Why become a member? ×

Lightening a bass

fryer

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1133911' date='Feb 20 2011, 12:11 AM']I think Sterling Ball will be after Bongo copyright infringements on it Rich :)

Also the log burner style speaker cab is pretty cool (hot)![/quote]
Haha I know. :)
Actually when I was working out the design, I put a Stingray-esque pickguard on it - the MM connection and assosciation to Bongo was all too much so I scrapped the idea.

The cab sounds like sh*t but it toasts a lovely marshmallow. :lol:

That was at our cottage at the Moffat bash. My 4x10 is just out of shot.
Left to right : Eude, Neepheid (and my Wunkay), Connor, Munkonthehill.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1133857' date='Feb 19 2011, 02:39 PM'][attachment=72725:IMAG0019.jpg]

It's the one hanging on the wall looking for all the world like it doesn't neckdive.... and yes it is what you think it is. I called this project The Pee Bass. :)[/quote]
Are you worried that EBMM might sue for copying their design?

[quote name='thebrig' post='1133709' date='Feb 19 2011, 07:16 PM']So I hunted around for lightweight bass, and found myself a Ibanez SR500.

Not only does it weigh only 7lbs, I was staggered as to how it feels to play.
It feels like you are playing a guitar rather than a bass, and the reach is similar to a shortscale bass.[/quote]

+1

I've used a 505 as my main gigging instrument for quite a few years now and totally agree with the above.

[quote name='el borracho' post='1133199' date='Feb 19 2011, 11:22 AM']Anyone remember Russ Ballard's Strat?? Probably not what you have in mind!

[attachment=72628:ballard.JPG][/quote]

I think I read once that John Mayall did the same thing?

Russ Ballard was the singer/guitarist in the 70's prog-rock band Argent! He did indeed write God Gave Rock n Roll to you, as murdered, sorry, covered by Kiss! Though I'm sure you all knew that really....

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1134863' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:50 PM']I think I read once that John Mayall did the same thing?

Russ Ballard was the singer/guitarist in the 70's prog-rock band Argent! He did indeed write God Gave Rock n Roll to you, as murdered, sorry, covered by Kiss! Though I'm sure you all knew that really....[/quote]

Must have made a sh*t ton cash out of that.

• 2 months later...

Well thanks for all the comments, both for and against, but I bought a cheap Hagstrom HB 4, and lightened it. I routed under the strachplate and drilled holes in the body and headstock.

It's definately lighter, and to me still sounds the same. I also changed the bridge to get the string spacing closer. Was 60 mm, now 54 mm. Still got to finish the holes, by painting.

Using it a a festival today.

[quote name='fryer' post='1216337' date='May 1 2011, 09:04 AM']Well thanks for all the comments, both for and against, but I bought a cheap Hagstrom HB 4, and lightened it. I routed under the strachplate and drilled holes in the body and headstock.

It's definately lighter, and to me still sounds the same. I also changed the bridge to get the string spacing closer. Was 60 mm, now 54 mm. Still got to finish the holes, by painting.

Using it a a festival today.[/quote]

Looks awesome man.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1216387' date='May 1 2011, 10:28 AM']I was looking at a build thread the other day and the guy had put "Tone chambers" into the neck.

Looked like two extra, shallow cut truss rod routes.

How it would affect the stability of the neck on a bass though I dunno.[/quote]

Depends if you put graphite rods into said "tone chambers".

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1216369' date='May 1 2011, 09:51 AM']Did you weigh the body before and after?
That bridge doesn't look particularly light. A bbot with tusq saddles would probably be more in keeping with the theme.[/quote]

I didn't weigh it accurately before I started, but have now. My Hag HB 8 ( which is heavier ) weighs 4.28 kg - 9.4 lbs, and the HB 4 now weighs 3.85 kg - 8.4 lbs. So I've only taken less than a pound from it.

The bridge is a Schaller 3D, and is lighter than the original Hagstrom one.

I'll have to get the saw out again.