Why become a member? ×

Best Wireless System for Bass

phsycoandy

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='1134332' date='Feb 20 2011, 02:15 PM']Some advice wanted on that.

Plus our two guitarists want to go wireless as well, is there a system that would cater for the lot?

Advice please.[/quote]

Personally I'd recommnd the Line 6 G30/50/90 Relay systems. The numbers correspond to their range in metres...clarity is superb and variable frequencies so all 3 could operate onstage quite happily. They are quite pricey, the G30 is RRP £289...but the quality and durability make it worth the extra £.

Probably worth reading through [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121484"]this thread[/url].

Having read through this and done a bit more research I'm still not convinced by the current digital systems, the Line 6 one in particular uses the same frequency as WiFi and several wireless systems that you may come across if you're playing larger stages...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1134380' date='Feb 20 2011, 03:09 PM']Probably worth reading through [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121484"]this thread[/url].

Having read through this and done a bit more research I'm still not convinced by the current digital systems, the Line 6 one in particular uses the same frequency as WiFi and several wireless systems that you may come across if you're playing larger stages...[/quote]

It uses the same frequency, of course.
Do you, however, encounter problems when using a wifi signal for your PC at home, even 'though you may detect signals from 20 other neighbours?
Of course not. You may use the same frequency, but the data are coded/decoded and you only pick what you are supposed to pick. Same here.

In other words: that's a non-issue. It's not the same as with radio signals, where you could easily get interference. That's one of the beauties of the new digital systems.

Actually yes.

Some channels on my WiFi network are unusable because of interference - mainly the common ones.

This is why I'm reluctant to go digital. Plus the fact that Line 6 have missed a trick by not providing a digital out on the receiver which means that my audio signal has to go through a technical unnecessary extra set of D/A-A/D conversions before going into my Pod.

All of this may be true,but I have never experienced ANY interference through my G30,nor has it interfered with any of my other home electronics (mobile phone /laptop etc)
in the 2 years since I got one.
For that alone it gets my recommendation,apart from the fact that it is better than any other wireless I have had.
FYI its the only system that has been succsesful with piezo pickups plugged straight into it-no buffer amp needed.

Line 6 Relay G30/50/90

Encrypted WIFI signals, cable simulation, great range.

I use the G50. Main reason I went for this is because we occasionally play gigs with more than one band and the Line 6 Relay system is getting popular!
This means that while my band are not using the same channel (the G50 has 12) I got worried that someone in the wings tuning up could interfere with my signal! I get the feeling the same could happen when I start playing the beer festivals later on in the year.

I tend to put up a sticker with my bands name and what channel I am on - a couple of guitarists have said they found that useful as they ran the same Line 6 Relay system.

The G50 goes all the way down to 10hz so plenty low enough and with the cable simulation I am able to remove that digitally bright, crisp tone - I only role it on a bit just warm the sound up a bit.

Other have mentioned the possibility of signal compromise due to lots of devices running wifi - it is encrypted so there is no problem - your laptop doesn't suddentl pickup your neighbours websites due to signal crossover. There are over 12 wifi networks available to me where I am sat at the moment and the same principle applies.

It works well with passive. active, bass, guitar. I am proper impressed with it.

Another advantage - I can take a walk during sound check (we don't have a sound engineer anymore as he is now the bassist! ie me!) and check how we sound - the ability to do that is at times priceless with the weird and wonderful venues we play!

Buy. Buy. Buy.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1134399' date='Feb 20 2011, 03:34 PM']Actually yes.

Some channels on my WiFi network are unusable because of interference - mainly the common ones.[/quote]

I very much doubt it's possible with the G30 et al. Only interference will be from another G30 on the same channel unless i'm grossly misunderstanding how this thing works...

My guitarist uses a Line 6 G30 and it sounds brill and is dead easy and quick to set up. He loves it. I would get one but they are really expensive, so I'm looking at these ....http://braceaudio.com/page/products-1

They get great reveiws and Thomann are doing a great price on them. Aparently Eminems whole band used them at a biq awards ceremony recently.

Might just go for one.

S

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='1134808' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:06 PM']This is great guys, thanks. Is there a single device, rather than 3 individual bits of kit, that we could use for 3 instruments all into separate amps?[/quote]

Not that I know of. Even the big theatre productions tend to use modular rack set ups so the broken one can get swapped out easily. The big Sennheissers are popular for that - auto channel shift to clear freqs if interference is detected, 30 concurrent running systems with no cross talk etc. new mortgage time!!!

At least with 3 systems if the band has problems you can take your own kit home rather than argue about used prices.

Loads of bands on musicradar use the line6 kit.

I'd suggest that you read the wireless sticky. There are problems with going digital but at the level which most of the users here play at ie smaller stages, it's not an issue. There are issues with digital systems such as Instant drop out, issues with interfering with networks and durability. But as said mOst users here are playing small pubs and clubs so not so much of an issue

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='citymariner' post='1134690' date='Feb 20 2011, 07:28 PM']Line 6 Relay G30/50/90

Encrypted WIFI signals, cable simulation, great range.

I use the G50. Main reason I went for this is because we occasionally play gigs with more than one band and the Line 6 Relay system is getting popular!
This means that while my band are not using the same channel (the G50 has 12) I got worried that someone in the wings tuning up could interfere with my signal! I get the feeling the same could happen when I start playing the beer festivals later on in the year.

I tend to put up a sticker with my bands name and what channel I am on - a couple of guitarists have said they found that useful as they ran the same Line 6 Relay system.

The G50 goes all the way down to 10hz so plenty low enough and with the cable simulation I am able to remove that digitally bright, crisp tone - I only role it on a bit just warm the sound up a bit.

Other have mentioned the possibility of signal compromise due to lots of devices running wifi - it is encrypted so there is no problem - your laptop doesn't suddentl pickup your neighbours websites due to signal crossover. There are over 12 wifi networks available to me where I am sat at the moment and the same principle applies.

It works well with passive. active, bass, guitar. I am proper impressed with it.

Another advantage - I can take a walk during sound check (we don't have a sound engineer anymore as he is now the bassist! ie me!) and check how we sound - the ability to do that is at times priceless with the weird and wonderful venues we play!

Buy. Buy. Buy.[/quote]

+1

I also have the G50, I got that over the G30 due to the larger number of usable channels and the fact it's made of metal rather than plastic.

I use an active 5 string bass and it's like I'm using a cable with no wires :) Expensive, but best thing I have ever bought!

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1142114' date='Feb 26 2011, 09:53 AM']One piece of advice I would like to add is that if you do go wireless keep a long enough cable in your kit bag incase it breaks down!
Sounds bleedin' obvious but you'd be surprised!

Regards,
Jon[/quote]

Big +1

Hey guys,

Really good advice here with the wireless info! I'm looking into the Line 6 G30 too but I'm not sure if these will work abroad? My band had a gig in Barcelona and there were a few times when I nearly yanked the cable out of the amp. I'm not font of getting a longer cable either as it could get messy and more chances of me tripping over when I move about on stage.

Does anyone know if these wireless systems have any problems working abroad?

• 2 weeks later...

I use a G30, as do the guitarist and fiddle player in my band, they're brilliant. Never had any issues.

Even better the receiver seems to lock on to a single transmitter. We had a play around some time ago and I'm pretty sure that if I switched my reciever to the guitarist's channel when he was set up my receiver wouldn't pick him up. When you change channel/turn it on it must find a transmitter, pair with it and somehow only use data it gets from that box. Pretty sure that's what happened anyway!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1298894652' post='1144345']
+1

I also have the G50, I got that over the G30 due to the larger number of usable channels and the fact it's made of metal rather than plastic.

I use an active 5 string bass and it's like I'm using a cable with no wires :P Expensive, but best thing I have ever bought!
[/quote]

Waking up an old thread, have to agree that my G50 is the best thing I've bought for my bass too - really liberating stuff and love people's surprise when I end up playing in the crowd! Worth every penny IMO

Stageclix.

Even though I've had some issues with mine it's the most convenient and transparent sounding bit of kit on the market. Their customer service guys are great too, very helpful. Same for their UK distributors, MTR Audio!

Edited by chrismuzz

Yup....double thumbs up for the G30.
I've had one for a while now and I think it's great.
No cable to stand on, freedom of movement onstage, take a wander at soundcheck....all winners

Clarity is really good,.................. just make sure you have spare batteries!

I would fully recommend it.

I have a G30 and am really pleased with it-minor niggles are the battery compartment lid, which is a sod to close (I've read of others having this problem), and when I first had it it drank batteries (couldn't get through an afternoon's rehearsal). A shorter lead and a set of Duracells instead of pound shop jobs, and no more trouble.