Why become a member? ×

Non standard tuning a 5 string

HI guys

Hope I'm putting this in the right place. I have a Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 string. Its tone is fantastic and it is very playable. The problem is that my band play in drop c# and I didn't want an extra low string, so I retuned to get an extra high. Of course, this actually meant tuning UP not down....the bass started developing dead spots on the higher frets. The shop I purchased it from had a look at it and advised me to return it to standard tuning and keep the low B and drop the other strings to our tuning (B, C#, G#, C#, F#).

Can the bass actually be set up to handle the tuning as I want it? Or do I need to look at another bass designed to be played with heavier tunings?

Jay

[quote name='SuicideVeilBassist' post='1133253' date='Feb 19 2011, 12:08 PM']HI guys

Hope I'm putting this in the right place. I have a Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 string. Its tone is fantastic and it is very playable. The problem is that my band play in drop c# and I didn't want an extra low string, so I retuned to get an extra high. Of course, this actually meant tuning UP not down....the bass started developing dead spots on the higher frets. The shop I purchased it from had a look at it and advised me to return it to standard tuning and keep the low B and drop the other strings to our tuning (B, C#, G#, C#, F#).

Can the bass actually be set up to handle the tuning as I want it? Or do I need to look at another bass designed to be played with heavier tunings?

Jay[/quote]

my 6 string handles two extra highs in drop B so yours should be fine. what gauge strings are you using?

[quote name='paulwillson' post='1133261' date='Feb 19 2011, 12:15 PM']my 6 string handles two extra highs in drop B so yours should be fine. what gauge strings are you using?[/quote]

I'm running Ernie Ball Regular Slinky.

I did need the action lowered, there's been a huge kerfufle about this bass...

Did you have yours set up for that tuning or did you just go for it?

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1133293' date='Feb 19 2011, 12:45 PM']This may or may not be useful, but i used to play in a band that played in C standard. I left my 6 string in standard tuning but tuned the low B up to a C. Luckily for me' the riffs were still playable, so that's an option :)[/quote]

Yeah that could be a possibility. It's just a pain in the backside. I think 3 different people at my the shop have looked at it and tweaked it and given advice, now the damn thing is playable at all, yet the shop want near enough £50 (incl. strings) to set it up...sadly I don't have that sorta cash kicking around spare.

Unfortunately this is one of those things where everyone is gonna have something different that works for them best. If you're not sure what you want, you may benefit from finding an online tutorial for setting up your bass yourself. It's fairly easy to do a reasonable job when you know how. You might even do well enough so that once you've found what you want, you won't need to pay someone your hard earned cash to perfect it! :)

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1133614' date='Feb 19 2011, 05:30 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=122980&hl="]this is where i found a solution for 5 string drop tuning.[/url]

hope this helps you. i play a shade lower than you but this should help at least[/quote]

Hey man, that link has helped. I need to do some adjustment to my neck and maybe go for a lighter gauge string...seems that the extra tension of tuning up can be balanced with lighter strings

Correct me if I'm wrong

[quote name='SuicideVeilBassist' post='1133935' date='Feb 20 2011, 12:39 AM']Hey man, that link has helped. I need to do some adjustment to my neck and maybe go for a lighter gauge string...seems that the extra tension of tuning up can be balanced with lighter strings

Correct me if I'm wrong[/quote]

No problem man. yeah thats about it. You could also chat to 7string on here, he sorted my bass out for me and helped with the string choices to suit my (and i quote) "weirdo tuning"

hope you get it all sorted.

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1134282' date='Feb 20 2011, 01:24 PM']No problem man. yeah thats about it. You could also chat to 7string on here, he sorted my bass out for me and helped with the string choices to suit my (and i quote) "weirdo tuning"

hope you get it all sorted.[/quote]

Awesome, I'll try that too.

That settles it, next bass I buy, I'm gonna pay the extra and get it set up at purchase! lol