Why become a member? ×

New to Heads and Cabs

BruceBass3901

Hello there guys :)

I'm looking to move into the world of a seperate head and cab, and I would appreciate a little input.

I'm currently running a homemade 5 string Jazz bass with MM Stingray pickups and preamp and an Ibanez SR305 thorugh an ever increasing pedalbaord into an Ashdown EB180-15 Combo amp.

The Ashdown is fine for practicing at home when I am not competeing with a frantic drummer and 2 or occasionally 3 guitarists. I love the sound of the Ashdown (the warmth and calrity), so I'm thinking maybe something in one of their higher ranges would be a good place to look.

As far as cabinets go, I was considering a 4 x 10 but was unsure of where would be a good starting point.

My main music shop is the Nevada Music warehouse in Portsmouth, and they have a pretty wide range of amps available such as Ashdowns, Orange, Trace Elliot, some Markbass, some Genz Benz and some Eden stuff. I really don't know where to start :lol:

Price wise, I'm probabaly looking at roughly £1000 for a head and a cab.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thank you :)

Edited by BruceBass3901

FWIW I had a top of the range Ashdown rig then at a jam one night I was using a 180 combo like yours and it sounded better! They might still be for you but don't expect to be blown away, Try all the amps they have in stock and try and go on a weekday rather than when the shop is busy a day off work or whatever is worth it if your parting with a £1000 and possibly getting an amp you will be using for a long time.

Excellent that you've got a home made bass you like.

I have a slightly left-field suggestion, which comes from my experience.
My experience with amps is (essentially) this, and I include it so that you can see where I'm coming from...

No amp.. for 2 years!
80w 1x12 combo
Trace 1110 150w 4x10 combo (heavy)
Trace H122SMX 2x10 combo + 1048h 4x10 extension cab
The H122SMX wouldn't fit in my car's boot, so I made an amp sleeve and turned the combo into a head/cab.
Added a 1153 1x15.
Bought an Ampeg SVP Pro pre-amp for OD.
[b]Bought a second-hand QSC power amp[/b]
Decided to get A Peavey pre-amp (Bassmax) I've never used it. Really must sell it.

Around this point, I'd started using a small multi-track mixing desk (4+4 channels) for practising using headphones. It had enough gain to amplify everything I have enough to make the PEAK light illuminate.

LIGHTBULB MOMENT

Why not use the mixer into the power amp?

BINGO.

So- Bass>>> Mixer>>> Poweramp>>> 2x10, 1x15, 4x10 or any pair thereof.
Gives 700w into 8ohms (bridged mono) or 1200w into 4ohms

Cost?
£80 for the mixer (!)
£200 for the power amp second-hand
£100 for the 1153 (1x15) second-hand
the other two cabs I already had, but you'd get a 2x10 for about £150, and a 4x10 for about £250 max.

Or £780 for 700-1200wrms, 4+ input channels, each with gain, EQ, level matching etc. and 3 cabs...

Whilst I firmly believe that basses should be loved and cased, I can't see thepoint in going mad over trying to keep amps/cabs pristine. They're going to get bashed, no matter what. Sure, keep the electronics dry and safe, but still buy second-hand.
If you do go this way, try to get a quality PA power amp - Crown, Crest, QSC, Peavey, Mackie... that sort of thing - they're well made, durable, and will shut down rather than catch fire/melt your gear.

Everyone that's used my set-up has been utterly shocked at the power, clarity and flexibility that my rig has offered.
Naturally, you can add your own choice of cabinets to suit. They'll actually be the greatest determining factor in your sound (after you, your strings, and the bass...) as the pre-amp/mixer and power amps will all aspire to be relatively neutral, unlike many bass heads which are tailored/voiced to give a brand sound.

Weird, but thats my 1.98pence worth...

You`ve a nice budget, so its worth taking the time to get the right gear. From the brands stated:

Markbass - good sound, reeally works in the mix, and very easy to cart around (which can really make adifference)
Orange - very good at old-school rock sounds. Terror and SP cabs again are easy to cart about. Other ranges are very heavy.
Trace Elliot - a signature sound, some love it, some don`t, but quality gear. Can be a bit on the heavy side.
Eden & Genz Benz - don`t know much about either, though from what I`ve read on here, both seem to be "higher end" brands.
Ashdown - you already know you like the Ashdown signaure sound, working through their range should be fun. More and more pros seem to be using Ashdown.

As an addition, TC Electronics make good gear, I`m very pleased with my Classic 450, and many other Basschatters rate the brand it seems.

Lastly, once you`ve established what you want, see if its already for sale on here, or put a post in the items wanted section.