Why become a member? ×

Heaviest bass?

Roland Rock

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1125296' date='Feb 12 2011, 07:08 PM']This must be a real contender for heaviest bass..

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-bass-sale-/320646526257?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4aa805b531"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-bass-sale-/...=item4aa805b531[/url] :) :)[/quote]

That's probably the most ridiculous bass I've ever seen. If it ever did do your back in, at least it could double up as a stretcher

also, I like the way it comes with a 'custom case'. If ever a bass needed a custom case.....

Edited by Roland Rock

Aria's have been mentioned a couple of times - my SB 600 is the heaviest I've experienced - played in for years as a younger man. It's an Ash or Alder body I believe
Idon't know it's weight as I'm in denial about my own weight( short & ahem, stocky :) ) & don't own scales - I could take it to Boot's I suppose & stick it on the height/weight/bodymass thing.
I've got back & shoulder probs-don't think related to playing a big heavy bass though.

[quote name='4000' post='1124929' date='Feb 12 2011, 01:23 PM']It's not the heavy basses that have caused my problems (more like heavy lifting and various injuries), but obviously they won't have helped.

Heaviest I've had were my 2 Jaydees which I'd estimate were about 12-13lb each and an ESP Jazz that felt even heavier than that. Now anything over 9lbs is out of the question and I prefer more in the region of 7 or 8, which is what we're aiming for with my Rim. Even my old Ric (8.5lbs tops) is starting to cause me problems, which I never thought would happen. :)[/quote]
i think 7 lb is more than enough for any bass i reckon. i'm starting to go even lighter with my basses. 5-6lb. in ther words of carl thompson "the only thing a heavy bit of wood is gonna give you is a hernia"

I started a thread on here a while back, about my search for a lightweight bass, after years of back, neck and shoulder problems.
I have a Warwick Corvette Bubinga that weighs 11.5 pounds, and although I love it to bits, it was causing too much pain.
So I had to consider getting a lighter bass or give up playing.

I tried loads, and could not find anything I liked as much as the corvette.

But I then saw a Ibanez SR500 on Gumtree for £250.

I've picked one up in shop, but never played one, but I do remember it being incredibly light!

As this one was immaculate and virtually unplayed, I thought I would take a chance on it, and if I don't get on with it,
I would probably be able to sell it on at a profit anyway.

I went round the sellers house, tried it, and I new immediately that this was a bass that I like the feel of, and a tone to die for. IMO

Used it last night for the second live performance, and it is absolutely fantastic.

Fastest and most comfortable neck I have ever played, rolled edges and can't feel the frets at all.

I loved the prestige of playing a Warwick, and will never sell it, because I do pick it up at home,
but for me, the SR500 is well made, plays great, looks great and has the tone that I adore and is very, very flexible!

And crucially, it weighs in at a fraction over 7 pounds, and I am now much more expressive on stage, without worrying about the weight.

I know everyone looks for different things in a bass,
but for me, this is one incredible bass for £500 new, or £250/£300 s/h.

It's now my favourite bass, and will be looking for another s/h, as a back up.

My shuker is made of mahogany, burr, sycamore, wenge and maple. Heavy? Nope, under 7lbs and lighter than my hofner. However my T-40, SB, jazz and T-bass weigh a tonne. The T-40 especially is 11.5 lbs. I don't think there's a connection between weight and tone.