Why become a member? ×

New Genz Streamliner 900 in the house!

wateroftyne

Preferred the Shuttle in the 1st demo with 12 o'clock settings on EF's video...just a touch more defined or articulate for me over the i-net
Personally can't find any use for the OD facility but whether you need twin bank of the Shuttle..?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1149865' date='Mar 4 2011, 08:06 PM']Wich cabs are you using? Bergs?[/quote]
Just a single HS210 for this gig.

Well that was a fun night...

That room is a proper nightmare, but the EQ on the Streamliner works really well.. rolling the low back really tidied up the bottom end, and pushing the mids gave a lovely focussed, punch.

The highs are sweet as hell, too - very, very natural and rich.

So far, so good... :-)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1149936' date='Mar 4 2011, 09:02 PM']Personally can't find any use for the OD facility[/quote]
Dunno if you're referring to the Shuttle, Streamliner or both there, but....

On the SL, when you ramp the tube gain there's a point just prior to OD at which the tone just fattens out into a warm glow. Useful for some scenarios, but not others...

[quote name='Raggy' post='1151094' date='Mar 6 2011, 01:47 AM']And???[/quote]
Well...

As this gig is really a J gig, and I've got a few P gigs coming up, I stuck with the J.

But I changed the strings from Chromes back to my old La Bellas, and it sounded EVEN BETTER.

:)

As promised, here's some YouTube nonsense. The usual 'non-scientific' caveats apply...

This is the first amp I've been genuinely excited about - giddy schoolgirl style - in donkey's years. It's hard to explain how real, punchy and rich it sounds, and I doubt it comes across in the clips. It's righteous.

Thanks for posting that mate, it sounds fantastic! I love the sound you're getting with the P-bass on the final part of the clip particularly. Also can't believe how much you had to back off the bass control! I'm definitely going to have to stop by Bass Direct next month to hear it for myself... :)

[quote name='Etienne' post='1152820' date='Mar 7 2011, 07:12 PM']Thanks for posting that mate, it sounds fantastic! I love the sound you're getting with the P-bass on the final part of the clip particularly. Also can't believe how much you had to back off the bass control! I'm definitely going to have to stop by Bass Direct next month to hear it for myself... :)[/quote]
Ha... well spotted, eagle-eye!

The bass was backed off on that part only because I'd boosted the heck out of 220Hz. In reality, you wouldn't use mad EQ like that at a gig (well, I wouldn't!), but it worked at low volume in my living room.

The important thing to emphasise that the bass is big and fat, but never overpowering....

There's loads of bottom end in there, but it's never too much. Someone (Ed Friedland?) mentioned it's impossible to get a bad tone with this amp. I'm tempted to say he's right.

As for comparisons to the RH450 - I liked that amp. But, along with most amps I've owned over the years (Mesa, Warwick, Acoustic Image, etc.) they've all been different flavours of 'Yeah.. I like that'. And not much more.

This is the first time in living memory where I've done the gig and the amp has made me grin like an idiot. Actually, I lie - the last time was when I used a big Sound City head for a few gigs years and years ago. Nice and clear, but lively, rich and '3D'.

I like the balance of sounds in all these video demos so I wouldn't expect a fight with the bass getting a nice sound.

I am currently chasing down a a markbass type amp for a backup/something different and if the scares about failures with this line is
not an issue, I could want to seek this amp/marque out and add to the list.