Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Range of amps

Spoombung

A friend of mine has the little Studio 110, and it sounds ridiculously good for its size and weight, and surprisingly loud for 75W and 1x10" . She also has a Trace 715x, but uses the Line 6 on small and acoustic gigs, partly because of its size, but also because it just sounds so good. She has a Dean Jeff Berlin sig. (passive) bass, so I can't speak for how it would handle active basses and percussive styles of playing, but the warmth and old-school solidity of the sound is unreal for such a tiny thing.

I have the studio 110 and rate it. Its not as quiet as 75w suggests but I do gig it sitting on the bands (v.good) sub in the venue back corner. D.i out to the mixer. Master vol is on full though and it gets hot. I plan to get a small power amp and use the 110 as a pre into into a larger cab soon in case I'm burning it out. The grind model does nothing for me and synth model for home messing only but the other models are very useable IMO. The bigger speaker versions just don't seem to be as respected as this little one.

[quote name='Wally' post='1130091' date='Feb 16 2011, 07:23 PM']I have the studio 110 and rate it. Its not as quiet as 75w suggests but I do gig it sitting on the bands (v.good) sub in the venue back corner. D.i out to the mixer. Master vol is on full though and it gets hot. I plan to get a small power amp and use the 110 as a pre into into a larger cab soon in case I'm burning it out. The grind model does nothing for me and synth model for home messing only but the other models are very useable IMO. The bigger speaker versions just don't seem to be as respected as this little one.[/quote]

do you use the preamp out for recording? How do you find it noise-wise/compressor EQ etc?

Have never recorded with it so can't say I'm afraid but its called 110 studio I believe because thats a market it intended to cover. The pre amp out I've yet to use but the d.i is very good. It is the same as on their pod stuff. Its worth noting that it is set to simulate a miked cab mind.

The amp models E.Q's are set flat on a preset default sound rather than a genuine flat sound and then the E.Q's mimic the original amp its modeled on i.e treble on the clean (eden) model react's different to the treble on the rock (ampeg) model. I couldn't tell you though if these actually sounded like the amp they are modeled on. You can reset these defaults with your own EQ choice but can store only one new preset within a model at a time.

I use a different compressor (trace smx dual) so don't know the amps one well but it is supposed to be decent.

I tried line 6 whilst on my new rig quest over a year ago, and felt that whilst the preset sounds where good, they where line 6 sounds and not the basses, if that makes sense

I know a few guitar players though, you love the presets, quite easy for covers gigs, just note the no. down that suits the song

[quote name='Wally' post='1130368' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:33 PM']Have never recorded with it so can't say I'm afraid but its called 110 studio I believe because thats a market it intended to cover. The pre amp out I've yet to use but the d.i is very good. It is the same as on their pod stuff. Its worth noting that it is set to simulate a miked cab mind.

The amp models E.Q's are set flat on a preset default sound rather than a genuine flat sound and then the E.Q's mimic the original amp its modeled on i.e treble on the clean (eden) model react's different to the treble on the rock (ampeg) model. I couldn't tell you though if these actually sounded like the amp they are modeled on. You can reset these defaults with your own EQ choice but can store only one new preset within a model at a time.

I use a different compressor (trace smx dual) so don't know the amps one well but it is supposed to be decent.[/quote]

many thanks for the info. Have you tried plugging in an MP3 player and playing along? Does the input signal ru through the EQ?

I've had an HD750 for nearly a year now. Its not missed a beat and sounds great. Tend to use the Ampeg and Eden models depending on the gig. Sometimes use a bit of onboard compression, chorus and octaver. Built in tuner spot on as well. Have to say I'm quite impressed in terms of bang for buck. Only downside is its not a digital skinny minnie - but the other side of that is it has plenty grunt.

I used to record an album: [url="http://russtippins.com/album.html"]http://russtippins.com/album.html[/url]

Used the Ampeg "Rock" model with varying eq and drive levels depending on the song. Recorded DI and Mic and was pleased with the results.

Will be moving it on shortly (possible endorsement deal, not because I don't like it).

[quote name='Johnston' post='1132293' date='Feb 18 2011, 02:51 PM']This is going to sound daft.

But If I wanted to record on my PC could I take a DI from the line 6 through the amp modeller into the usb of the computer??[/quote]

Not without a conversion cable or box of some description.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1132408' date='Feb 18 2011, 04:20 PM']Something like
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Microphone-Mic-Link-Cable-Adapter-XLR-Female-3M-/180626622004?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0e2f8634"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Microphone-Mic-L...=item2a0e2f8634[/url] ???[/quote]

Yep that's the sort of thing. :)

[quote name='lojo' post='1130552' date='Feb 17 2011, 07:47 AM']I tried line 6 whilst on my new rig quest over a year ago, and felt that whilst the preset sounds where good, they where line 6 sounds and not the basses, if that makes sense

I know a few guitar players though, you love the presets, quite easy for covers gigs, just note the no. down that suits the song[/quote]

This is what I've found to be true of the modellers that I've tried - whatever instrument you put in is homogenised and comes out sounding like the model. That's not necessarily a problem, and they seem to be much more acceptable for bass than guitar (they sound pretty horrid for guitar to me, due to the high frequency hash - not an issue for bass).

Edited by Ancient Mariner

Ive only ever tried the 15 inch 300w combo. I dont recall the model. It ws a bit beaten up and a studio amp, but i just couldnt get a sound out of it close to what i wanted. Too much stuff for me to get my head round particularly quickly.

Ive always felt line 6 should have a straight forward amp that just does clean that suits their effects boards and pedals. Probably more from a sales perspective.

I understand its useful having a lot of stuff on board, but i guess i have a fear that theres too much likely can go wrong. Of course im sure this only happens as much as any other amp out there, I'm not knocking line 6 as my experience isnt huge.

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

I bought a Gallien Krueger Backline 210 last year when I replaced my full stack as I wanted something smaller to lug around (besides with a 350w head + 115 & 410 cabs - I was never turning it above 4, even for the loudest gigs we played).

I wanted something that could sound good in the house at low levels, at practice & also capable of holding it's own for most gigs (but with the option to add an extra cab when I really needed it).

I looked at the Line6 LoDowns & tried a few but they sounded like hyperactive- punchy boxes (in my humble opinion) & didn't have the power for my needs - On the +side I did like the kickback option & the effects.

Thats why I settled on the GK. It has the kickback & I managed to track down a Line6 Bass Floor Pod for the few effects / wah etc I occasionally use)

The Line 6 was good price wise though & I have seen them in action at small 'intimate' gigs.

I frequently gig a Line 6 Lowdown LD150 with my band and it sounds pretty good. Its starting to lack in power a little as i now have it EQ'd better and its a tad quieter, but the sound is rather impressive. I think the LD175/300/400 would be damn good gigging amps, but the 150 lacks on power for my needs. Got a Warwick ProFet 5.1 now though, much more power, just have to find some money for a cab.

Liam

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='1133350' date='Feb 19 2011, 01:26 PM']Ive only ever tried the 15 inch 300w combo. I dont recall the model. It ws a bit beaten up and a studio amp, but i just couldnt get a sound out of it close to what i wanted. Too much stuff for me to get my head round particularly quickly.

Ive always felt line 6 should have a straight forward amp that just does clean that suits their effects boards and pedals. Probably more from a sales perspective.

I understand its useful having a lot of stuff on board, but i guess i have a fear that theres too much likely can go wrong. Of course im sure this only happens as much as any other amp out there, I'm not knocking line 6 as my experience isnt huge.[/quote]

I've actually sent in a head unit design to Line 6 Product Dev. with my ideas for a straight forward head unit...