Why become a member? ×

Fender CIJ 66RI Jazz -SOLD

Mr Cougar

Hey all, I have for sale my mint condition Crafted in Japan 66 reissue Jazz Bass.

Black with a tort pickguard and a matching black headstock, and a thumb rest.

Never really played it, bought a P bass straight after and it just doesn't get used, I've been over it with a finetooth comb and I can't find a mark on it

serial number R005534

Also what you can't see from the headstock shot is that bizzarely the 'Jazz Bass' is written in black so only shows up in a certain light -crazy Japs!!!

£500.

Delivery: I'm pretty flexible, come and have a look at it I'm in Scunny, or I can meet up with you anywhere near Scunny, Lincoln, Manchester, M62 Corridor or North Cheshire for petrol money. I'll put it into an old hard case I have if I have to post it.

Edited by Mr Cougar

A 66 reissue? Are you sure? Looks like the 75 to me. Only 66 reissue that I'm aware of is the Noel Redding jazz. Bullet truss rods weren't used until '71, and although Fender Japan don't get all the details correct I don't think they'd produce something like this as a 66.

Well I'm just going off what it said when I bought it, I suppose it doesn't really matter does it. Based on previous comments in the forum the acuracy of these models can be a bit of a mish mash, I don't think the RI status is the selling point really, it's a Jazz Bass, it sounds like a Jazz Bass and plays like one. It's made to look like a vintage instrument but in the end it was actually made a couple of years ago.

It has the bound rosewood and block inlays of a 66/67 but as far as I know the Japanese don't do an RI with Oval Tuners to match, moreover the bolting on the neck is 3 bolt which would be way wrong for 66, but it also has a thumb rest. I've always got the impression that they weren't trying to produce genuine copies, just inspired replicas, applying the tradiational values of Japanese quality control and precision manufacture and producing something which aped the characteristics of a vinatage. To be frank I'm not sure Fender ever made an instrument either in the 60s or 70s that looked like this, especially with the Black headstock and gold/black writing????

I've found it to be the best put together fender I've had my hands on other than my 82 fullerton, no rough edges, flawless finish, solid feeling instrument.

I don't know it's history, I got it new from Japan because I liked the look and fancied a Jazz, trouble is I have a Sandberg JM a couple of Precisions and some Stingrays so it just ain't getting used.

Edited by Mr Cougar

OK guys I've got a question about my own bass and I need some help Nottswarick has pointed out that the Fender site lists Jap mades as having R +5 digits, but mine has R + 6 digits, I know it's kosher since I've owned it from new but I'm just wondering what the situation is with this, it was made in 2006, so did they change the serial numbering or what?.

Like I said, I never really thought about it cos I got it new from Japan

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='132151' date='Feb 1 2008, 07:36 PM']?? - just curious..[/quote]

Richard and I have dealt with each other before and earlier on I was teasing him for selling too many basses and I'm selling one now, which I rarely do, so he's taking the mick!!!!

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='132225' date='Feb 1 2008, 09:19 PM']Richard and I have dealt with each other before and earlier on I was teasing him for selling too many basses and I'm selling one now, which I rarely do, so he's taking the mick!!!![/quote]

Dude,

Just PM'd you.

Please consider this sold!!! Call me when you get a chance and we can arrange collection

Cheers

Matt

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='132194' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:41 PM']OK guys I've got a question about my own bass and I need some help Nottswarick has pointed out that the Fender site lists Jap mades as having R +5 digits, but mine has R + 6 digits, I know it's kosher since I've owned it from new but I'm just wondering what the situation is with this, it was made in 2006, so did they change the serial numbering or what?.[/quote]

I've recently noticed this when checking the fender site about another potential purchase of mine (GAS!). I'd also like this one explained, if someone out there knows.

Cheers. :)

[quote name='the hand of john curley' post='132319' date='Feb 1 2008, 11:55 PM']Geezer, How you doing?!!

Couldn't help myself....It can join the Geddy Lee and the Ibanez BTB6 on the wall of fame!
Hope all is good with you?[/quote]

Hey dude, all good thanks, enjoying my new married life down here in sunny cheltenham, with a dew shiny new basses to keep me company!, still pop up to the old city of Leicester for the odd jam though!