Why become a member? ×

Valve prices?

bassboy115

can anybody tell me a general price of a replacement valve for my Hartke 3500 as it was humming alot when i boosted the pre amp tube setting and the high's on saturday night... So i thought maybe replacing the tube may stop this hum?

Also how much would it cost to get one fitted?
or can anybody reccomend any other ideas why it's humming?

Cheers
Alex

I was just about to refer you to the sticky on this, only to find it has been unstickied! :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42[/url]

As for the humming, you'd normally expect noise to increase if you up the gain but I wouldn't expect any extra hum when upping the treble (that's more likely to increase hiss). Was it somewhere you'd played before? It might have been a problem with the lighting there, or even an earth fault in the power circuit.

[quote name='bassboy115' post='129807' date='Jan 29 2008, 09:42 AM']ok cheers i just would have expected the headline bands amp to hum aswell if it was bad electrics?[/quote]

The are a lot of variables with hum - there may be a fault with one socket and not another, plugging power supplies and amps into different sockets can cause ground loops, faulty power or extension leads, or a fault within the amp. If you're not getting the problem with the same set up elsewhere, it points to a problem at the venue.

I shouldn't worry about it. The amount of stuff running off different sockets at the Little Civic is bound to cause hum. Best to take it somewhere and test it where it's on it's on main. I find a lot of garages on houses have their own circuit off the main board. Always good for a true test.

thanks for all the help ill take t to a few more gigs and try it, when i played the amp at a club the other week it did hum but no where near as much it was th usual hum wen i was close it, at the little civic it was put into my extension lead and the only other thingn th extension lead was my wireless!

thanks
Alex