recommend one?

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1152499' date='Mar 7 2011, 02:07 PM']It's the motivations behind the earlier comings and goings that interests me, whereas the later lineups seem more about who's willing and available. So a good history written in the 1980s would do just fine. Can you recommend one?[/quote]

I was loaned one many years ago that was pretty interesting but I don't remember the title (you're asking a man who usually forgets what he had for dinner the night before!) :)
It was a large paperback with a green cover and (I think) an old sepia toned photo of the band on the front.