Why become a member? ×

What Amp Combo for pubs/small venues etc??

Linus27

I am getting back into playing and may end up joining a band which I guess may lead to gigs at some point.

What sort of size amp combo would be suitable for pubs and small clubs? I have been looking at the Ashdown MAG-C115-300 Pre Amp Combo but its 300W so is this a bit overkill?? They also do the
Ashdown EB 15-180 Combo but thats only 180W so will that be underpowered? The prices are good at around £200 to £250 and I may even be able to get discount through a friend.

Its just what sort or power rating do I want. Also, no idea if Ashdown are any good.

Any advice really appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Linus27

Ashdown have a fair rep but I would plump for an Eden Metro - 300W at £1500 tho' so maybe not?

I recently got a (another!!) post from Jeff Berlin off MySpace and he made a very valid point. Get the best you can and f*** the money cos it will pay for itself time and time and time again and the pounds per gig cost for a great amp will be negligible. I guess some of us live in a different world but I would advocate a top notch professional amp if you can afford it. I have lived to this maxim for 10 years now and have great gear and no regrets. I think GAS is usually created by people who want great gear but repeatedly settle for just good gear. I know it was like that for me. But since I decided 'nothing but the best for me', I have never wanted anything more than the gear I have.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='130696' date='Jan 30 2008, 02:31 PM']Ashdown have a fair rep but I would plump for an Eden Metro - 300W at £1500 tho' so maybe not?

I recently got a (another!!) post from Jeff Berlin off MySpace and he made a very valid point. Get the best you can and f*** the money cos it will pay for itself time and time and time again and the pounds per gig cost for a great amp will be negligible. I guess some of us live in a different world but I would advocate a top notch professional amp if you can afford it. I have lived to this maxim for 10 years now and have great gear and no regrets. I think GAS is usually created by people who want great gear but repeatedly settle for just good gear. I know it was like that for me. But since I decided 'nothing but the best for me', I have never wanted anything more than the gear I have.[/quote]

+1 to all the above... as they say, you still appreciate the quality long after you've forgotten the price. I regret buying my Behringer V-Amp, but absolutely no regrets about the Pod, three times the price but it's what I should have bought in the first place.

regarding 300W being overkill: you don't have to turn it up to 11 every night!

I have an ashdown ABM combo and, although the amp definately has enough power to cover most gigs, the internal speaker is utter pants. 1 10" speaker is never really going to set the world vibrating though!

The way I think of it is that it's always better having enough power and not needing it than needing it and not having enough.

If it's any help there was a 500 watt ABM 1x15 combo for sale in the classifieds for £250... If I lived on the mainland I'd have it in a flash!

+1 about buying what you really want 1st time round (where finances allow), it's cheaper in the long run.

Power wise, 300w won't be too much for pubs. If I remember right it takes 10x the watts to get a doubling of actual volume (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) What more watts really give you is extra headroom so you're less likely to overload the amp if you have to push it harder. Liken it to a small engined car, fully loaded, going uphill - you have to thrash the engine whereas a more powerful engine takes the extra strain in it's stride.

You also can't always guarantee that you'll have adequate monitoring so it's handy to have an amp that you can push harder just to hear yourself on stage without it groaning under the strain. Depends on your bands musical style and usual volume too of course.

To be honest, I would look at 300w for pub gigs. Anything smaller could struggle without going through the PA.

I used an Ashdown MAG 300 combo until recently, and found it to be a good, solid gigging amp.

I've just upgraded to a Mark Bass combo, and would highly recommend them if you can run to the extra cost. Fantastic sound, loud, and a fraction of the weight of the Ashdown. Worth every penny.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='Linus27' post='130680' date='Jan 30 2008, 02:18 PM']I am getting back into playing and may end up joining a band which I guess may lead to gigs at some point.

What sort of size amp combo would be suitable for pubs and small clubs? I have been looking at the Ashdown MAG-C115-300 Pre Amp Combo but its 300W so is this a bit overkill?? They also do the
Ashdown EB 15-180 Combo but thats only 180W so will that be underpowered? The prices are good at around £200 to £250 and I may even be able to get discount through a friend.

Its just what sort or power rating do I want. Also, no idea if Ashdown are any good.

Any advice really appreciated. Thanks[/quote]
Linus,

I've got the MAG-C115-300 combo. Without an extension cab, i.e. when running into its integral 8 ohm speaker, it knocks out 180W but compared with some other similar combos I've tried seems reasonably loud - some combos are more efficient than others giving more volume per watt - so there's not always any point in worrying about 50W here and there. The MAG 300 holds its own against our drummer no problem and is ample for pub gigs. I've been using a 150W Warwick combo whilst mine's being mended and that seems to have far less in reserve volume-wise.

However, though I'm fairly happy with the sound I now wonder if I would have had more peace of mind if I'd bought something more upmarket for reliability reasons if nothing else. Mine's been in for repair for two weeks now having blown its mains transformer without ever being pushed. Maybe I've been unlucky (though this forum may imply otherwise) but I'd certainly agree that you won't go wrong by getting the best you can afford.

I'm now looking into getting a separate head (hopefully a cheaper MarkBass or maybe a Hartke) with a home-built Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10 (2 x 10") which I hope will sound better, be louder and be reliable!

For the money I'd certainly give the MAG-300 a try but I've also heard good things about the Fender Rumble range amongst others. Other people here can give you a vast range of recommendations and sage advice on anyting else!

I reckon the Ashdown MAG-C115-300 would be a good bet. i used the 2x10 version up until recently in pub & club gigs and never really had a problem with power/volume, but certainly wouldn't want any less than that as it was pushing to distortion on the odd occasion.

Ashdown MAG range is really good value i think, served me well, main gripe was the placing of handles was awful!

Another vote for the Ashdown MAG 300 C-115.
I went from a EB 180 C-115 to the MAG and although it didn't sound a great deal louder it was loud enough to get me through 50+ gigs without PA support.
Im not suggesting its a room filler but for our wedding and functions it was just enough most of the time to get across the dance floors.
I think part of the loudness comes from the way its voiced. I used a ABM 300EVOII head in to the speaker for a while as the amp part was distorting too easily all of a sudden (and i never could get it fixed) and i found the ABM to be quieter even though they are both just over 300watts.

As others have said, on its own its only putting out around 200watts so it depends on how big the rooms are etc. I ended up using mine with a Aphex BassXciter pedal to give me more presence and that worked really well.

Edited by dave_bass5

You may find a few on here that have not been impressed with MAG reliability and recon the ABM is much better (but also dearer). There are 3 combo's that are head and shoulders above almost all of the competition.

SWR Redhead
Eden Metro
EBS NeoGorm

There are also f***ing expensive mind but you wont find yourself wanting more after 6 months.

If you are starting out again you must know that overtime you are embarking on an upgrade path. I would not go for a combo. Get seperates because they can start off cheaper and are easier to upgrade. You need at least 300watts. I would go for 500watts if you can afford it. There are several knobs that allow you to turn down for small gigs and rehearsals but it will cover large gigs as well. A 1x15 and a 2x10 is a good point to start with as the cabs can be used together or seperate.

[quote name='Linus27' post='130680' date='Jan 30 2008, 02:18 PM']I am getting back into playing and may end up joining a band which I guess may lead to gigs at some point.

Any advice really appreciated. Thanks[/quote]

hi there i have used the roland db500 combo for a few years and have found it to be perfect for small to medium gigs. its rated at 160 watt but the sound is much much bigger than that. you can check out the spec anywhere and you WILL NOT find a bad review. i also have one for sale if you are still looking. dont just take my word for it. check it out. :)

Thanks Birdy but a bit out of my price range. Good luck selling it though.

Does anyone know what the Hartke VX115 speaker is like? Its a paper cone, can handle 300W at 8 ohms and is only £165. My other option is the Hartke 115 XL but this is only 200W at 8 ohms.

Would Hartke be a better option that Ashdown?

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='133520' date='Feb 4 2008, 12:02 PM']Thanks Birdy but a bit out of my price range. Good luck selling it though.

Does anyone know what the Hartke VX115 speaker is like? Its a paper cone, can handle 300W at 8 ohms and is only £165. My other option is the Hartke 115 XL but this is only 200W at 8 ohms.

Would Hartke be a better option that Ashdown?[/quote]

Ive own both Ashdown and Hartke and in all fairness there both quality amps... The Hartke (IMO) is abit of a dirtyer sound and has a alot of variation in the sound you can get out of it. However the ashdown is a bit more of a low, 'woolier' sound and has a nice motown kinda sound, Its a great sound and suited the rock band i played fine but as i said i wanted a bit of a grittier trebley sound( however i do still like some punch!!!) Plus i wanted separtes!

Other people may think different and TBH its better if you go and try both amps and see what you think!

As for the cab ive never played it. But ive got a 4.5XL and the XL cabs are awsome!!!!

Alex

[quote name='Linus27' post='133520' date='Feb 4 2008, 12:02 PM']Thanks Birdy but a bit out of my price range. Good luck selling it though.

Would Hartke be a better option that Ashdown?[/quote]
IMO go for the Hartke every time!

Good sound, very loud (and therefore plenty of headroom) and a decent easy-to-use compressor – I used to gig one for years with no major problems and still take out one as a spare

I would also get a cab with as many 10” speakers as you can afford / carry (it’s no coincidence that most top pros use 10s live)

I would also say that 300w is the minimum power that you should go for – remember that when you are playing in pubs you will not always be going thru a big PA as you would be at a bigger venue, so you need an amp powerful enough to cut thru a band and be heard at the back of a room

And of course, when you do get to play on a big stage you will already have enough volume to cope

As far as being able to afford it – that’s what eBay is for…!

• 3 weeks later...

You will find lots of trace elliot 300W combos on ebay- reliable- good tone- bit heavy - powerful- £250 will get you sorted. If you want something better in ayear- this amp will do as a back up or you can sell it for what you paid for it- Iv just sold one on ebay- someone got a bargain at £210.

I would agree that the best thing you can do is buy sepearates- valve head and speaker (s)

I have a marshall vba set up- you can get sorted for £1200- but very heavy and big. Tone to die for!!

Horses for courses as usual and very opinion led.

Cheers

Biob

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='130782' date='Jan 30 2008, 04:41 PM']If I remember right it takes 10x the watts to get a doubling of actual volume (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) What more watts really give you is extra headroom so you're less likely to overload the amp if you have to push it harder.[/quote]

IIRC it's not about the watts.... more about spl's. An crease of 3db is effectively double the volume and would require roughly double the wattage of your amp to achieve this if cranked.
I'll try to put this another way...
If your 300 watt amp is cranked and measuring 130db at 1 metre, to double the volume you would need a six hundred watt amp (and the speakers to match) to achieve 133db at 1 metre. :)
I think thats correct.... correct ME if I'm wrong!!

As for amp choice... good advice about going for the most expensive you can afford to your ears. My choice would be Markbass, obviously.