Why become a member? ×

Talk me into / out of a TC G-Major 2

Mister_E

I am conflicted, confused, possibly deranged.

From a single photo I've seen of Dood's rig - an LH1000 coupled with a TC electronic G-Major 2 I now have a hankering to expand my palette of sounds and aural landscapes by getting one of these units.
Playing in a three piece sort of prog rock style outfit; so there is scope and space for some whacky noises (tastefuly done obviously).

I've asked Dood who liked his I think - I cheekily asked him to do a review but he's a busy talented chap so I thought I'd ask the wider community...

Q - Has anyone any experience with the G-Major 2?? especially with bass?
Q - How about with any midi controlled effects like this - I'd like to know if there is any noticable delay between switching patches?
Q - Should I just stick with my two pedal setup - bass-multi-chorus and DD-3 delay?

I may have to re-mortgage to afford this terrible GAS attack.

bugger.

Edited by tinyviking

Hi,

I use the original TC Electronic G Major and it is great! Hooked up to a Behringer midi board you can do all kinds of tricks without delay between changes.

I have set pedal 10 as my tuner as it puts the rig in mute mode and the TC has a built in tuner. You also have 2 x Expression pedals for setting to whatever you like ie - Pedal 1 (Amount of delay), Pedal 2 (Amount of Octave) etc etc.

It's not the G Major 2 but if it's anything to go by the new one will blow you away.. Dood Swears by them and has helped me with a few questions on this unit.

Justin.

I've never used the G-Major but I would give a resounding [b]NO[/b] in reply to the below question:

[quote name='tinyviking' post='1136552' date='Feb 21 2011, 11:44 PM']Q - Should I just stick with my two pedal setup - bass-multi-chorus and DD-3 delay?[/quote]

I just like effects, is all.

Dan

It seems the verdict is to go for it. I suspect I asked a biased jury!! :)
OK, in that case any thoughts on the best foor controller(s) to go with the G-Major 2 ?
I like the look of the tech21 midi-mouse mainly as you can power it via the MIDI cable.
the fewer batteries and power cables the better I think.

[quote name='tinyviking' post='1136552' date='Feb 21 2011, 11:44 PM']I am conflicted, confused, possibly deranged.

From a single photo I've seen of Dood's rig - an LH1000 coupled with a TC electronic G-Major 2 I now have a hankering to expand my palette of sounds and aural landscapes by getting one of these units.
Playing in a three piece sort of prog rock style outfit; so there is scope and space for some whacky noises (tastefuly done obviously).

I've asked Dood who liked his I think - I cheekily asked him to do a review but he's a busy talented chap so I thought I'd ask the wider community...

Q - Has anyone any experience with the G-Major 2?? especially with bass?
Q - How about with any midi controlled effects like this - I'd like to know if there is any noticable delay between switching patches?
Q - Should I just stick with my two pedal setup - bass-multi-chorus and DD-3 delay?

I may have to re-mortgage to afford this terrible GAS attack.

bugger.[/quote]

Ahhh, sorry fella! I'll try to answer as many questions as I can on this thread and if I get a moment, I'd love to do an HQ video of the GM2 in action. To start with though:

in answer to your second question - no, you can set the GM2 up for seemless patch changes, which also means that the delays / reverbs and other time based effects spill over to the next patch change, thus sounding smooth and natural.

Pedal boards - pretty much any board can be configured with the GM2 as it can 'learn' the pedal board output - OR you have the option of programming the board to the CC/Midi implementation of the GM2. Either will work, but I prefer to leave the pedal board as default and configure the GM2. I personally use the Roland FC200, which is brilliant - it has now been superseded by the FC300. I've also used the rather 80's looking Art Ultrafoot. Again, a brilliant board. I think most people go for the Behringer FCB - It's actually really well made and I know of at least two units that survived a 'tech metal' band European tour and probably still work to this day!

Racking up the GM2 is quite happy in a shallow Gator case. I think I might need to get a 4u over my current 3u as I have more items to go in now! DOH!

Ahhh what else can I tell you? Well - I think the external channel switch relays on the unit is great - It can be programmed to channel switch your amp or non MIDI effects as part of a patch change, which is very cool!

Mine is sat here twinkling away at me right now - which has reminded me, you can download software to edit patches/back up on your PC and upload them straight to the unit - though to be honest, the TC is really simple to edit so I haven't reinstalled the software since my last PC rebuild!

Hey, thanks Dood.

Wasn't sure about the berhinger unit tbh. would need a 15 metre mains lead!
Otherwise I think my mind is made up - just need to save the pennies for a while.

Mind you - had the smell of burning voice coils outta one of ma speakers last practice - hopefully I haven't completely fried it- will need to tone down the volume I think.

Anyway - thanks to all for the advice :-)

Edited by tinyviking

[quote name='tinyviking' post='1145197' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:56 PM']Hey, thanks Dood.

Wasn't sure about the berhinger unit tbh. would need a 15 metre mains lead!
Otherwise I think my mind is made up - just need to save the pennies for a while.

Mind you - had the smell of burning voice coils outta one of ma speakers last practice - hopefully I haven't completely fried it- will need to tone down the volume I think.

Anyway - thanks to all for the advice :-)[/quote]

No problem! There's actually a guy advertising an FCB on my FaceBook for £60 at the moment if it helps the finances a bit..

[quote name='tinyviking' post='1145197' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:56 PM']Wasn't sure about the berhinger unit tbh. would need a 15 metre mains lead![/quote]

If you're concerned about running a long power cable, the FCB only sends midi down 3 of the 5 pins so you can use two to send power down; this way you don't use a separate mains lead. It's referred to as the 'Phantom Power Mod' and you can buy kits [url="http://www.dmvelectronics.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1&idcategory=3"]HERE [/url] or find instructions on how to do it yourself.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1145517' date='Mar 1 2011, 10:56 AM']If you're concerned about running a long power cable, the FCB only sends midi down 3 of the 5 pins so you can use two to send power down; this way you don't use a separate mains lead. It's referred to as the 'Phantom Power Mod' and you can buy kits [url="http://www.dmvelectronics.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1&idcategory=3"]HERE [/url] or find instructions on how to do it yourself.[/quote]

Hey - Cool. I like that - just so happens I did PCB work in a former life so this looks pretty easy to do - lucky the FCB is comparitively cheap!
Thanks guys, this definitely looks like the way to go for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, should look very shiny with the Hartke rig!
worried now as I looked around for reviews and found [url="http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=2299"]this post [/url] on the TC forum...
So it doesn't like low B strings? I find that hard to fathom. Surely it must be fine - they don't make a seperate BASS version.

Also now I'm finding bad reviews about Thomann - but they were cheaper!!
Anyway, if Dood says it's OK then it must be OK.

Oh, ordered up the phantom power mod for the FCB1010 from the U S of A - hope to hear about that soon.
Just have to remain calm until it all arrives.

[quote name='tinyviking' post='1180568' date='Mar 29 2011, 11:05 AM']Oh, ordered up the phantom power mod for the FCB1010 from the U S of A - hope to hear about that soon.
Just have to remain calm until it all arrives.[/quote]

I used to use my FCB with a Novation Supernova for some amazing sounds (parallel midi synth routing is awesome!) but recently it's been as MIDI bass-pedals. It's a very versatile bit of kit and I heartily recommend it. The construction is of a high standard and with the Ossandust firmware upgrade it's implementation is greatly expanded, as is its reliability.

Dan

[quote name='tinyviking' post='1180568' date='Mar 29 2011, 11:05 AM']Yeah, should look very shiny with the Hartke rig!
worried now as I looked around for reviews and found [url="http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=2299"]this post [/url] on the TC forum...
So it doesn't like low B strings? I find that hard to fathom. Surely it must be fine - they don't make a seperate BASS version.[/quote]

Hey fella! Hmm 'interesting' linked post! - Can't help thinking they're being a bit like a bunch of moany old women though!

Well - I honestly I have to say that I've never noticed! So I guess it can't be all bad eh? - It doesn't like the F# on my 7 string though. Thing is, if a tuner takes any more than a few seconds to find the note, then I just play the harmonic at the 12th fret of said string instead - an octave up and a far cleaner note for the tuner to pick up. Maybe I do that automatically? but hey - I didn't buy the GM2 for it's tuner - I bought it because the processor and D/A's eat the competition alive. ;o)

I used to have a naff ole tuner years ago - and I found that playing the *next* octave up harmonic (the one you find on the 5th fret) instead and it tracked absolutely fine.

[quote]Anyway, if Dood says it's OK then it must be OK.[/quote]

Awww! I'm touched! That really means a lot and I appreciate it loads!

[EDIT] - I'm such a dummy! - I forgot that the GM2 has 4 modes of tuner! - two of them, one 'fine' tune and the other 'coarse' tune are both for Bass.

They.. have... ARRIVED!!

I've spent the last few hours playing with the new toys... WOW!
Guess I got lucky with the FCB setup - didn't do much to get the patch select and expression pedal working!.
Can't remember how I did it now.
I know people say the factory presets are not very useful but what a collection of sounds.
I really like the whammy + reverse - it has been described to me as " like whales and aliens" :-) hee hee!

Now I need to sit down with the thing and try setting up my own sounds I guess - see if I can replicate the chorus and delay settings I had before.

I may feel moved to write some kind of review or something once I've had more time with it.

EXCITED, CAN'T SLEEP!!!