Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratts Disco Basslines

Hobbayne

I too liked his book and to be honest he seems like a really nice chap. We have all done our bit for the brewery when we were younger. The guy definitely can play. I am not too sure why people on forums have negative opinions about people they have not met, as someone else has said- is it because they have done well and dont just play bass ( however well ) in their bedrooms?

Lots of bedroom snobs on here!! Bit of support for our successes please ( and co- Basschatters! )The guy has made time to post on this very forum!!

Bob

[quote name='RhysP' post='1135549' date='Feb 21 2011, 02:41 PM']I was incredibly disappointed by his book; to me all it basically consisted of was a roll call of his famous mates and lots of boring & clichéd tales of how many times he's got really pissed with them. I found nothing in there to suggest it had been written by a wonderful wit & raconteur, which is how he seems to be regarded.

His stint on Planet Rock was pretty much the same too; he only seemed to play stuff by his muso chums or things that he had played on himself. It came across as one big ego trip to me.[/quote]

Have to agree with RhysP about his book, for me just a roll call of famous names who he got pissed and or stoned with. If I had to read another Robert Palmer anecdote........
JMO

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='1135758' date='Feb 21 2011, 04:52 PM']I too liked his book and to be honest he seems like a really nice chap. We have all done our bit for the brewery when we were younger. The guy definitely can play. I am not too sure why people on forums have negative opinions about people they have not met, as someone else has said- is it because they have done well and dont just play bass ( however well ) in their bedrooms?

Lots of bedroom snobs on here!! Bit of support for our successes please ( and co- Basschatters! )The guy has made time to post on this very forum!!

Bob[/quote]

I'm hardly a Bedroom Snob... Bob...... and I have met him.... hence my cock reference.... but as Martin (MB1) told me.... he was a nice chap when he met him

[quote name='crez5150' post='1135350' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:38 PM']What a cock! I really can't stand the guy. I really don't rate him as a bassist either....[/quote]

Ah well, that will be another profesional bass player who is a member of basschat who will not bother us again.

Really, is there any need for this level of abuse?

Jez

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1135769' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:00 PM']Have to agree with RhysP about his book, for me just a roll call of famous names who he got pissed and or stoned with. If I had to read another Robert Palmer anecdote........
JMO[/quote]

I guess we jumped at it 'cos it had 'Bass' in the title and a lovely Jazz on the cover, but it wasn't written for bassists or musicians, but for 80s/90s music fans.

C

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1135802' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:13 PM']Ah well, that will be another profesional bass player who is a member of basschat who will not bother us again.

Jez[/quote]

Ah cmon.... I'm sure he's not that sensitive.... I've seen Basschat members calling each other worse here...

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1135802' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:13 PM']Ah well, that will be another profesional bass player who is a member of basschat who will not bother us again.

Jez[/quote]

I wish I hadnt started this thread now :)

[quote name='ezbass' post='1135682' date='Feb 21 2011, 04:08 PM']GP channeling Pino quite nicely there.

And here he doing the same from about 4:15 onwards

[/quote]

Oh dear - these producers will make you do anything for money & fame. :)
Went to one of his stand up shows last year, and thought he was very funny.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='crez5150' post='1135772' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:01 PM']I'm hardly a Bedroom Snob... Bob...... and I have met him.... hence my cock reference.... but as Martin (MB1) told me.... he was a nice chap when he met him[/quote]

first time i met Janek Gwizdala i thought he was arrogant. Met him a year later and realised it was me just not really understanding him or the full extent to the industry he is in. From what iv heard of Guy i don't think anyone on here has a right to say he's not that good.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1135962' date='Feb 21 2011, 06:42 PM']first time i met Janek Gwizdala i thought he was arrogant. Met him a year later and realised it was me just not really understanding him or the full extent to the industry he is in. From what iv heard of Guy i don't think anyone on here has a right to say he's not that good.[/quote]

I didn't say he wasn't good, I said I didn't rate him as a bassist that's my opinion.... just a cock.... which was a reference from when I met him....

[quote name='crez5150' post='1135350' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:38 PM']What a cock! I really can't stand the guy. I really don't rate him as a bassist either....[/quote]

I don't understand, he comes across as quite likeable in my opinion. It's great to see a good bassist (even if I didn't particularly like the sound of that bass on the video) having fun with the instrument.

I didn't know about him at the time, and I didn't remember this. But my brother told me something last xmas, when I told him I was reading Guy Pratt's book. He said that we were watching a video of a Pink Floyd concert, many many years ago, with Guy Pratt on bass, and that he did a bass solo about which I said "well, this is the very first time I hear a bass solo that doesn't bore me". At the time I was not even remotely interested in playing bass.

[quote name='crez5150' post='1135772' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:01 PM']I'm hardly a Bedroom Snob... Bob...... and I have met him.... hence my cock reference.... but as Martin (MB1) told me.... he was a nice chap when he met him[/quote]

I stand corrected- not that I meant you pal but the overall feeling of abuse towards a fellow professional.

Mind you I suppose I could come across as pretty arrogant when conversing with my fellow professionals in my chosen career. So go figure.

[quote name='Wil' post='1135737' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:41 PM']Doesn't Guy Pratt post on Basschat?[/quote]
He did, under the id of "Dougie". Haven't seen him around for a few months now. Either he's decided to avoid us as have most of the 'pro' bassists that wander through, or he's busy, away playing stadium gigs, writing books, doing standup... being famous.

I really enjoyed the music he did to Young persons guide to becoming a rock star, especially "why dont you shag me". I also love the music from Still Carzy.
I do have his book but so far its unread (2 years now, sitting on a shelf).

He does seem to come across as confident rather than arrogant but i guess there is a fine line between the two and ive never met him.

Edited by dave_bass5