Why become a member? ×

John East (Bass Preamps) and Customer Service

xilddx

I have just bought another pre from John, and I simply can't say enough about the quality and design of his products, and his incredible customer service.

He gives Basschat members 10% discount, although I refused it this second time as I consider it an introductory offer, his prices are perfectly fine anyway. His communication, attention to the customer's needs and the advice he gives are testament to the very best intention to provide exceptional customer service and support and products. It seems completely natural to him. His aftersales support is ace too.

His preamps are built to the highest standards and sound fantastic. I can't wait to get my new J-Retro 01 into my new Jazz Bass!

We really need people like John running businesses in the UK.

[url="http://www.east-uk.com/"]http://www.east-uk.com/[/url]

EDIT: I just found this recent thread which proves my point :) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118830"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118830[/url]

Edited by silddx

You know I'm into my passive basses Nige, but the only bass i've had in the past where I thought the preamp was genuinely a worthwhile addition had an 18v 2band East Preamp. If I went down the active route again, I'd be using another 2band East!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1128415' date='Feb 15 2011, 02:59 PM']You know I'm into my passive basses Nige, but the only bass i've had in the past where I thought the preamp was genuinely a worthwhile addition had an 18v 2band East Preamp. If I went down the active route again, I'd be using another 2band East!

Si[/quote]

And you sound great for it mate! I am so used to actives that passives sound thin to me.

I think this J-Retro will turn my new Jazz into a bloody monster!

I also can't speak highly enough of John or his products.

The P Retro in my Overwater developed a fault 2 days before Xmas so I rang John expecting to leave a message for after the Xmas period. John answered the phone and after discussing the issue and asking when my next gig was, invited me up to East Towers on the morning of my gig 29th Jan when he assured me he would repair or replace the P Retro while I waited.

The fault turned out to be a loose wire but the welcome and service I got from John were above and beyond....

Both my Overwaters have got East Pre amps and it's only a matter of time before I'm shopping with John again.

Take a bow Mr East!!

I emailed John with a (probably inane) enquiry a few months ago. He was travelling in the US at the time but got back to me with a very helpful answer within hours. Truly oustanding customer service and great products

A big +1 to everything above. I've used John's pre-amps in Stingrays, Jazzes and most recently, and I think most impressively (given how many other manufacturers have tried to produce active P-Bass circuits and have failed miserable), in Precisions. John's circuits are second to none and his customer service and passion for what he does is amazing.

C

[quote name='Marvin' post='1128474' date='Feb 15 2011, 03:46 PM']Well said.

It's all very unbasschat like as well. Pull yourself together Nigel. :)[/quote]

Yeah, they really are crap, lets be honest :)

In truth they've converted me from an all passive guy for - well, forever since I've been playing bass (bar an unsatisfactory dalliance with Audere pre's). I have an ACG EQ02, designed and made by John, in a Fender Am Std Jazz 5 and I love the thing to bits - it really has given me the tone I've heard in my head for years, and the flexibility to make one bass far more usable than it already was. Because it's not a standard boost/cut pre, I think of it more in terms of changing the basis of your passive sound. Amazingly flexible pre's, IMO.

Excuse the slight derail - just wanted to share my joy of John East, via ACG, with you all. Ohhhhh, group hug anyone?

[quote name='obbm' post='1128489' date='Feb 15 2011, 03:56 PM']For those interested here are a couple of things Johns made earlier.

[/quote]
Mmm, You wouldn't get one of those in a Jazz Bass. Are they the outboard preamps he made in the '60s? He makes them a LOT smaller these days, the advance of technology I suppose. Like the original Apollo spacecraft could actually be the size of a wristwatch now, but you wouldn't be able to get the people inside it you see.

[quote name='funkygreega' post='1128512' date='Feb 15 2011, 04:15 PM']Maybe those with John East pre-amps can help. I want to fit an East preamp into my Fender Marcus but I am not sure which one will work well. I think the factory preamp sounds a bit bland and I was looking for something with a bit more thud and crisp. Excuse my choice of words....[/quote]
He makes one specifically for the Marcus. Have a look on the Products section of his site. Link in the OP, mate.

[quote name='funkygreega' post='1128512' date='Feb 15 2011, 04:15 PM']Maybe those with John East pre-amps can help. I want to fit an East preamp into my Fender Marcus but I am not sure which one will work well. I think the factory preamp sounds a bit bland and I was looking for something with a bit more thud and crisp. Excuse my choice of words....[/quote]

They do a Marcus Retro 01

I am not missing the chance to give John the praise he deserves. I fitted a Marcus Retro into my Fender MM Jazz and it is a revelation. Fantastic product. But beyond that I had one or two issues, not John's fault and he was patient with me (I am a moron when it comes to electronics) and sorted things out without fuss. True gentleman.

Funkygreega - dont hesitate to fit the Marcus Retro into your Fender MM. I didn't have the kind of horrendous reaction that some have to the stock pre but soon as you get access to the tonal and sonic options provided by the Retro you will think you have a new boutique bass.