Why become a member? ×

2x12 vs 4x10?

ashevans09

Hey there,

I'm looking to play around with my rig at the mo, and I've more or less decided that I'd like a 4x10 coupled with either another 4x10 or a 2x12.

Unfortunately, no store near me stocks 2x12's, so how do they compare with 4x10's? Also, would a better combo be the 4x10 + 2x12 or just 2 4x10s?

Thanks,

Ash

I think two 410's would be better than a 410 and a 212, The wattage will be shared equally among all speakers or something like that (i think this is quite a naive explanation, but its along the lines of!)

However, two 212's would be even better! They do sound different to 410s, and i really think you need to try and find somewhere you can have a dabble.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='130982' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:46 PM']Hey there,

I'm looking to play around with my rig at the mo, and I've more or less decided that I'd like a 4x10 coupled with either another 4x10 or a 2x12.

Unfortunately, no store near me stocks 2x12's, so how do they compare with 4x10's? Also, would a better combo be the 4x10 + 2x12 or just 2 4x10s?

Thanks,

Ash[/quote]
Hi Ash

You might find some of the technical stuff in this thread I posted last year helpful, as it had lots of really interesting and knowledgeable posts by people such as BFM and alexclaber, who really know their stuff!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2411&hl=210s"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2411&hl=210s[/url]

Nik

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='132462' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:57 AM']As is said in the thread Nik posted, wou are better having all 10's or all 12's. I would be tempted to pop up the road and have a listen to what Mark at BassDirect has to offer.[/quote]
Absolutely. Mixing different drivers gives unpredictable results. I advise against a 4x10, it has no sonic advantages and more than a few disadvantages. Two 2x10 or 2x12 vertically aligned will give a much better result and make for an easier haul as well.