Why become a member? ×

5 String Bass

Strife34

[quote name='Strife34' post='1143589' date='Feb 27 2011, 05:39 PM']I'm looking at advancing from 4 string to 5 string and wondering what was a good bass to get around £300 - £450[/quote]

I was really impressed by a used Cort A5 when I tried it. Nearly bought it. It's at Electro Music Doncaster. They have fairly close string spacing but I found it good for fingerstyle.

Ibanez Soundgear 5 strings have a lovely slim neck very easy to play. Make sure you get one of the "made in Japan" ones as they are much better quality than the Korean / Indonesian ones. You could get a good second hand bargain on Ebay for around £200-£300 (cost new £500-600)

[quote name='Algae' post='1144220' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:20 AM']Ibanez Soundgear 5 strings have a lovely slim neck very easy to play. Make sure you get one of the "made in Japan" ones as they are much better quality than the Korean / Indonesian ones. You could get a good second hand bargain on Ebay for around £200-£300 (cost new £500-600)[/quote]

SR505 is fantastic value, I love mine and saw that it one 5 string of the year in a US bass mag recently

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='1144667' date='Feb 28 2011, 05:16 PM']the spector legends are awesome - and around that money second hand!

in fact i have the 5 string custom in blue that will be coming up for sale soon - pm me if interested![/quote]

Totally agree, I used to have one and it was superb!

If you prefer a tighter string spacing these are a great choice.

Martin

[quote name='Strife34' post='1143589' date='Feb 27 2011, 05:39 PM']I'm looking at advancing from 4 string to 5 string and wondering what was a good bass to get around £300 - £450[/quote]
What 4-string are you playing now? It can be a good starting point to take a look at the 5-string version of whatever you're playing currently (if there [i]is[/i] a 5-string version).

And IMHO it doesn't help to think of it as "advancing". 5 isn't [i]better[/i] than 4, nor is it [i]harder[/i]. It's just slightly different. Emphasis on [b]slightly[/b]. Don't throw psychological roadblocks up in front of yourself (however subconscious they might be). :)

[quote name='Defo' post='1146378' date='Mar 1 2011, 08:36 PM']SR505 is fantastic value, I love mine and saw that it one 5 string of the year in a US bass mag recently[/quote]
And me! Made in Indonesia, but can't fault the quality.

They are quite trebly so I tend to end up with the treble backed off, but I will be trying it out with ground wounds when I get 'round' to it.

I really like my Cort Curbow 5 - and it only cost £322 from Thomann last year!

A bit limited in tones due to the single pick-up, but it is a Bartolini and the active tone controls allow for plenty of shaping.

The body shape may not be to everyone's taste, but it balances very well, is light, and plays well.

Might be worth keeping an eye out for a used Yamaha TRB1005 - you might just about find one for the right price. Personally, I think nothing comes close at that sort of price.

You need to try 34" and 35" scale lengths to see what suits you best. I can never get on with 34" scale on a 5 string because the low B is just too sloppy. If you decide you want to go 35", on your budget it will narrow the search considerably.

Could also consider Ibanez BTB or Peavey Cirrus (both 35")

i highly recommend the Fender Mex fiver!
Dont know why they dont seem that popular, well not as much as the 4 strings, but when I compared it to my USA Fender five it was more than comparable.
Classic jazz bass sound and no compromise on the string spacing. Great hardware and an all round brilliant bass which can be picked up for about £300 to £350.
They're about £700 new so that's a great bargain, and I reckon when punters realise this in a few years time they're are going to be worth a lot more!

don't forget - you heard it here first!!

good luck!

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='1149508' date='Mar 4 2011, 02:46 PM']Yamaha BB415.
Really liked it. Good B, good sound, cheap.

Ibanez SR505.
Classic in the range. Tasted a 505 but found a second hand Ibanez K5, same ergonomics. String spacing is tight. Excellent bass.

Haven't tried much else. Quest ended with the K5.[/quote]

Actually, being picky about it the K5 has a smaller body :)

Haha!

I say Ibanez or Yamaha! Can't go wrong with either really!