Why become a member? ×

Loud Bangs and Rumbles on a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0

thebrig

I've had my [b]Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 12T Cab[/b], plus [b]Genz Benz 2x10 matching cab[/b], for just under a year,
and I'm very pleased with it, it's lightweight and great sounding.

But over the last couple of months I've noticed loud bangs and some rumbles every 5 or 10 minutes or so.
Today, I spent some time with various basses plugged in, to see whether it was my regular bass that was causing the problem.

I use a [b]Ibanez SR500[/b] for rehearsals and gigging, which is when it comes to my attention, because I use a small
Roland cube at home with no problems at all

[b][i]Here's what I found[/i][/b]:

[b]Ibanez SR500[/b] - Regular banging and rumbles.
[b]Warwick Corvette Ash[/b] - Regular banging and rumbles, although not quite so bad.
[b]Warwick Corvette Bubinga[/b] - No problems at all.
[b]Home-made Jazz Fretless[/b] - One very loud bang, so unplugged immediately.

The three basses that caused problems are all ACTIVE.
The [b]Warwick Corvette Bubinga[/b] is PASSIVE.

I'm no engineer, but it seems that the [b]Genz Benz[/b] is struggling with the active basses, and I'm going to try my [b]Musicman Sterling[/b] (ACTIVE) tomorrow,and if the bangs and rumbles are there too, then obviously, the amp doesn't like active basses.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with the [b]Genz Benz[/b], or any other amp for that matter, and what is the solution?

Any help would be much appreciated.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1128852' date='Feb 15 2011, 08:23 PM']Try swapping the valve out for something else.

G.[/quote]
Thanks for the suggestion, but I did that before the gig Saturday, but unfortunately it made no difference.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1128925' date='Feb 15 2011, 09:19 PM']i use a genz-benz shuttle 12.0 with my mm sterling piezo (extremely active).

no problem except a crackly volume pot.

check your leads/connections first, then take it to the shop.

edit: i presume you have the switch set to -12db on the preamp?[/quote]
I've tried every lead and cable I have, and they are all good quality.

How do I set the switch to -12db on the preamp?

And where is the switch?

I apologise in advance if I am confirming what my avatar pic suggests!

But I've just had a good look at the amp, and can't see a switch anywhere,
and there is no mention of it in the manual.

Cheers

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1128998' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:15 PM']I have no noises other than the terrible sounds I usually create unaided :)
I don't think the 6.0 has a db switch, Where are the preamp volume and gain knobs set to?[/quote]
That's what I want to know? I've just looked, and I'm going for another look in a minute,
but I can'd find it.

Gain around 12 o'clock
Volume 3 o'clock

But would that have a bearing on the problem?
If it did, surely there should be a warning about it.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' post='1128985' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:06 PM']I've tried every lead and cable I have, and they are all good quality.

How do I set the switch to -12db on the preamp?

And where is the switch?

I apologise in advance if I am confirming what my avatar pic suggests!

But I've just had a good look at the amp, and can't see a switch anywhere,
and there is no mention of it in the manual.

Cheers[/quote]
my 12.0 has an active/passive switch in front of the preamp, marked as low/high gain, (mine is set to low for active basses) is that not the case for the 6.0 ?,

my mm sterling piezo puts out a big signal, so i always keep it on low. it is an extremely well-behaved amp, so i'm not sure about your specific problem.

probably best to take it back to the dealer ?

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1129014' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:26 PM']my 12.0 has an active/passive switch in front of the preamp, marked as low/high gain, (mine is set to low for active basses) is that not the case for the 6.0 ?,

my mm sterling piezo puts out a big signal, so i always keep it on low. it is an extremely well-behaved amp, so i'm not sure about your specific problem.

probably best to take t back to the dealer ?[/quote]
No, the 6.0 has not got this switch.

Oh well, back to the shop, it's only a two hour round trip (M25 then A12), two of my favourite roads!

Then I will probably have to do the same in a week or two's time to pick it up.

The £50 I saved by buying it from this dealer, will all be lost in fuel costs.

Maybe in hindsight, it's probably better to buy locally, where you can just pop in and out regularly.

Maybe another good topic in the making!

[quote name='thebrig' post='1129025' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:34 PM']No, the 6.0 has not got this switch.

Oh well, back to the shop, it's only a two hour round trip (M25 then A12), two of my favourite roads!

Maybe in hindsight, it's probably better to buy locally, where you can just pop in and out regularly.

Maybe another good topic in the making![/quote]
i hope you don't lose faith in the brand. i'm sure that if GB heard of your problem, they would be happy to compensate you for the problem in whatever way they could.

it sounds like you have been very unlucky.

I use Stingrays and an active Jazz most the time both pots are at 12 o'clock. I have heard good things about GB support so I would make some calls first and see if it can all be done by post (at there expense) what warranty do we get with them? Mind you it would still count under the goods fit for purpose thing at that age although I would put the original valve back in and not mention it. Shame though no one likes a bad one (I had gAshdown trouble before) let's hope it all comes good :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1129041' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:48 PM']i hope you don't lose faith in the brand. i'm sure that if GB heard of your problem, they would be happy to compensate you for the problem in whatever way they could.

it sounds like you have been very unlucky.[/quote]
I won't lose faith, I accept you can be unlucky sometimes, and have been singing the praises of GB,
to all my bass pals!

I suppose every now and then, you will find a Bentley owner who's had a few problems!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1129067' date='Feb 15 2011, 11:12 PM']I use Stingrays and an active Jazz most the time both pots are at 12 o'clock. I have heard good things about GB support so I would make some calls first and see if it can all be done by post (at there expense) what warranty do we get with them? Mind you it would still count under the goods fit for purpose thing at that age although I would put the original valve back in and not mention it. Shame though no one likes a bad one (I had gAshdown trouble before) let's hope it all comes good :)[/quote]
I changed the valve because the tech in the shop advised me, that it is probably the best thing to try first, so as I had a brand new JJ Electronic spare already, I thought I would give it a go. I still have the original Ruby, so I can easily put it back in.

Reading on the Talkbass site, they do say that the Ruby is not the best of quality, so I thought it could be the problem, obviously not.

Strangely, I got rid of my Ashdown rig, because I needed to go down the lightweight route due to back problems, I never had any problems with it whatsoever.

Mind you, I really am really happy with the GB, it's lightweight, but it definitely delivers the goods! IMO

And I hope this is something that can be sorted easily.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1129025' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:34 PM']No, the 6.0 has not got this switch.

Maybe another good topic in the making![/quote]

Just made the same trip to Colchester with my shuttle 6.

Not the same problem as yours, mine is a crackling master volume pot. Been there from new, I think it's a fairly common issue with these amps. Most of the time it's not too bad but on occassions it really can make me, band mates and audience jump.

Enjoy the trip and just walk straight to the counter without looking at the displays, if you ignore my advice it could be a very costly trip. Absolutely don't look at the Overwater Jazz :)

[quote name='gary mac' post='1129321' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:20 AM']Not the same problem as yours, mine is a crackling master volume pot. Been there from new, I think it's a fairly common issue with these amps. Most of the time it's not too bad but on occassions it really can make me, band mates and audience jump.

Enjoy the trip and just walk straight to the counter without looking at the displays, if you ignore my advice it could be a very costly trip. Absolutely don't look at the Overwater Jazz :)[/quote]
No new bass, but I did buy a Line6 wireless system which the guys in there recommended.
It's great! I've been walking all around the house playing to see if I lose the signal, but it works perfectly!

If you are reading this guys, the amp is still behaving itself!
I've had my regular bass plugged in for around three hours, with no problems so far.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1129963' date='Feb 16 2011, 05:53 PM']If you are reading this guys, the amp is still behaving itself!
I've had my regular bass plugged in for around three hours, with no problems so far.[/quote]
glad to hear it. result ! :)

like w.o.t. asked, any idea what the problem was, out of interest ?

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1129986' date='Feb 16 2011, 06:06 PM']glad to hear it. result ! :)

like w.o.t. asked, any idea what the problem was, out of interest ?[/quote]
Not really.

The only thing that might have had a bearing, is that I swapped out the original valve for a new one on Saturday, but still the problem existed.

So I put back the original before taking the amp back to the shop, and it worked fine in the shop, and is still fine now.

Maybe there was a tiny speck of dirt in the valve sockets, and it's now been dislodged.

Just an uneducated guess though!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1129975' date='Feb 16 2011, 05:57 PM']Did they do a repair?[/quote]
Unfortunately or fortunately, it was fine in the shop, so nothing to repair.

And it's still fine now!

So, it's fingers crossed from now on, and hope it stays that way.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1130008' date='Feb 16 2011, 06:18 PM']Not really.

The only thing that might have had a bearing, is that I swapped out the original valve for a new one on Saturday, but still the problem existed.

So I put back the original before taking the amp back to the shop, and it worked fine in the shop, and is still fine now.

Maybe there was a tiny speck of dirt in the valve sockets, and it's now been dislodged.

Just an uneducated guess though![/quote]
that's interesting...

my 12.0 has two channels. the tube channel seems way louder than the f.e.t. channel.

i will contact GB before i attempt anything to resolve this. so thanks !

Just a quick word of caution although I doubt it's the problem in this case , The cheap speakon to speakon lead I got with mine melted at the first gig! A proper one from OBBM soon sorted it a thankfully the band I was playing with used speakons for the PA so I had a 20 metre speaker lead for 2" but it saved the day. The cheap one was a copy speakon and the cable far too thin for 600watts and the presumably already slightly loose connection just got warmer until letting go altogether. Give yours a good wiggle and that goes for all Shuttle owners :)