Why become a member? ×

New Genz Streamliner 900 in the house!

wateroftyne

I see what your saying but if the cabs arent doing well with the 6 then the 9 aint going to help, I dont think your getting the best from the amp as it is yet anyway so it could all be pointless, Hopefully you will be back after the next gig saying you have sorted the volume issues between the input/output side and its rockin'. If its not then I would try and lend a 4 ohm 600w minimum 2x12 of some description and try it with that, I think you will find it aint your amp :)
If you were nearer Dave I would lend you mine to try but Im up north about 130+ miles from you. Try and find a forum member with a Genx NeoxT that doesnt swear by it some of them after going through most makes first.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1217372' date='May 2 2011, 11:36 AM']I meant I would still get around 575watts with a 8 ohm cab with the 900. I could then add another cab if and when.
With my 600 I'm stuck at 600 watts with the cab I have. If I want to try a other cab out, and i would prefer to get a 8 ohms for the reasons above, I won't be able to use the one I have with it so I would only have around 375 watts. That would be a step backwards.[/quote]

What I mean is I dont think you will need anymore cabs at all. Keep one of your 8 ohms for smaller gigs (I need an 8 ohm 1x12 myself for this reason).

Pete. I'll make this very quick as I'm about to out, I'll follow this up when I get back.

First off thanks for the help.

The only cab I have at the moment is my 4 ohms 1212L. I do also have a 4 ohms 1210R but I don't use it and as soon as I vet it back from my drummer I'll probably sell it. Eithe way at the moment I can only use one cab with the amp.

Your right though, after a few gigs lol probably settle down a bit. 500 watts has always been enough, I think it's more the change of tone rather than volume that's thrown me.
Saying that, I do still want a 900 but it's not a major concern. If I can get a good deal on a upgrade then I wil.

I'll be back later.

By the way, all my posts over the weekend have been from my iPod touch. It's been a struggle trying to get all this typed so so some of my posts have been cut short.

Edited by dave_bass5

No worries Dave Im ofetn on Itouch too and also I wrongly assumed that both your Schroeders were 8 Ohm! Silly me, Doh.

Just hang in there with the one cab for now and see how it goes next time then. As has been said in another thread hearing your cab down low can be an issue which also gives the NeoxT's an impression of being louder as the top speaker is quite high up compared to rival cabs. Tall and thin appears to be the way forward whatever brands we choose rather than low down and wide.

FWIW then I dont think raising the power is going to help at all, Imagine if you had all the same gear that you have now but both cabs were 8 ohms each and you could stack them up? Awesome I bet even with the 600 :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

• 4 months later...

Hi all!

Here's a few clips from a gig I did last night.

It's slightly muddy as it recorded from the back of the hall under a low ceiling.

P with flats > STL900 > 2 x Berg HS210s with a little post-EQ DI to the FOH.

I've pushed 220Hz and rolled the bass back a bit. It gives an idea of everything I love about this head - round, authoritative, no mud, and it punches like no other Class-D I've heard.

[url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/penguinz/born.mp3"]Song 1[/url]

[url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/penguinz/blueberry.mp3"]Song 2[/url] (My tuba impression!)

[url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/penguinz/shiftin.mp3"]Song 3[/url] (A bit of North-East England vernacular for you :))

[url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/penguinz/primrose.mp3"]Song 4[/url]

Very nice tone WoT. I'm wondering what one of these would be like through my new EAD cab. I love a warmer yet lower mid biased tone.

My other half and I have diagonally opposed taste in music (she thinks jazz it 'out of tune') and she loves these tracks. I admit I quite like em too.

Which band is it ?

Peter

[quote name='walbassist' post='1363218' date='Sep 5 2011, 06:34 PM']Has anyone noticed scracthy a scratchy volume pot on the Streamliner? I saw on TB that this is quite common?[/quote]

I did under the same conditions as the others mention on TB but never found it a real problem. I assumed it was normal.

A bit off topic but personally i found the pots to feel a bit cheap and moved a bit too easily, not smooth like my MB heads.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 1 month later...

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1315244040' post='1363218']Has anyone noticed scracthy a scratchy volume pot on the Streamliner? I saw on TB that this is quite common?[/quote]

Sorry to drag up an oldish thread, but yes I've noticed the scratchy master volume pot. Just wondered if anyone else has and what they did about it? I really love this head (STM900) and as its only an issue when changing the volume it doesn't seem that important, but if anyone's found a quick fix or that it gets worse with time it would be useful to know.
Andy.

I bet they are regretting putting cheaper pots on them now, I presume it was just a cost thing? In contrast the STL knobs are the best I have ever used, incremented and weighted pots with proper billet aluminium knobs. I don't really see why people say the STM is better built when it has cheap scratchy pots, plastic knobs and a plastic case where the STL is all metal, sure the Streamliner looks better but better built, no way.

The odd thing is the rest of the pots seem fine. I can't help but think this is a Fender influence as my Fender Mustang guitar amp does exactly the same thing on the master volume. But then that's a budget amp and the Streamliners are not! I'm guessing they're easily replaced, but this would presumably mean several weeks without an amp? Think I'll probably just live with it!

The Streamliner description:

"With its solid extruded aluminum panels, CNC machined solid billet aluminum faceplate and smooth-radius edges the STREAMLINER™ 900 chassis emanates the ruggedness and strength of a world-class touring machine. This brushed aluminum chassis is finished in an anodized Tungsten finish. "

The knobs have been fine for me. The input on the first one I had was dodgy (kettle lead input), but this second one is brilliant.

They are smooth, whereas the Shuttle amps are incremented as you mentioned.

Definitely not a lack of 'solid' build with the Streamliner. I owned a Shuttle 9.0 briefly and I felt due to the very low weight, it didnt feel as solid. The Streamliner is built more like the Markbass LM amps, IMO.

You are more likely to knock one of your pots which dave_bass found to be too light to turn without noticing until half way through a song than I am to be able to pull the Shuttle over when its in its cradle though, when its on the 2x12 I run my lead through the handle and down the side of the cab, I would have to do that with any class D as the slight difference in weight would not be enough if anyone yanked your input lead. The radiused corners make it look plasticky to me although I can see they are sturdy but the billet face plate is of little use when it has a massive blue plastic panel in the middle and the cheapo pots will be the first to take the impact anyway. They should put the metal Shuttle pots on them and recess the whole front panel for the best of both models next time IMO.

They dont offer it as a combo option so it can't go in a Genz cradle which is a shame yet I suppose gives it more of a pro market aiming it at seperate cab users only yet there appears to be no rack mount option unlike the STL? Surely a STM 1x15 or 2x10 combo would of been a killer compared to other brands?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1319357041' post='1412906']
Just wondered if anyone else has and what they did about it? I really love this head (STM900) and as its only an issue when changing the volume it doesn't seem that important, but if anyone's found a quick fix or that it gets worse with time it would be useful to know.
Andy.
[/quote]

I just popped the lid and squirted contact cleaner into the offending pots. Sorted.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1319387285' post='1413460']

I just popped the lid and squirted contact cleaner into the offending pots. Sorted.[/quote]

Thanks WB, I'll give that a go sometime!

BTW I've got the rack cradle they make for the Streamliner: it's ridiculously heavy and I can't see why they didn't just make rack ears, but it does the job!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1319408830' post='1413889']I've never seen a Streamliner rack mount, what does it even bolt on to?[/quote]

It doesn't! It's essentially a sheet metal tray that the STM attaches to by screws where the feet should be. Then at either side there's two rack 'ears'. All a bit bulky really, but I'm a sucker for a rack! Even though the valves give slight compression I still like having the dbx for effect at times, and of course the tuner. (Although if I'm perfectly honest it's probably just the shiny LEDs that I like!)

Edited by moonbass