Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs

Chezz55

Hi All.

My current speaker set up is Mesa Engineering Powerhouse 2x10 and 1x15 cabinets. (Amp is a Warwick ProFet 5.1)

I've recently checked out the Schroeder website and it's set me thinking about maybe going 'light-weight' so I'd be interested to hear comments from any BCers who have used Schroeder cabs - I guess I'm thinking of the 21012 or the 210212.

Looks like the UK distributor is SHX music in Brighton, which is a bit of an excursion from Oxford - so it would be good to hear any comments, opinions, thoughts and experiences from existing Schroeder users before facing the A34 and other selected highlights of the South-East road network.

Cheers.

Chris.

[quote name='Chezz55' post='12439' date='Jun 5 2007, 01:02 PM']Looks like the UK distributor is SHX music in Brighton, which is a bit of an excursion from Oxford - so it would be good to hear any comments, opinions, thoughts and experiences from existing Schroeder users before facing the A34 and other selected highlights of the South-East road network.

Cheers.

Chris.[/quote]
If I'm not mistaken, they will offer free post if you pay them by bank transfer. Better than spending a day each way in the car.

Cheers,

I've got a 1210L and a 410L.

The 1210 is very small and lightweight. Probably the loudest and punchiest cab for it's size on the market and has a very cut-through sound. The only downside is that it is quite mid prominent, which is not a sound that is to everyone's taste. You really need to listen and try it out before you buy.

The large cabs like the 21012 and 410 have a much more neutral sound. Again they are very loud and punchy. They were designed to be a one cab solution and you really don't need more than one. I run my 410L with either an ABM500 or a Markbass LMII and I can't imagine a situation where I would need more volume or punch.

I borrowed WoT's Schroeder cab and I was impressed by the fact that it could be heard as clearly at 3' as it would at 30'. Not sure if this is an attribute of the midrange peak/hump but it still appeared to have a very full fat sound, not boxy at all! I was impressed enough to consider buying one over the Tech 6x10 that I went for.

I used to have a 1210R and a Mini12R. The 1210 was very nice, I hated the Mini12 on its own but the two compared was a great setup. The smaller you get, the more mids you'll hear - with the 1210 I liked it and it sat great in the mix, with the Mini12 the sound was just annoying imo when played at home, but also sits well in the mix. The 1210, when pushed, would sound a little boxy, but that's the price you pay for such a small and loud cab. Also there isn't much true low end, which is also to be expected. The two combined were very nice, but in the end I replaced them, mainly because I wanted to try a full Glockenklang setup. I haven't played much with the Glock cabs, but so far I think the sound is more refined, of course with less mids, but still very loud. Of course, they are much bigger and pretty heavier. IMO, for the working bassist (or anyone who needs to move his rig a lot) Schroeder is a great choice. Light, small and loud. But don't expect a hi-fi tone. It's more defined than ampeg stuff though for example. That said, I had also played a gig with your Mesa setup, and I'm not sure that Schroeders would be an improvement sound-wise. But Mesa stuff sure is heavy, so it probably makes sense.

I've had my 21012L for nearly a year. It kicks arse...

It's a great rock'n'roll cab.. as someone mentioned, it won't be as HiFi as some of the other top-end stuff, but that's not an attribute I need anyway. Loads of thump, punch, warmth.. all the usual cliches. It's a proper BASS cab. My fretless sounds great through it, too. It's also incredibly efficient.

Unlike the 1210 and 1212, it's a very 'open' cab and is much flatter with less of a hump.

A couple of weeks ago I the bass player out of a very loud local old-skool R'n'B band borrowed it for a gig in a large, full room, and I had the luxury of hearing it out front. It was incredible... very balanced all over the room. I checked with the sound guy and he didn't have any in the FOH, even though the drums were mic'd. It's THAT good.

Based on that, I can't imagine what a 210212 would sound like. More volume than you'd ever practically need, I reckon.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with a medium-size Schro.

I've got the 410L with an Ashdown ABM amp, absolutely top notch and as wateroftyne said [quote]It's a proper BASS cab[/quote]
All I can say is, after 15 years playing I've finally got a sound that I love. A warm, round, low-end punch that you feel as much as you hear.
Swapped my Ashdown ABM 2x10 and 1x15 for a single 4 ohm 4x10 cab and don't miss the 15" one little bit.
I play typical pub, function band stuff if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I would in no way set myself up as an expert in sound or bass gear in general, I think the 1212L I bought a few months ago is the perfect solution (for me at least) for the type of gigs I do. (Usual pubs, clubs, the odd function)

Best things are:

You can hear yourself really clearly.
Everyone in the band and audience can hear you as well.
Sound is full, clear and punchy. Suits all the music I play. (Rock, blues, covers)
It's lightweight, compact but sounds like a much bigger cab to my ears.

Good value for money, especially as it's a one-cab solution. Previously I used two cabs, far more expensive than the one Schroeder. (Markbass, although I lost money selling as I bought a pair of Markbass 2x10s new, such is life. Also paired a 2x10 with a 1x15 for a while.)

When I first tried the Schroeder at home I wasn't very impressed. After a couple of gigs I was sold. It works best playing gigs, but sounds poor at home I think.

The best advice is definately to try one yourself though. Obviously, not everyone will like them.

Frank

I have been using a 1210R of over a year now and its the one cab i have that i know ill be loud enough with.
We don't play silly volumes but if we did this can hold its own with my MB SA450.
I did go through a period when i didn't like the mid bump but when i go out front it sounds really nice, lots of lows and smooth highs.

As Frank said, you really need some distance from it to hear it at its best. I find the mid bump helps me hear myself on stage but the sound changes out fornt and sits nicely in our mix.

I would love a 1212L and maybe this year i might think about getting one.

Edited by dave_bass5

I have just taken the plunge and ordered one direct with Jorg Schroeder - what a nice guy.

I have gone with the 1212L in blue rhino finish.

I ordered it monday 18th and he is posting it to me this monday coming (25th) so hopefully I should have it for my gig next Friday.

Been using a 1210. Impressed. Not as hi fi as my EA cabs but punchy and loud. Also one less trip to the car at the end of the night. Been standing it vertically and it means I'm getting the 10 pointing more or less at me.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='22390' date='Jun 23 2007, 05:14 PM']I have just taken the plunge and ordered one direct with Jorg Schroeder - what a nice guy.

I ordered it monday 18th and he is posting it to me this monday coming (25th) so hopefully I should have it for my gig next Friday.[/quote]

Cool
I saw the pics of Ken jungs one over at TB, looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

Delberthot posted:
"I have just taken the plunge and ordered one direct with Jorg Schroeder - what a nice guy.

I ordered it monday 18th and he is posting it to me this monday coming (25th) so hopefully I should have it for my gig next Friday. "

Would be interesting to hear how you're getting on with the new Schroeder.
Thanks,
Frank

Edited by machinehead

Thanks to our ever reliable Royal Mail and their strikes, I still don't have the cab yet (or the other stuff I ordered from the US). Looking at the tracking information the plane carrying my cab was in the air for 7 days as it left the US on 28th and didn't arrive here until 5th. :)

After this weekend I am on holiday for a fortnight and won't get the chance to play live until the last Saturday of the month.

It could be worse - my other cabs that I am selling might have sold and I could now be without one at all for this weekend's gigs

[quote name='Delberthot' post='27698' date='Jul 5 2007, 11:52 PM']Thanks to our ever reliable Royal Mail and their strikes, I still don't have the cab yet (or the other stuff I ordered from the US). Looking at the tracking information the plane carrying my cab was in the air for 7 days as it left the US on 28th and didn't arrive here until 5th. :)

After this weekend I am on holiday for a fortnight and won't get the chance to play live until the last Saturday of the month.

It could be worse - my other cabs that I am selling might have sold and I could now be without one at all for this weekend's gigs[/quote]

That's a real bummer mate. Hope it arrives soon anyway. I'd still be interested to hear your opinions once you get to gig the Schroeder.

Have a good holiday BTW.
Frank

Picked mine up from Andyonbass at the weekend - haven't gigged it yet but first impressions are it's bloody heavy (after my Epifani UL310) but I've bought a sack trolley to move it so no problem and it sounds nice at room level. It's solid and well made, built like the proverbial tank. Full post gig report at the weekend.

Thanks Dave - it's definitely solid and built for the road - unlike me :) Got high hopes for it and I'm looking forward to trying it in different positions - ie; side-facing speakers pointing up / down etc. Should come in handy on those dodgy hollow stages you're talking about elsewhere.