Why become a member? ×

Boss TU-3 Tuner keeps Breaking Down!

thebrig

I've had my Boss TU-3 Tuner for a year now, and has been fine until a couple of months ago.

In rehearsals one night, it just would not switch on, although when you put the jack in, it lights up for a second or two.
But it will not switch on when you press the switch.

I took it back to Digital Village in Barnet, and they sent it back to Roland, within a few days it was sent back to the shop,
because the engineer could find nothing wrong with it.

The shop tested it again, and sent it straight back to Roland because it still was not working.
Roland then called the shop to say there was nothing wrong with it, the shop called me, and I asked the engineer to call me personally.

He did and told me that it does not have fault and was returning it to the shop.

When I collected it, we tried it out in the shop, and sure enough, it WAS working, so I took it away with me.

This was a couple of weeks ago, and has been OK in the couple of rehearsals we did.

But then, disaster!

Plugged in at the start of our gig on Saturday, same problem!
And like an idiot, I had no back-up, so had to quickly plug in to the guitarist's tuner, luckily, my bass stays in tune very well so got through gig OK.

Obviously, it's now going back again.

[b]My questions are:[/b]

[i]Anyone else had the same problems with the Boss TU-3 Tuner?

Should I now insist that they replace it? as it certainly is not reliable.

Is a cheaper tuner just as accurate?

And if I have to bite the bullet and get another brand, what would you wise people recommend?
[/i]

[quote name='thebrig' post='1128876' date='Feb 15 2011, 08:41 PM']Is a cheaper tuner just as accurate?[/quote]

How cheap is a cheap tuner? i have the korg pitchblack and as a 'back up' i have one of those cheap behringer ones. its total crap really and if the korg broke i would use the guitarists polytune not the behringer, it tunes ok, its just slow if you wanted to do it inbetween songs. i'll swap you it for 4 cans of guinness :)

Edited by soysuperbien

did you buy it new? surely they gotta give you a replacement if you not happy?

[url="http://www.roland.co.uk/articles/default.aspx?c=187"]http://www.roland.co.uk/articles/default.aspx?c=187[/url]

that link says they'll change or fix it, but they need to be able to see the problem at there factory, im thinking they cant get the problem to happen. maybe just say to them that under guarantee you want it replaced?

my tu3 and 2 never had a problem and they are built like tanks, i jump around on stage and landed on mine and it took it fine, i just can't see some of the others taking the abuse that the boss can.

and i second the behringer utter crap!

andy

Are you sure it's not your leads or power supply?

Thinking about an engineers workstation they'll have everything ship shape and Bristol if you get me.

I use a Korg PB and have had no problems with it. I also use a range of boss problems and have NEVER had one fail. My BF-2 is from 1982 and after a gig I was putting my stuff in the car, (this was before I had a pedal board) only to forget the BF-2. It was left in the car park all night and it rained. I dried it off and it worked fine...