Why become a member? ×

Treble pot not working

Marvin

Found last night that the treble on my bass -Ibanez SR300- isn't working at all.

I don't know if it's a wiring issue or just the pot. For anyone who isn't familiar with this bass, the treble control sits on top the bass ie concentric or stacked.

Anyone know of a good guitar repairer in North Devon/Devon?

or

Are there any alternatives? By that I mean maybe replacing the Ibanez pots and eq electronics with a different brand (and maybe the pups)

Edited by Marvin

If it's the one with the rebranded Bartolini's in it, you're going to have trouble trying to find something to drop directly into the pickup cavity.
Best off repairing what's already there IMO.

From memory (so probably wrong!) the SR300 is an active bass - have you tried changing the battery as a starting off point?

Yes, the SR300 is an active bass.

The battery is fine, unfortunately. Bombed it with Servisol to no avail.

Looks like a trip to a repairer, if it needs parts hopefully Ibanez will be quicker than the 6 weeks it took to send a battery compartment last year.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1138117' date='Feb 23 2011, 07:55 AM']Yes, the SR300 is an active bass.

The battery is fine, unfortunately. Bombed it with Servisol to no avail.

Looks like a trip to a repairer, if it needs parts hopefully Ibanez will be quicker than the 6 weeks it took to send a battery compartment last year.[/quote]

Before you take it in, it's not something daft like the knob grubscrew has come loose and you're turning the knob but not the pot shaft..?

[quote name='icastle' post='1138120' date='Feb 23 2011, 08:04 AM']Before you take it in, it's not something daft like the knob grubscrew has come loose and you're turning the knob but not the pot shaft..?[/quote]
Unfortunately not, I removed the grub screw and knob last night just to make sure and it wasn't that. Took the back plate off as well to peer inside to make sure there weren't any obvious loose wires. Didn't seem to be, but it's a mass of coloured wires in there so it's difficult to tell.

Electronics aren't my thing at all :)

Marv, try Big Stu in Bideford, up in Grenville St, can't remember what he's calling his shop these days, might be Bideford Bay Guitars, might be Atlantic, either way he's a top bloke, known him ages, he should be able to fix it fairly quick, he might have a generic part lying about to sort it with as well.
I've never done active electronics otherwise I'd say come over to mine and we'll have a cup of tea and play with a soldering iron. Get something passive next time :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1138214' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:41 AM']Marv, try Big Stu in Bideford, up in Grenville St, can't remember what he's calling his shop these days, might be Bideford Bay Guitars, might be Atlantic, either way he's a top bloke, known him ages, he should be able to fix it fairly quick, he might have a generic part lying about to sort it with as well.
I've never done active electronics otherwise I'd say come over to mine and we'll have a cup of tea and play with a soldering iron. Get something passive next time :)[/quote]

Cheers Dave.

Yes, it might be time to trade in for a passive. Something Fender shaped and easy to repair.

Just rang Stu at Bideford (he's now Bideford Bay Guitars).

Remember I've been to his shop before and he is an absolute top bloke - my stupid forgetfulness.

When I take it down he'll try and diagnose what's wrong with it with me there, for free, then give me an idea of cost and time. I'm feeling a lot happier.

Thanks guys