Why become a member? ×

Build diary: My seventh ACG

Scoop

[quote name='skelf' post='1222678' date='May 6 2011, 10:27 PM']Believe me Scoop is very much appreciated. One of the plusses of this business is that I have met quiet a few guys who started off as customers but I would now like to think of them as friends, Scoop is firmly in that category.[/quote]

Thanks for that. All you need to do now is hand over the cash and I'll release your family.

• 3 months later...

An update - and one which I'm very pleased with coz it indicates that there's really not that much longer to wait. I think the neck laminates work together well aesthetically and I'm very pleased with the way in which the flame maple fretboard contrasts so nicely with the Australian Blackwood top. All in all, it's shaping up to be another masterpiece from ACG.

There isn't an emoticon for a *happy bunny* so here's a pirate, somewhat pointlessly, instead.
:)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1363952' date='Sep 6 2011, 11:56 AM']Ahem...

Looking good, Scoop. Has Alan been employing austerity measures though? You've only got 2 bolts holding the neck on. :)[/quote]

Ooooh, good bunny find.

I think the two bolts were a tempir... tempirar... short term measure. :)

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1315919614' post='1371821']
That's beautiful mate!
You must be getting pretty excited now...

Eude
[/quote]

Yeah, I have a series of depping gigs coming up over the next few months, all with the same band, so I'm hoping to give this an outing pretty much as soon as I get it.

I've already decided that I'll be using the graft harlot 5 and the beech recurve 4 for most of the gigs but I'm really looking foreward to the opportunity to give this a run out.

[quote name='Scoop' timestamp='1316432788' post='1377865']

Yeah, I have a series of depping gigs coming up over the next few months, all with the same band, so I'm hoping to give this an outing pretty much as soon as I get it.

I've already decided that I'll be using the graft harlot 5 and the beech recurve 4 for most of the gigs but I'm really looking foreward to the opportunity to give this a run out.
[/quote]

Nice one matey.
Sounds like a good plan!
Can't be long now?....

Eude

[quote name='mike_zimmerman' timestamp='1316453678' post='1378217']
Indeed--a little finish, a bit of hardware and electronics, and she'll be ready to go! Too exciting!

(Just got word from Alan that my special heavy, wide-*ss bridge arrive from Hipshot, so mine's not far off either...)
[/quote]

Wide-*ss? What the hell spacing you going for?..

[quote name='mike_zimmerman' timestamp='1316466010' post='1378521']

20mm string spacing at the bridge, with a 50mm nut, same as my Curbows. Rightly or wrongly, that's just the size that feels like a "real" bass to me! :) (in honor of "Talk Like a Pirate Day").
[/quote]

Wow, I've gone for 16.5mm on my new 6er with a 52mm nut - I've found that smaller dimensions make things easier for a stocky little Scotsman like myself! You must be a big lad!

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1316467432' post='1378554']

Wow, I've gone for 16.5mm on my new 6er with a 52mm nut - I've found that smaller dimensions make things easier for a stocky little Scotsman like myself! You must be a big lad!
[/quote]

Not at all--5'8" or so. Just not a lot of finesse in my playing, so I need lots of room to flail about...

But back to Scoop's lovely lady in waiting. Is she going to have gold hardware for a bit of bling? :) (Normally I'm not much on gold hardware, but with these woods it might actually look nice...)

• 1 month later...

Well, as things turn out it's actually my EIGHTH ACG, not seventh as another one snuck in while this was being built...

And... it's finished.

And it's superb. I collected it from Alan at Bassday UK and was overwhelmed by how fabulous it looks. It's playability is superb and it balances perfectly. The pickups marry perfectly with the East U Retro and it sounds phenomenal.

[IMG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6227/6321659081_9c6dbd6fa4_z.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6110/6321659089_bf821bca55_z.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6111/6321659097_80408f87f5_z.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6222/6321659101_c35c2595b9_z.jpg[/IMG]

I'm running out of superlatives. There will be number NINE!!!

[quote name='Scoop' timestamp='1321096409' post='1435311'] Huh. No love for my ACG it seems. Humbly apologise for it not being a Jazz bass... [/quote]

Huge love for your ACG mate :)
It's an absolute peach of a bass!
The gloss finish really makes the blackwood pop, and I love the satin finish on the neck too, nice attention to detail :)

If it sounds half as good as it looks, I can't EVER see you putting it down.

Eude