Why become a member? ×

'I just want to get back what I paid for it'

Martin E

Firstly, no offence to anyone but I'm just curious.

When browsing the For Sale sections here the phrase ' I just want to get back what I paid for it' seems to crop up quite a bit.

When buying and selling anything I'm sure we'd all like to do that. But is it unique to musical equipment on Basschat that you can pass on something now at least second or third hand after a few weeks, months or even longer use and just expect to get your money back or am I missing something?

I've just typed that very phrase into a listing I've just posted! In my defence I've added a custom cover but I don't think it's unreasonable in most cases here. If the condition is worse than that is a different matter but often somebody here buys something (in haste!) plays with it at home for a few weeks, is reminded that they prefer another brand so looks to sell it on. Personally I usually wind up taking a small hit but just because it's been sold on once before I don't think it therefore has to be a further loss automatically. There are of course many exceptions

Haha! Watch the For Sale sections for a while and you'll see that alot of folks will buy something used and then sell it on a (sometimes short) while later.. as Burrito said, buy it, try it out, find you don't like it. Still in exactly the same condition, still used, worth the same money or thereabouts. Probably.
If it was new when you bought it that's different, of course.
I really like browsing the For Sale areas! :)

I don't see why somebody would have a problem paying what the seller had originally paid for it - if they bought it at a fair price why shouldn't they expect a similar return?? Assuming that is, that the bass has not deteriorated in any way.

Personally, whenever I buy a bass one of the first things I do is take it up to my local luthiers and have it checked and set up (at my expense) - this means that anything I sell is generally in BETTER condition than when I actually bought it - in effect anybody buying something from me for what it cost me is getting it for LESS than I paid (taking into consideration Luthier's fees).

I know of other bass players who put in hours of work to get the bass set up as they want it - in effect "improving" it.

If sellers feel that they should reduce the price when they sell items on - more power to them - however I would also have no qualms about paying a "fair price" for something which the seller may have got cheap or as a bargain.

Maybe..I am more curious how and why these 'great' basses get sold on.
If they were that great they'd stick around longer...??

But for the OP..if the basses hold their value through a few exchanges they may be fairly priced..??? but anyhow, you can desire a price, whether you achieve it is another thing.

FWIW, I think most transactions, afaict, are not profiteers as such which makes it a good place to buy/sell, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1122901' date='Feb 10 2011, 05:22 PM']Maybe..I am more curious how and why these 'great' basses get sold on.
If they were that great they'd stick around longer...??[/quote]
I am too, but I've been lucky enough to only ever have been blown away with a very small number of basses. I still have all three of them! :)

I wonder if, in fact, it's the other way round.. the basses are wandering around just looking for the right human?

Edited by hubrad

[quote name='JTUK' post='1122901' date='Feb 10 2011, 05:22 PM']Maybe..I am more curious how and why these 'great' basses get sold on.
If they were that great they'd stick around longer...??

But for the OP..if the basses hold their value through a few exchanges they may be fairly priced..??? but anyhow, you can desire a price, whether you achieve it is another thing.

FWIW, I think most transactions, afaict, are not profiteers as such which makes it a good place to buy/sell, IMO.[/quote]

To be honest, I think if the for sale forum didn't exist, I would have been blissfully happy with the setup I had. GAS is a terrible thing. Still, I got an amazing bass I don't think I'll ever part with last week :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1122916' date='Feb 10 2011, 05:31 PM']Could it be you are looking at it from the wrong direction... some folks might say they want back what they paid for it, meaning they got it cheap and don't want to profit from it? Just a thought.[/quote]
A very good point. I think a lot of BC stuff is very fairly priced

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1122916' date='Feb 10 2011, 05:31 PM']Could it be you are looking at it from the wrong direction... some folks might say they want back what they paid for it, meaning they got it cheap and don't want to profit from it? Just a thought.[/quote]
The one time I used the phrase that's exactly what I meant.

It would be rare for the said phrase to mean 'I paid way over the odds for it and now I'm expecting to be recompensed for my foolishness'. If it ever did mean that then the item probably isn't going to sell.

Let's have more 'I just want to get back what I paid for it'.

Indeed - you'd rarely see that phrase used when the seller paid top dollar (or more) in the first place...

I've got a Yamaha bass in the for sale section at the minute, and I used the same phrase, or something similar.

I used it because, I only bought the bass a couple of months ago so its in the same condition (only gigged twice, 2 one hour sets) and its had new strings, DR Neons. So, cost of bass and strings, plus petrol to collect it £230. Selling price, £220.

Now, reasons for selling, clearly I'm not out to make a profit, but I've just left the band I bought the bass to use in (70's and 80's glam rock) and it probably won't suit the style of my next band. I've also had an unexpected vets bill, as my cat got badly hurt in a fight and has cost me £268 to get sorted! (add that to the cost of buying a bass I didn't actually need - £498) The cat doesn't want to buy the bass, so it's ended up on here. I'm not selling because its a rubbish bass, it's not - I really like it but can't justify keeping it.

I reckon most people selling on here are pretty honest and not just out to make a quick buck.

Don't recall it being a phrase i use at all. I often say how much i bought it for and i almost always sell it for less.

I bought my Warwick 6 string for £899 last May, didn't gig nor add a scratch to it and ended up selling it for *choke* £650.

The amount of owners has nothing to do with it, but buying a bass for £xxx 6 months ago doesn't mean its still worth the same amount now even if you haven't used it, the market changes!

Agree with that.
If people expected to lose money when selling something that themselves bought 2nd hand and is no worse condition, there would be a lot less activity in the Basschat sales forums

[quote name='tarcher' post='1122896' date='Feb 10 2011, 05:20 PM']I would say your missing something.
An item is worth what its worth,doesn't matter how many people have owned it.[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure most people on here are honest and my limited Basschat dealings have all been with people who have been perfect gents.

You all have good points,Warwickhunt in particular in that you could look at the phrase from another direction and obviously something like a vintage P bass will have a value which will not vary no matter how many times it changes hands.

I'm really talking about amps, cabs, average basses and things which suffer wear and tear and gradually depreciate in value.

Of course an item is worth what it's worth. What a seller paid for an item is not that relevant and I would base any offer on the condition of the item and my estimate of its value against the asking price. If he/she breaks even or makes a small profit I'm not too worried, they may have bought it at a bargain price and good for them.

OK it's probably me but I just find a seller declaring up front they want their money back tends to put me off any potential deal right from the start, even if the price may be absolutely fine.

I`ve used that phrase, when selling a cab in Jan 2011 which I bought in December 2010. I got a good deal, didn`t want to lose money, but also wasn`t after a profit either. Will soon be selling shed-loads of gear, and again, don`t want to lose or profit from this. I bought most of it used at good prices, so am happy to offload at the same good prices.