Why become a member? ×

Good stand for jazz bass!

Dudgeman

Might be a bit of an odd request but as I recently bought and gig a Jazz Deluxe I am looking for a stand that works with the offset of the bottom of the body and that won't sit on the jack lead...I use a Ric as well and so could possibly go for a dual hang system? Anyone got any recomendations? It seems that a lot of stands don't take into account of the lead coming out of the bottom of the body and the supports nearly always foul on them...
Thanks

[quote name='squire5' post='1126974' date='Feb 14 2011, 01:08 PM']The Ultimate GS-100.It supports the instrument by hanging it from the headstock.Much like the Hercules,but cheaper.I got mine for £15 from Argos.[/quote]

You forgot to mention 'better'.
I've been using the Ultimate stands for years. I really don't like the Hercules ones.

Not addressing your stand question... but I wanted to comment on your leaving a bass with a lead attached to it on a stand.

That's something I avoid. Your bass may be on teh stand, but if someone trips or pulls that cable by mistake... you can still end up with a sad situation. A protruding jack is always a weak spot wherever it is, but especially close to the ground.

And if the bass is active...yet another reason to unplug it.

Now, with the cable unplugged... a lot of stands will do the job :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1127586' date='Feb 14 2011, 08:36 PM']Everyone here seems to dislike the Hercules ones (from past threads) but mine has served me just fine with my Jazz.[/quote]

I love em. Rock solid, especially the one with the padded legs rather than the pull down rest.

Thanks everyone...
I went on the net had a good look round at the two. I found a Hercules with a three guitar capacity which will really help me out with one of the bands I play with, as I use the Jazz, Ric and a K5 Fieldy 5 string..so money down to GAK 4.30 pm yesterday..arrived 10.30 this morning. I don't like buying blind but I have to say it is solid and seems very well built...why I have struggled with other stands in the past is beyond me...Massive big up to GAK for their turn around time.
Now lets see how it holds up on the gigging circuit...from initial impressions I would say that it looks tough and should do really well.........
Thanks again for all your advice........brilliant as always

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1127708' date='Feb 14 2011, 09:59 PM']I love em. Rock solid, especially the one with the padded legs rather than the pull down rest.[/quote]
Yup i have that one as well, and if i ever find the money to own a second bass, i shall buy another :) Sturdiest stand i have ever used, and grabber can comfortably hold a 6 string bass too :)

My Stagg stand has been good to me since i recieved it a year ago.
[url="http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?um=1&hl=en&lr=&biw=1069&bih=780&q=stagg+guitar+stand&ie=UTF-8&cid=17169706464297082127&ei=5SlbTbipGsLAhAfxuYS1DQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAQ#"]Stag stands[/url]

It is dirt cheap and gets good recomendations. The stand has a clip at the top to stop the bass being knocked onto the floor.
[attachment=72334:unnamed.jpg]

Edited by daz

Here's mine on the Ultimate GS-100.The only qualm I have with this stand is that it sometimes tends to 'grip' the bass too tightly,resulting in the entire stand tilting forward when removing the bass.I've often needed to use 2 hands,one to hold the stand,and the other to grab the bass.I notice that the Hercules probably doesn't have this problem.[attachment=72669:Ultimate_stand.jpg]

PS Is there a way to make this pic sit the right way up??

With two dogs roaming around the house, I keep the Jazz in the case when not in use. So it's not on the stand 24-7 like some basses are. But if i were to keep it on the stand, i'd have no problem with the one I use. A lot better than when i was younger, and leaned it up against the amp. No problem with the Hercules leaning forward or tipping. It really does very well with one handed removing or placing on also. If the bass is plugged in, and strap attached, no problem either. Functional.

Edited by famstd

[quote name='squire5' post='1133553' date='Feb 19 2011, 11:29 AM']Here's mine on the Ultimate GS-100.The only qualm I have with this stand is that it sometimes tends to 'grip' the bass too tightly,resulting in the entire stand tilting forward when removing the bass.I've often needed to use 2 hands,one to hold the stand,and the other to grab the bass.I notice that the Hercules probably doesn't have this problem.[attachment=72669:Ultimate_stand.jpg]

PS Is there a way to make this pic sit the right way up??[/quote]
I think the photo is to the side because of the size. If you down size it (reduce it), that may rotate it upright.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1127708' date='Feb 14 2011, 09:59 PM']I love em. Rock solid, especially the one with the padded legs rather than the pull down rest.[/quote]

Another vote for the hercules hanging stand. I always used the folding little one for my P-bass but the jazz woujld always fall off, so I had to change.

+1 for the [url="http://www.herculesstands.co.uk/dyn_prod.php?p=GS414B&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=adwords&gclid=CN-HioKgmacCFUkhfAodQHNYcw"]Hercules Stand[/url]!

Mine's had daily use since I got it a couple of years back, still in perfect condition and rock solid. :)

Had the Hurcules set up at rehearsal the other day..3 basses used and always swapping from one to another and it worked perfectly. I thought at the time that was a touch pricey but it is very well made and cheaper than buying 3 seperate stands....highly recommend it. Just a very well though out bit of kit...