Why become a member? ×

I want a new toy

woodyratm

Hey folks,
I'm wanting something insane for my pedal board.

I've already got fuzz, synth, octave etc.
I've tried whammy, slicer, ex7 etc. but want something even more mental sounding. I just have no idea what!

Any suggestions at all? My guitarist/synth player has suggested the Moog MF105b? Has anyone got any decent clips of this? With bass..

I play very synth based rocky kinda stuff... er theres some songs up here that might help... www.facebook.com/foxdieuk
And we're just a 3 piece if that helps at all.

Cheers for ANY suggestions! :)

Thats kinda cool. Seems to work really well with the Low Pass filter.

What kinda power supply do these take? How extreme can it go? by extreme i mean like totally obvious that an effect is on.very different sound kinda vibe.

Cheers

PS that last song thats all bass and drums is really pretty ace!

Moog pedals are 9 - 12 volt tip +. I run the mf-105b, a boss CE-2 & a cheapo distortion all of a Godlyke powerall (which is 1.7 Amp & I'm using a polarity reverser for the moog) & have a separate 9v for the mf-101 as it doesn't like sharing a psu & gets all buzzy! The Murf doesn't mind sharing as long as it's getting at least 300 mA.

The effect can go from a subtle swirly effect, to staccato beatbox, to reverse sweeping patterns (like playing a recording of your bass backwards).
It also has some great uses without using the animation settings & I often use it with no animation & use the filters to get just certain frequencies & turn the drive up & the out down to get a very organic overdrive sound (which is what I did for that last song on the distorted parts, in conjunction with the LPF). Sometimes I have it so there's barely any OD there & it's a very subtle sounding effect until you bypass it & then you realise how much an effect it was having.

I've also got a short TRS cable I made up to take advantage of the CV & sometimes have it going from the Env out on the LPF & into the Rate or LFO/Sweep CV in on the Murf. This makes a note have a fast tempo or wobble & slows down as the note decays. Good for the subby DnB wobbles.

The only downside I have sometimes is getting the drummer to play in time & I have the tap tempo to try & get in time with the drummer (there's many jokes there), but if your drummer plays to a metronome then you can send a CV click to the Murf & it'll play in time with it.

I'll try & get some spare time to record some messing about with just the Murf & go thru loads of things, but it may be next week before I get a chance as I have a very busy week at present.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1145351' date='Mar 1 2011, 07:54 AM']How about a Ring Modulator? Mental as a polydactyl cat!

[/quote]
Dan, why did you have to go & post that video?

Just when I thought I'd decided the final 3 pedals for my board, I now want a ring mod as well!!!! :)

Must............................Resist!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1145398' date='Mar 1 2011, 09:03 AM']Dan, why did you have to go & post that video?

Just when I thought I'd decided the final 3 pedals for my board, I now want a ring mod as well!!!! :)

Must............................Resist![/quote]

I just can't find a use for my ring mods. I think the Moog and a CP201 might add the level of functionality that a static ring mod lacks. I love 'Music is Rotted One Note' and as such I've been trying to find a good ring mod sound.

It would need to be a ring mod with a level of CV control & something like the MP-201 or a couple of exp pedals.
I'd just been looking at vids for the CP-251 module & wondering if it's something that I could use. I really need to find a good shop with a selection of moogs & similar.
I just have a love for making weird sounds & used to make some weird & wonderful sounds with some old analogue Korgs & Jems back in the 80s & 90s. Not sure if the audience always like them tho. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1145458' date='Mar 1 2011, 10:09 AM']Korgs & Jems back in the 80s & 90s.[/quote]

I used to play with a Sci-Fi/Surf band and our synth collection used to make me cry. I brought the Microkorg but they all had Wasps, MS10s & 20s, Jens and a selection of theremins. Oh man I miss that band!

Hexe has some crazy bonkers stuff going on -

[url="http://www.hexeguitar.com/main"]http://www.hexeguitar.com/main[/url]

From Bitcrushing to the most crazy lo fi glitch looper I've seen

You gotta love some Music is Rotted One Note.
Classic Album indeed, I saw a lot of it performed live with a 10 piece band in a dilapidated warehouse in Manchester.

3 drummers if you count Tom's occasional foray's behind the kit.
There was a bloke "scratching" a reel to reel machine thru a talk box, and a nutter triggering samples by using metal wire that was attached to a huge harness he was wearing which went up into the roof of the building.

Some if worked, some of it was just a little bit too up its own arse in an arty way.
Certainly a gig to remember though.

Edited by Wud

I managed to make some time this afternoon to make a couple of videos. So here's one just of the Bass MuRF.
It is a unique pedal & some folk will find it about as useful as herpies, others will find loads of uses for it.

If you're interested, I'm popping a video in the DnB/Dubstep thread with it used along with some other pedals.