Why become a member? ×

Build diary: My seventh ACG

Scoop

A build thread for my Aussie Blackwood ACG Recurve single cut fiver which will be the seventh ACG in my stable.

This one will have Blackwood front and back with Sycamore accents and Spanish Cedar core. I decided to go with a bolt-on neck for this singlecut on a whim and it's to be a five laminate wenge/maple/padauk arrangement with an acrylic impregnated Flame Sycamore board.

Pickups will be Alan's own SB at the bridge and an RFB at the neck. The biggest change to the specs of my other ACG full customs will be the pre-amp as I've decided to go with a custom East Retro. My decision is based solely upon the fact that I don't have a full custom build with anything other than the ACG EQ01 and I like a bit of variety.

I spent hardly anytime at all choosing the woods for this one. The billet of Blackwood was one of the first pieces I saw and I fell in love with it. It's visually very similar to Koa but it's figured so beautifully that it knocks pretty much every piece of koa I've ever seen into the proverbial cocked hat.

Piccies...

The billet.

Bookmatched for the top

And the top together with the spanish cedar body and sycamore accents.

[quote name='eude' post='1129753' date='Feb 16 2011, 03:17 PM']Bolt-On Single-Cuts Rock!
And none much more than an ACG.
You want me to post a picture of the joint on mine, just for illustrative purposes?...

Eude[/quote]

Why not. Bumps it back up to the top at the very least. :)

[quote name='Scoop' post='1129767' date='Feb 16 2011, 03:25 PM']Why not. Bumps it back up to the top at the very least. :)[/quote]

Will sort you out soon.
Been looking for an excuse to take some more photos :)
Might have to wait till I'm home during daylight hours though...

Eude

• 1 month later...

Alan has sent me some new photos to drool over and being the lovely chap I am I thought you could drool over them too. :)

[url="http://img146.imageshack.us/i/recurvesc04.jpg/"][/url]

[url="http://img859.imageshack.us/i/recurvesc05.jpg/"][/url]

and finally, a pic of the fretboard (far right) which I've had for ages but have never posted up.

[url="http://img33.imageshack.us/i/recurvescboardfarright.jpg/"][/url]

• 1 month later...

Another update showing the neck laminates of padouk, sycamore and wenge. Looks like a strip of deck chair material :)

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/blackwoodandneck.jpg/"][/url]

Edited by Scoop

[quote name='eude' post='1129753' date='Feb 16 2011, 04:17 PM']You want me to post a picture of the joint on mine, just for illustrative purposes?...[/quote]
Seeing as Eude failed miserably on this count ( :) ), allow me to fill in with an ACG singlecut bolt-on neck joint:

Yum yum.

[quote name='Scoop' post='1222094' date='May 6 2011, 11:38 AM']Another update showing the neck laminates of padouk, sycamore and wenge. Looks like a strip of deck chair material :)

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/blackwoodandneck.jpg/"][/url][/quote]

Looking good Dave :)

Just a quick warning, when I win the lottery, I have a further 6 builds planned on "my list", so that'll take me up to 8 ACGs - Ha!
Is there a trophy or crown, sceptre and cape that comes with your current title?... :lol:

Eude

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1222100' date='May 6 2011, 11:47 AM']Seeing as Eude failed miserably on this count ( :) ), allow me to fill in with an ACG singlecut bolt-on neck joint:

Yum yum.[/quote]

Whoops...
I wanted to take a new photo for it, but never got round to it.
I am taking delivery of a new (to me at least) DSLR today however, so I might just get round to it after all...

Eude

You forget, with the Tefano which arrived after I began this thread that makes eight anyway. The crown sceptre and orb stays with the incumbant in the event of a tie. Four out of ten, must try harder.

And anyway, who says I'm going to stop at eight?

Muhahahahahaha! :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1222105' date='May 6 2011, 11:51 AM']Bwahaaa... there goes your weekend! :)[/quote]

I'd love nothing better than to spend the weekend with new toys, but I'm out for dinner, and beers of course, tonight, then some friends are down from Edinburgh tomorrow, staying Saturday and going to see Skindred in the evening, then parceling up the wife for a week away with work in Sweden on Sunday!
Fiddling with the new toy might have to wait till next week... :)

Eude

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1222109' date='May 6 2011, 11:56 AM']Fixed, for the perfect solution.[/quote]

No no, the camera stays with me at home.
I'm flying solo next week, which is well timed, as I have a wee secret web project I need to get done ASAP!
"The wife" will be taking my new Olympus TOUGH camera with her, as they canoeing for the week, that'll be perfect - I couldn't even break it when I took it snowboarding and landed on it several times, cracking wee camera!
So I get my new toy all to myself :)

Eude

[quote name='Scoop' post='1222106' date='May 6 2011, 11:53 AM']You forget, with the Tefano which arrived after I began this thread that makes eight anyway. The crown sceptre and orb stays with the incumbant in the event of a tie. Four out of ten, must try harder.

And anyway, who says I'm going to stop at eight?

Muhahahahahaha! :)[/quote]

Damn you Scoop! :D
The flaw in my plan is the fact that I actually have to win the lottery, something which is highly unlikely...

How you getting on with the Tefano anyway?
If it needs a rest, or a holiday, I can give you my address :lol:

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1222117' date='May 6 2011, 12:02 PM']Aaaaaahhhhh, right. You're not going to Sweden. I am the king of misinterpreting the written word. :)[/quote]

That's right, I'm stuck in blighty on my lonesome. Not all bad though, as nice as canoeing around Sweden sounds, it's with her work and they're camping out over night too, for a week!
My bro is in Sweden at the moment and he says it's not exactly good camping weather this time of year...

Eude

[quote name='henry norton' post='1222528' date='May 6 2011, 07:53 PM']Aww Man, I wish I had a customer like you - seven basses from the same custom builder??? I wish....[/quote]

It's 8 I'm afraid, Henry. I bought another one of Alan's inventory basses since I created this thread.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1222528' date='May 6 2011, 07:53 PM']Aww Man, I wish I had a customer like you - seven basses from the same custom builder??? I wish....[/quote]

Believe me Scoop is very much appreciated. One of the plusses of this business is that I have met quiet a few guys who started off as customers but I would now like to think of them as friends, Scoop is firmly in that category.