Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs

Chezz55

My 1212L was delivered this morning. I should have had it delivered to home as it was waiting for me when I got into the office. I can't wait to get it home and put it through its paces (quietly). First thing I noticed is the carpety felty covering is kind of blue which looks better than the black on my Ashdown MAGs also it is easier to carry than my MAG115 & 210 cabs, similar in weight, but it seems to look even smaller than I expected.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='59883' date='Sep 13 2007, 02:09 PM']My 1212L was delivered this morning. I should have had it delivered to home as it was waiting for me when I got into the office. I can't wait to get it home and put it through its paces (quietly). First thing I noticed is the carpety felty covering is kind of blue which looks better than the black on my Ashdown MAGs also it is easier to carry than my MAG115 & 210 cabs, similar in weight, but it seems to look even smaller than I expected.[/quote]

Welcome to the club :)
Jorg says they get better as they loosen up ..
Maybe at the next bash we can have a little schroeder corner :huh:

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='59883' date='Sep 13 2007, 02:09 PM']My 1212L was delivered this morning. I should have had it delivered to home as it was waiting for me when I got into the office. I can't wait to get it home and put it through its paces (quietly). First thing I noticed is the carpety felty covering is kind of blue which looks better than the black on my Ashdown MAGs also it is easier to carry than my MAG115 & 210 cabs, similar in weight, but it seems to look even smaller than I expected.[/quote]

Nice one. Just remember it will sound better when the band are playing. You may well like the tone of it but i found on its own my 1210 isnt great. out front in the mix its fantastic.

My first impressions of listening to the 1212L were not good with my crate powerbock, but I guess thats because it can only put out 75W out of a single channel into a 4 Ohm cab and its also designed as a guitar amp. It was all fuzzy and unfocussed. I have gigged with the crate using the 8Ohm bridged output into my Ashdown MAG 210, but I guess I can't use it as a spare anymore with the 1212L. No problem really: the last powerblock on ebay went for more than the new price I paid, so I should be able to get my money back on it.

Trying the 1212L with the MAG300 head it sounded very bright at home, I wasn't sure about how I would need to tweak the eq on the amp for the best sound live so for the gig I decided to use my Highway 1 jazz with John East J-retro to be able to do any eq adjustments on the bass.

At the gig the schroeder sounded absolutely majestic. I had no problem getting the sound I wanted with the MAG's eq flat, just adjusting the J-retro. I mostly used a sound I found that I absolutely loved. It cut right through the mix, but also had warmth without any wooliness. It was almost like I have previously been playing with a duvet over the speakers when I used other cabs.

I kept the tweeter control set to 12 o'clock, however as the knob protrudes a bit I pulled it off to minimise the risk of any damage occuring to the pot in the boot of the car.

As the 1212L is smaller than the MAG210 I was able to fit the MAG head and my bits & bobs bags in the boot of my smallish car where the head would not fit in with the MAG210 cab, so thats an added bonus.

All in all I'm glad to have joined the "Schroeder Club". Jorg does indeed make wonderful cabs.

Now I just need to find the perfect head to go with it as the MAG sounds good, but I'd like something smaller, lighter and more powerful. Maybe a littlemark II?

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='61536' date='Sep 17 2007, 10:24 AM']At the gig the schroeder sounded absolutely majestic. I had no problem getting the sound I wanted with the MAG's eq flat, just adjusting the J-retro. I mostly used a sound I found that I absolutely loved. It cut right through the mix, but also had warmth without any wooliness. It was almost like I have previously been playing with a duvet over the speakers when I used other cabs.[/quote]

That's the thing with them - they sit absolutely right in the mix. When I was selling my 410R, another BCer tried it in a small studio with his band and he was stood right on top of it. He didn't buy the cab because to him and his other bandmates it sounded very middy which is true when you're 3 feet away from the cab. If he had been able to walk 20 - 30 feet away, he would have heard a tight, punchy, deep bassy sound.

They only do studio work so the 410R was not right for him but for gigging bassists, I think Schroeder are the poodles plums.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Jean-Luc
Yes, welcome to the club. I guess your findings are the same as the rest of us. Once at the gig it becomes a different cab.
I also used a MAG 300 as my fist amp with my 1210R. Just running the speaker out form my combo and it did indeed sound like someone had lifted a blanket from my ears. I then got a ABM and to be honest i found that even woollier so got a SA450 instead and that seems to be a perfect match.
I can recommend the LMII or SA450 as a very good partner for the 1212L. I got a SA450 because of the extra mid boost my 1210 had and wanted to tame it but i found it really didnt need it from my MB heads.

Jean-Luc,

As Dave said, your experience sounds similar to the rest of us. When I brought the 1212L home and tried it in the house I thought "What the F*** have I done?"

First gig = blown away and never looked back. Sold my 3 other cabs, The Schroeder does it all for me.

BTW, I always ask people not to take my opinions but to try things for themselves. That still stands but, for what it's worth, I find the LM II and Scroeder 1212L to be a match made in heaven.

Sometimes I use a sansamp programmable BDDI which warms the sound up a tad. I like it, but it's not really essential.

Glad it's worked out so well for you.

Frank

I'm not surprised your powerblock is unable to run the 1212L very well ... It's a 850 or 1000 watt cabinet :)

I'm using the Markbass LMK 500 watt amp into my 4ohm 1212L. I wanted the two channels. It's a superb combination.

I tried it with the EQ flat but my passive P5 doesn't have quite enough natural top so a little boost there sorted that (for the growly punch channel) the other channel I set to full on bass and zero mid and top for the reggae bits of our set.
I then balance the volumes.

When I switch from one to the other the difference is incredible. The bass channel can make the whole room rumble and literally flap my trousers..
It always gets some jaw drops and the search for the 2x18 cab I must have hidden somewhere .. people just cannot believe it :huh: I like that effect..

Sometimes the LMK is a tad too clean so a touch of SVT from my Zoom B2.1u is useful.

The tweeter setting can make a significant difference so have a play with it ...
Has anyone sourced a flatter knob for the tweeter control? I too worry about it getting damaged or pushed into the cab if the cab is accidentally placed on its back.

OG

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='machinehead' post='61574' date='Sep 17 2007, 11:30 AM']BTW, I always ask people not to take my opinions but to try things for themselves. That still stands but, for what it's worth, I find the LM II and Scroeder 1212L to be a match made in heaven.

Frank[/quote]

Oh yeah, i guess i should have made it clear i have never heard a 1212L. I'm just going on what others have said (mainly over on TB) and my experience with my 1210R.

• 7 months later...

I am sorry if I am stirring up an old thread but after last nights fiasco of trying to get my 212 Genz Benz through my narrow hall way through a lounge covered in flat mates crap and up a tiny turning staircase (25 mins of my life gone) I feel one of these may be my answer, just a couple of question though.

1, I hear they are very mid-scooped, I generally prefer more bass and highs without being boxy, can you get this setting using a Markbass head?

2, If I was to go for a Schroeder cab, what difference is there between the 1210L and 1212L?

Thanks...

Edited by Smash

Hmmm - Not mid-scooped at all. I'd say there was a pretty significant low mid bump, which helps you get heard on stage and amongst all the other instruments. Though they don't sound that nice when just playing by yourself (by virtue of that low-mid hump.

As for the difference between the 1210L and 1212L -I couldn't honestly say - I've owned a 1210R and a 1212L. They sounded pretty similar to me, and at gigging levels I reckon you'd be very had pressed to notice the difference.

HTH,

Cheers,

rich

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='195435' date='May 9 2008, 02:12 PM']Hello!

I've never used a smaller Schroeder (I have a 21012L), but from what I gather they're anything but scooped. They have quite a mid-hump, apparently... that helps them sit in the mix.[/quote]

Yeah. More mid pronounced is what i would call them.

Certainly my 1210R is the only cab i have used that annoys the hell out of my guitarist as all he can hear on stage is me :-).

I believe the 1212L is the best all round cab. Closer to the 1210R than the 1210L but not as thick sounding as the 1212R.

Thats just what i have read though.

[quote name='RichBowman' post='195448' date='May 9 2008, 02:31 PM']I'd say there really is very little difference between the two, maybe a touch more smoother sounding with the 12's. But marginal at best.

The weight is a bit of a difference though! :-)

Rich[/quote]

Also there seems to be a few different tweeters used over the years. From what i have read these also can make a big difference to the tone.

As always its best to email Jorg with what you are looking for and he will guide you to the right cab.

[quote name='Smash' post='195455' date='May 9 2008, 02:35 PM']Oh nooooo now I really want one...

Thanks for the replies guys its good to get an idea before if I buy.

Just gonna now check the weight difference....[/quote]

Might be selling mine if you want to join in the queue
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=15331&view=findpost&p=157733"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=157733[/url]

I'll know in a few weeks
OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='195467' date='May 9 2008, 02:52 PM']Might be selling mine if you want to join in the queue
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=15331&view=findpost&p=157733"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=157733[/url]

I'll know in a few weeks
OG[/quote]
Cheers OG would love it but I am sure you will have a buyer in that big ol que I see.

• 1 month later...