Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs

Chezz55

I used my 410 for the first time in anger last night. I was using my Sterling and new T-Rex Comp Nova compressor and with everything set flat, it was loud and very punchy. I always sound check out front using a long lead and it sounded great in the mix - very clean and quite percussive (ie - trouser flapping). When it went quiet during soundcheck, I walked back to the amp/cab and played a few notes and I thought, bloody hell I'm too loud but I wasn't too loud in the mix at all.

On the whole, I'm very pleased - it sounds a bit ballsier than the Epifani UL310 I had and I could hear myself much better...BUT, it is heavy and because of the weight, I don't know if it's a long term keeper. I could carry my Epifani one handed up a flight of stairs, but this needs two people to carry it more than 10 feet on the flat. In conclusion, I would say the Schroeder sounds better than the Epi IMHO, I'm not sure the positive benefits of the good sound outweigh the negative that is the weight of the thing.

Time will tell.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='32005' date='Jul 15 2007, 10:19 AM']I used my 410 for the first time in anger last night. I was using my Sterling and new T-Rex Comp Nova compressor and with everything set flat, it was loud and very punchy. I always sound check out front using a long lead and it sounded great in the mix - very clean and quite percussive (ie - trouser flapping). When it went quiet during soundcheck, I walked back to the amp/cab and played a few notes and I thought, bloody hell I'm too loud but I wasn't too loud in the mix at all.

Time will tell.[/quote]

Thats what i felt when i got my 1210R. totally different sound on stage. like you i soundcheck out front if i can and dont worry about what it sounds like when im standing in front of it on stage. Normall its quite loud and middy so i have no issue hearing it.

Played at Blenheim place last night and i was only on 2 on the master and standing about a foot form it. I couldn't hear the guitar at all but out front i was getting lost and had to turn up a bit. Then i couldn't hear the kick drum but it was a really good mix halfway down the room.
Terrible audience though. Lots of drunk toff's trying to grab mic's and stamping on the guitarists WahWah.

Does anyone own or have any experience of a 210212L or the new 412L?

Also, I can't get a response from SHX in Brighton, so I guess it means buying from either Woodandtronics, or Jorg himself. I know some of you have bought from W&T but, with the dollar as it is at the moment, is importing from US a cheaper option?

Cheers

Ian

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='35814' date='Jul 23 2007, 10:13 AM']Does anyone own or have any experience of a 210212L or the new 412L?

Also, I can't get a response from SHX in Brighton, so I guess it means buying from either Woodandtronics, or Jorg himself. I know some of you have bought from W&T but, with the dollar as it is at the moment, is importing from US a cheaper option?

Cheers

Ian[/quote]

After dealing with W&T i would say as helpful as they are i wont deal with them again. too many cock ups (see my thread about my faulty UL212).
I got my 1210 from Jorg and he was most helpful, even giving me a better price because i couldn't quite afford the full cost at the time. Compare that to W&T who, after i had transferred the correct amount (and paid the transfer cost) then asked for another £60+ for delivery because "they" had made a mistake. My UL212 cost over £100 more than getting it from the states (including VAT etc) and its had two new drivers since.
Even sending me a comfort Strapp went wrong. I asked for a Large, they sent me a Small :-(.

Not wanting to put off using W&T, just relating my bad experience's with using them.

Thanks Dave.

Are you saying that Jorg is flexible on the prices he quotes on his web-site? I hope so, because shipping costs for the 210212L or 412L is $385!

I've only ever bought parts from W&T and on both occassion I have had no problems at all. It can take a while getting a response to emails at times though.Cheers
Ian

Ian, at the time i was looking around for a cab i got in touch with Jorg and we had all the details sorted out. I then had a bill come in that needed paying and i told him i would order next month. He then asked what i wanted to pay for it. Of course i wasnt silly about it and said i could only afford a certain amount which was about £70 less than the web price. He said to help me out i could have the cab for that price if i wanted it.
I also didn't pay any import that time so it was a sweet deal.
This was over 18months ago though and just as the cabs were taking off. Im sure things will be different now.

As for W&T, i guess they are just a bit inexperienced IMO, Great to deal with and willing to sort any problems out but i dont expect to have to pay any more than the quoted price, or to return a driver that was faulty. and back and forward to the post office isnt what i expect either.

I'm in negotiation with Jorg at the moment for a 210212L cab. He's complicated things by giving me a tweeter option! Titanium or selenium. I'm hoping he can explain the differences without getting too technical. I was hoping to get the 412L to give more balls, but from what I've read here, this cab should perform fine with the lows.

So it looks like my Epifani UL410 will be up for sale.

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='36033' date='Jul 23 2007, 06:21 PM']I'm in negotiation with Jorg at the moment for a 210212L cab. He's complicated things by giving me a tweeter option! Titanium or selenium. I'm hoping he can explain the differences without getting too technical. I was hoping to get the 412L to give more balls, but from what I've read here, this cab should perform fine with the lows.

So it looks like my Epifani UL410 will be up for sale.[/quote]

Nice one. Look forward to hearing what you think of it.
Im thinking of selling my UL212 at some point and quite fancy one of the larger Schroeders

Thanks Dave. I'll let you know my thoughts when I get it. I see they no longer do the 310212. That was bit of a monster!

Mikey, I think I saw a thread or comment somewhere saying that the single mini-12 cabs weren't that good. But from what I've read above, the 1210 and 1212 are both outstanding.

Too tired after the gig last night so I thought I'd wait until today.

First impressions were that it is completely different to the Ashdown ABM115 that I was using - kind of made the Ashdown sound very boomy by comparison.

After mucking around with the setting on my amp, it became evident that my bass badly needs a set up.

The sound is very clear, not as much low end coming out of it as my Ashdown but I think that it is better this way but Jorg did say that after a few gigs I would get a bit more.

Volume wise - my Ashdown had been fitted with an Eminence Delta 500w 4ohm driver, this cab only needs half the volume for the same output.

Only the first gig but I am very impressed so far in terms of output, overall sound, build quality and the fact that I can carry it and my rack in one go meaning that i only have 3 trips to the car instead of 4

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='38464' date='Jul 29 2007, 01:29 PM']Too tired after the gig last night so I thought I'd wait until today.

First impressions were that it is completely different to the Ashdown ABM115 that I was using - kind of made the Ashdown sound very boomy by comparison.

After mucking around with the setting on my amp, it became evident that my bass badly needs a set up.

The sound is very clear, not as much low end coming out of it as my Ashdown but I think that it is better this way but Jorg did say that after a few gigs I would get a bit more.

Volume wise - my Ashdown had been fitted with an Eminence Delta 500w 4ohm driver, this cab only needs half the volume for the same output.

Only the first gig but I am very impressed so far in terms of output, overall sound, build quality and the fact that I can carry it and my rack in one go meaning that i only have 3 trips to the car instead of 4[/quote]

Sounds like you are happy. Nice one?
Remeber to try and get out front at some point and then you will hear a much better tone than when standing up close IMO.

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='36053' date='Jul 23 2007, 08:46 PM']Thanks Dave. I'll let you know my thoughts when I get it. I see they no longer do the 310212. That was bit of a monster![/quote]
Yeah, Jorg told me that the 210212 works just as well in his opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Markbass LMK and Schroeder 1212L for a few months now and it's brilliant.

I can only echo what has been said about the clarity. It does confuse band mates a bit as they can hear the bass so clearly that they think you must be up too loud ...

I sound check the band with a radio system from the dance floor and the bass is clear all over .. I can even go over to the other side of the drums and stand by the guitarist and yet still hear myself clearly.

Of course that does mean I have to play more accurately :) hummmm

The other stunning aspect of the cab is the way it reproduces the low end.
I have the LMK channels set up very differently - chan one is set for normal rock, so that's kind of SVT settings. The other channel is set for reggae - that's full on bass and no treble at all. I foot switch between them and the lows are stunning. Smooth as silk and with no edge at all ..I've really never heard anything like it.

I also had the use of a 1212R for half a gig (A-B'ing the two) and it was equally as good but a tad heavy. Visually nice to have a stack though ....
The 1212L is very easy to carry.

The tweeter is very effective too and it's taken a while to find the best setting.

So overall it's great.

As a 21012 owner, its probably time I chimed in on this thread.

I use mine for small gigs paired with my SWR 750x. As most of you know, the SWR is generally known for having a natural mid-range cut, which may explain why it works so well with the 21012 which is supposed to have a mid range hump. I don't gig very often these days, and when I do, its generally depping with a loud rock covers band.

For smaller pub type gigs, I'll generally throw the Schro in the boot and it has no problems keeping up with a four channel dietzel head on a mesa 4x12. The projection from these things is quite amazing, and it really fills a room. If you are looking for totally flat hifi type sound then I don't think this is the cab for you. Yes, it has a tone of its own, yes it has great clarity, yes it has great projection, but it also is a big sound. Somebody explained to me that because the 12" driver is set behind the tens on an angled baffle projecting into what amounts to be a horn flare, you get a timing issue between the sound coming from the tens and the twelve. The best way I can describe this in practise is that when you are up the dusty end (somewhere I don't go very often) you get what amounts to an extremely mild reverb type effect. It is extremely small mind and I might be exagerating it, after all, once you start listening for something, you generally convince yourself that you can here it.

Weight-wise, its a comfortable one man lift and is certainly easier to handle than my SWR Goliath (or SoB for that matter!).

My other rig is the same amp head paired with the Goliath (4x10) and Son of Bertha (1x15) cabs. Sure, this rig has more balls than the Schro on its own, but it also takes up a lot more car/van space and has more potential to wreck my back in the short term!

If you are in the market for a relatively small but powerful cab for a single cab setup, I recommend you try a Schroeder.

[quote name='JPJ' post='43197' date='Aug 9 2007, 11:16 AM']If you are in the market for a relatively small but powerful cab for a single cab setup, I recommend you try a Schroeder.[/quote]

..or buy my 410R for a very reasonable price :) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3744"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3744[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='43238' date='Aug 9 2007, 01:17 PM']..or buy my 410R for a very reasonable price :) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3744"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3744[/url][/quote]

I bought niceguyhomer's Schroeder 410R and I used it today for the first time at a gig. We were booked to do an afternoon gig at a pub we play at regularly and I took the Schroeder with me. When I arrived, the landlady said that as it was such a nice day, we would be playing outside in the garden. I was more than a little apprehensive and would have dashed home to pick up the 810 Warwick that I normally use for outdoor gigs, but as I didn't have time, I had no alternative other than give the Schroeder a try.

Even though I had read all of the reviews on Schroeder cabs and knew that they were real performers, I was still a little skeptical. Five seconds into our first song my skepticism was gone and I was completely gobsmacked. Our singer's partner, also a bass player, was out front and when I looked at him he was just smiling and giving me the "F***ing awsome" look. I would never have believed that such a small enclosure was capable of producing a sound so loud and clear - you hear every note you play. As does the audience and every member of the band, which means that they hear every bum note as well. I think these cabs will either improve your playing accuracy or get you fired from your band!

I am really looking forward to putting the Schroeder through its paces at an indoor gig, especially the ones with lousy acoustics.

I have to say that initially I was worried that I had made the wrong move as my Ashdown ABM115 had so much bottom end boom.

After a few gigs i am absolutely over the moon. I now realise that the Ashdown was just boom with little definiton. I now find that I need to use a fraction of the volume on my amp that I used to.

the sound is fantastic. I think subconsciously I wanted a Billy Sheehan / Chris Squire sound because that is what I have. I am primarily a finger player and always set up my amps and basses for this but i now find that i have the most amazing slap and pick sounds available as well with minimal adjustment.

My whole set up comprises the 1212L, a GK 700RB II and my main bass - a '51 reissue Japanese precision.

I can now also get my gear into the gig with 2 trips instead of 3 so less carrying time. I carry my 1212L and rack wwith my cable bag on one trip and my stands and bass in the second. Easy peasy. No more wheeling a big heavy cab around.

I will be doing my first gig on Friday with no pa in Selkirk but I have no doubt that the sound will be ace and plenty loud

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='52585' date='Aug 30 2007, 01:44 AM']I have to say that initially I was worried that I had made the wrong move as my Ashdown ABM115 had so much bottom end boom.

After a few gigs i am absolutely over the moon. I now realise that the Ashdown was just boom with little definiton. I now find that I need to use a fraction of the volume on my amp that I used to.

the sound is fantastic. I think subconsciously I wanted a Billy Sheehan / Chris Squire sound because that is what I have. I am primarily a finger player and always set up my amps and basses for this but i now find that i have the most amazing slap and pick sounds available as well with minimal adjustment.

My whole set up comprises the 1212L, a GK 700RB II and my main bass - a '51 reissue Japanese precision.

I can now also get my gear into the gig with 2 trips instead of 3 so less carrying time. I carry my 1212L and rack wwith my cable bag on one trip and my stands and bass in the second. Easy peasy. No more wheeling a big heavy cab around.

I will be doing my first gig on Friday with no pa in Selkirk but I have no doubt that the sound will be ace and plenty loud[/quote]

nice one.
Im now convinced that my UL212 is getting sold soon. Ive had a word with Jorg and i think im going for a 1212L as well. With what ill get for the UL212 i should break even. Not sure i shouldnt just get the 21012L but i know my 1210R has done many gigs without a problem so i know the 1212L will do a bit better.
I am worried that the reason i dont get on with my UL212 is because its a 212 and thats worrying me that i might just feel the same about the 1212L as well but im hoping the 1212L will have a bit more mid range punch.

any comments guys? oh, now to decide what colour to get it in.

Dave,

I'm far from an expert on bass equipment but I have 35years + playing experience. I'm always a bit reluctant to recommend gear to fellow bass players because what you like is so subjective.
But since you ask specifically about the 1212L, and I have one, I'll chip in.

This is the clearest, punchiest cab I've used. It's perfect for me playing rock/pop covers/blues. I personally love the sound and the pair of 12" speakers give loads of bottom - end to my ears anyway. To me, it's a very "useable" sound for a player who plays different venues every gig and has to move gear.
I've yet to come anywhere near needing the full power of this cab. played a few large hotel function rooms and filled the room easily. Next Saturday I'm playing a semi-outdoor gig in a marque in the pub garden. I have no worries at all about being heard although this will be the first outdoor gig for this cab.

The other thing is the clarity as a monitor for me and the rest of the band. I can hear every note to the extent that it's hard to cover mistakes but it has forced me to be a more precise player which can only be a good thing?

Of course, it's a compromise. There isn't the really deep in-your-chest bass but I feel the sound is a fair balance considering the size and weight of the thing.

I haven't heard a 1210 which is a pity because it would probably have been useful to you if I could have compared the sound of the two.

Is there any way you can try one before buying and SHX music maybe.

BTW, I noticed on the SHX website some offers, including on the 1212L. Might be worth checking

Anyway, I hope my ramblings are of some help.
Frank