Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs

Chezz55

[quote name='machinehead' post='53524' date='Aug 31 2007, 06:05 PM']Dave,

I'm far from an expert on bass equipment but I have 35years + playing experience. I'm always a bit reluctant to recommend gear to fellow bass players because what you like is so subjective.
But since you ask specifically about the 1212L, and I have one, I'll chip in.

This is the clearest, punchiest cab I've used. It's perfect for me playing rock/pop covers/blues. I personally love the sound and the pair of 12" speakers give loads of bottom - end to my ears anyway. To me, it's a very "useable" sound for a player who plays different venues every gig and has to move gear.
I've yet to come anywhere near needing the full power of this cab. played a few large hotel function rooms and filled the room easily. Next Saturday I'm playing a semi-outdoor gig in a marque in the pub garden. I have no worries at all about being heard although this will be the first outdoor gig for this cab.

The other thing is the clarity as a monitor for me and the rest of the band. I can hear every note to the extent that it's hard to cover mistakes but it has forced me to be a more precise player which can only be a good thing?

Of course, it's a compromise. There isn't the really deep in-your-chest bass but I feel the sound is a fair balance considering the size and weight of the thing.

I haven't heard a 1210 which is a pity because it would probably have been useful to you if I could have compared the sound of the two.

Is there any way you can try one before buying and SHX music maybe.

BTW, I noticed on the SHX website some offers, including on the 1212L. Might be worth checking

Anyway, I hope my ramblings are of some help.
Frank[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
You know, i feel the same about my 1210. I have done quite a few marquees with it and its been great. Maybe having a 10" in there makes it a bit thinner than 212's. Certainly ill get on well with the 1212L, i just hope its different enough from the UL212. I still like seeing the bigger cab behind me though.

I looked on the SHX site and the prices are good. The offers seem to be July offers but ill get in touch and see what's what next week. Jorg has offered me a very good deal though so i might go direct to him.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='53503' date='Aug 31 2007, 07:17 PM']I am worried that the reason i dont get on with my UL212 is because its a 212 and thats worrying me that i might just feel the same about the 1212L as well but im hoping the 1212L will have a bit more mid range punch.[/quote]
Oh, it will, it will...

Hi Dave,

Thought I'd chip in as I had a 1210, and now possess a 1212L. I find the 1212 is a fair bit flatter in response than my old 1210, there's less of a low mid hump (which surprised me) and more Upper-mid (which I really used to miss with the 1210 - always felt it was slightly 'blanketed' somewhat).

One thing I've noticed is that, true enough as some people will say; they don't naturally have that really deeeeeep low, just an nice useful low, plus the punch. You can dial in more lows, though up to a point (obviously) where it sounds a bit boomy (just like ANY other cabinet out there). But not that real LOW low. This may or may not be a bonus - it works well for me as I've got quite a naturally deep tone/touch when I play. I'm pretty certain that you're familiar with 'the tone' of Schroeders anyway!

I think ideally I would have bought a 1210L (I reckon) but the 1212L was all SHX had in at the time, so I went with that. I've not been disappointed with it at all - I do wonder though if you'll notice much difference (especially for live work) between the 1210 and the 1212L.

When are you gigging over the next month? I've got one towards the end of the month, was wondering if you'd fancy swapping the cabs for you to try the 12L before ordering it, so you can see if will work out for you?

Cheers and all the best.

Rich

[quote name='RichBowman' post='53952' date='Sep 1 2007, 06:46 PM']When are you gigging over the next month? I've got one towards the end of the month, was wondering if you'd fancy swapping the cabs for you to try the 12L before ordering it, so you can see if will work out for you?

Cheers and all the best.

Rich[/quote]

What an offer! Nice to see this kind of thing on basschat. (No use in me making a similar offer - I'm in Belfast)
Frank

[quote name='RichBowman' post='53952' date='Sep 1 2007, 06:46 PM']One thing I've noticed is that, true enough as some people will say; they don't naturally have that really deeeeeep low, just an nice useful low, plus the punch. You can dial in more lows, though up to a point (obviously) where it sounds a bit boomy (just like ANY other cabinet out there). But not that real LOW low. This may or may not be a bonus - it works well for me as I've got quite a naturally deep tone/touch when I play. I'm pretty certain that you're familiar with 'the tone' of Schroeders anyway!

I think ideally I would have bought a 1210L (I reckon) but the 1212L was all SHX had in at the time, so I went with that. I've not been disappointed with it at all - I do wonder though if you'll notice much difference (especially for live work) between the 1210 and the 1212L.

Rich[/quote]

Rich, can i ask if you have one of the newer versions with the round tweeter? I hear they are by far the best version so far?

Thanks

Hi Dave,

I've got the square one in - I've not been keeping up to date with any Schroeder developments. I remember there were two options before - Something like Selenium or Titanium. I don't know what this one is, though it sounds better than the rectangular one that was in my 1210.

Cheers,

Rich

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='54080' date='Sep 2 2007, 02:53 AM']Rich, can i ask if you have one of the newer versions with the round tweeter? I hear they are by far the best version so far?

Thanks[/quote]

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='55591' date='Sep 4 2007, 10:10 PM']Thanks Rich.
Ive been in touch with SHX and they have the 1212L for £519 delivered. Bloody good price IMO.

Ok, can i ask any 1212L owners if they have the round tweeter or older rectangle one?
Just trying to get an idea of how different they sound[/quote]

Bonza - can't lose at that price I reckon! Just check that it's not one of the older (first series) 'L's - They had some panels made from a 'special' MDF. Might be unrelated, but my original 1212L was, and developed a bit of a resonance around 120-150hz, which was highly annoying. To be fair, Shawn at SHX was awesome, ordered a new one from Jorg, although it took a while to come (Can't blame him for that), then he drove up to Cambridge to exchange the new one for the vibrating old one. Can't say fairer than that. The vibration was coming from the top back of the angled baffle - it just had the tiniest bit of play in it.

Cheers and best of luck,

Rich

[quote name='RichBowman' post='55605' date='Sep 4 2007, 10:32 PM']Bonza - can't lose at that price I reckon! Just check that it's not one of the older (first series) 'L's - They had some panels made from a 'special' MDF. Might be unrelated, but my original 1212L was, and developed a bit of a resonance around 120-150hz, which was highly annoying. To be fair, Shawn at SHX was awesome, ordered a new one from Jorg, although it took a while to come (Can't blame him for that), then he drove up to Cambridge to exchange the new one for the vibrating old one. Can't say fairer than that. The vibration was coming from the top back of the angled baffle - it just had the tiniest bit of play in it.

Cheers and best of luck,

Rich[/quote]

Cheers, ill ask about that.
The only problem im having is that Shawn seems a bit slow at replying to his emails.

been reading this thread with interest - could I ask any schroeder users what are these cabs like as personal monitors - I currently have an epifani ul310 which is a really great sounding cab but the problem I find is that in a lot of venues where space on stage is at a premium and i am DI'ing through a PA the sound from the epi shoots past me at about knee level and it is sometimes difficult to hear myself play. Does the schroeder cab with an angled speaker overcome this - can you hear yourself clearly stood right in front of the cab? be grateful for opinions - thanks

[quote name='loudandclear' post='56782' date='Sep 7 2007, 12:30 AM']been reading this thread with interest - could I ask any schroeder users what are these cabs like as personal monitors - I currently have an epifani ul310 which is a really great sounding cab but the problem I find is that in a lot of venues where space on stage is at a premium and i am DI'ing through a PA the sound from the epi shoots past me at about knee level and it is sometimes difficult to hear myself play. Does the schroeder cab with an angled speaker overcome this - can you hear yourself clearly stood right in front of the cab? be grateful for opinions - thanks[/quote]

I had the same reservations myself. I used to lug around an Ashdown 410 in a flight case - the only reason for the flight case was so that I could stand the cab on it and have the speakers at ear level. Happily, those days are gone forever as I have no problem at all hearing the Schroeder. Although the cab is blasting away at the back of my knees, you can hear every note you play. My main problem now is trying to ignore my bandmates who keep telling me to turn down :)

[quote name='FretBuzz' post='56814' date='Sep 7 2007, 08:11 AM']I have no problem at all hearing the Schroeder. Although the cab is blasting away at the back of my knees, you can hear every note you play. My main problem now is trying to ignore my bandmates who keep telling me to turn down :)[/quote]

Same here with my 1210R. My guitarist tells me im way too loud and all he can hear is me on the other side of the stage. Out front the mix is perfect.
On stage the 1210 is quite middy sounding so cuts through nicely close up and out front the mids die down a bit letting the lows bloom a bit (i think thats the term) and it sounds a bit smoother

[quote name='loudandclear' post='56782' date='Sep 7 2007, 12:30 AM']been reading this thread with interest - could I ask any schroeder users what are these cabs like as personal monitors - I currently have an epifani ul310 which is a really great sounding cab but the problem I find is that in a lot of venues where space on stage is at a premium and i am DI'ing through a PA the sound from the epi shoots past me at about knee level and it is sometimes difficult to hear myself play. Does the schroeder cab with an angled speaker overcome this - can you hear yourself clearly stood right in front of the cab? be grateful for opinions - thanks[/quote]

Oh yes, you'll be able to hear it - as will everyone on stage and in the hall - and without excessive volume.
That is by far the most startling characteristic of my 1212L

Someone please explain the way this works cos I don't understand how they do it :)

As for the band thinking you are too loud, that's because they have been used to only hearing the bass that clearly when it's way too loud in the mix.
I had exactly the same experience with my band.

My drummer loves it 'cos it cuts right through all that clatter and crash he is surrounded with. Early days but I think it's going to make us an even tighter unit.

Oh and I've booked a few lessons to review my technique a little as now everyone in the hall can also hear my slips, slurs and hen-ups .....

I borrowed one of these cabs (2x10 +1x12) and I have to concur that the ability to hear yourself onstage, behind the drummer, at the back of the room, in the car park is quite eerie. You don't even need to turn the speaker so that the angled driver is pointing up. The cab design/speaker characteristics mean that the mids seem to project without getting too honky. Saying that, it's just an opinion, it won't suit everyone's situation; though they are great for being heard and I was immensly impressed it didn't quite push all of my buttons, I still elected to buy a different cab!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='56844' date='Sep 7 2007, 09:49 AM']I borrowed one of these cabs (2x10 +1x12) and I have to concur that the ability to hear yourself onstage, behind the drummer, at the back of the room, in the car park is quite eerie. You don't even need to turn the speaker so that the angled driver is pointing up. The cab design/speaker characteristics mean that the mids seem to project without getting too honky. Saying that, it's just an opinion, it won't suit everyone's situation; though they are great for being heard and I was immensly impressed it didn't quite push all of my buttons, I still elected to buy a different cab![/quote]

IMO thats the thing with the Schroeders. They get the job done, get you heard etc but dont quite have that perfect sound.
Im my case its certainly usable and i cant see me changing my 1210R for anything else just yet (ive tried a some will know) but its not my ideal sound.

Last night I played a gig in a very large marquee. They had one of those portable stages that fold down so the band were about a foot off the ground. Not an easy set up for getting a decent sound.

I used the Schroeder 1212L and Markbass LM II amp. Gain was set at 12 oclock and volume at 9 oclock. At these settings I was easily loud enough for the rock/pop/ blues covers we were doing.

We had a dep guitarist for the night who we'd never rehearsed with (he did a good job) and he commented very favourably on my sound after the gig.
As usual, he was surprised that such a small box sounded so big and loud and, to be honest, I was not even pushing the amp or the cab.

So, it confirms for me just how useful the 1212L is to a player like me, who plays lots of different venues and doesn't want the trouble of humping heavy gear from house to car/ pub/car/ house. It's so compact as well. Fits easily in the boot of my Fiesta.

The sound is not really very deep, but for most real life situations, the Schroeder copes very well. It is punchy, can sound smooth as well and I can't imagine where I will ever be playing when it isn't loud enough.

As everyone always says though, and it's good advice, it's best to try these cabs yourself before buying.
Frank

I have ordered a 1212L from SHXmusic - should be delivered tomorrow hopefully. I haven't had a chance to try one yet though, I just know I need something light that weill be loud enough and the Schroder seems to fit the bill from what I have heard. I will put it through its paces onstage on Sunday.

[quote name='Viajero' post='59439' date='Sep 12 2007, 06:52 PM']Has anyone ordered direct from the States? With a 1212 costing about $800 but over £700, I can't help wondering if it would be bargainous to get one shipped in...[/quote]

I got mine direct from Jorg. You should email him, he will do you a good deal if you explain what you want.

[quote name='Viajero' post='59439' date='Sep 12 2007, 06:52 PM']Has anyone ordered direct from the States? With a 1212 costing about $800 but over £700, I can't help wondering if it would be bargainous to get one shipped in...[/quote]

I ordered a 1210R directly from Jorg Schroeder. When you add the shipping and import duties It works out about the same as ordering from SHX.

[quote name='Viajero' post='59527' date='Sep 12 2007, 08:52 PM']Curses. Better start saving, then.[/quote]

Each time i have delt with Jorg he has offered to lower the price a bit. last month when i was looking around he said i could have the Rhino covering for free. And he would also do his best to get it through customs as cheap as possible.
The thing with dealing with Jorg is that he can probably get you what you want quicker than a dealer if its not in stock.
IMHO of course.