Why become a member? ×

Slap Bass

Pete Academy

[quote name='bw_user_name' post='1121898' date='Feb 9 2011, 08:46 PM']Britney Spears [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l54O1CkcsY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l54O1CkcsY[/url]
Nice slap riff, I think it sounds good on pop records[/quote]

Thats a really cool line, and i love the tone, very nice dirty sound!! like it, and much love to britney and katy made me night :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1120656' date='Feb 8 2011, 09:25 PM']But I have never heard of Justice? Katy Perry happens to be an international act with millions of sales.
For all the KP fans (perverts!) search for her on YouTube having her breasts covered in paper mâché and that's not a euphemism![/quote]

Pete, whether you've heard of them or not is a different story (in fact if you don't follow that type of music it's likely you won't have), the producers of this world have heard their music and incorporated it into what they do. Justice actually did achieve small commercial success but were otherwise quite underground. The point being is that the music that begins underground eventually influences what's in the charts very heavily. You'll notice the same is true of dubstep right now, again you may or may not have heard of this type of music but 5 or 6 years ago the genre spawned from garage and drum and bass in South East London and was very exclusive and very British, and very underground indeed. Nowadays it's everywhere, Tinie Tempah, La Roux, Snoop Dog, Britney Spears and Rihanna have all incorporated it into their most recent work, despite the big producers of dubstep like Skream or Shackleton remaining well away from the limelight. I tune into radio one everyday and hear it in 40-50% of prime time output.

So whilst you might not have heard of these artists, they are the ones that are currently shaping music production and sensibilities more than you could even possibly imagine. Popular music producers are lazy, they'll go with what's getting big and then profiteer from it until it's not popular anymore and then move on.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1122152' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:55 PM']But these are sounds and techniques from the 70's. I don't see how one band I have never heard of would influence worldwide pop acts with slap bass from the 70's and 80's. I'm guessing your a Justice fan? I have to endure radio one everyday too most of it's awful maybe I'm getting old? :)[/quote]

I appreciate that slap long predates all of these songs we're talking about, but the production methods and the way the slap part is quantised and spliced together via electronic means are the attributes of a much more recent development in music. There isn't a particularly 'live' feel to the bass in the Katy Perry tune, and it's something that was very synonymous with Justice's (and a few other people's) style of bass production. That's all I was saying really, and I don't believe it to be coincidence :lol:

I liked Justice, but to be honest I take great interest in hearing a lot of top 40 artists 'borrowing' production methods that have evolved from other artists. In relation to the original question, slap bass isn't going to make a comeback just because it's been used in one Katy Perry tune. Like you say, slap has already happened, it's already been a big thing in the 70's and 80's L.A and N.Y.C recording studios largely thanks to a lot of session greats who used it to great effect on a lot of records, i.e. Marcus Miller, Louis Johnson, Freddie Washington, etc. the list is exhaustive. Bass needs to evolve by other means rather than repeating what's already happened.

Radio one is awful for most of the time, but I listen because it's in my interest to know what's happening with popular music right now, and I like to keep abreast of what music might be popular, regardless if it's good or complete crap (usually it's the latter :) )!

[quote name='risingson' post='1122191' date='Feb 10 2011, 12:37 AM']I appreciate that slap long predates all of these songs we're talking about, but the production methods and the way the slap part is quantised and spliced together via electronic means are the attributes of a much more recent development in music. There isn't a particularly 'live' feel to the bass in the Katy Perry tune, and it's something that was very synonymous with Justice's (and a few other people's) style of bass production. That's all I was saying really, and I don't believe it to be coincidence :)

I liked Justice, but to be honest I take great interest in hearing a lot of top 40 artists 'borrowing' production methods that have evolved from other artists. In relation to the original question, slap bass isn't going to make a comeback just because it's been used in one Katy Perry tune. Like you say, slap has already happened, it's already been a big thing in the 70's and 80's L.A and N.Y.C recording studios largely thanks to a lot of session greats who used it to great effect on a lot of records, i.e. Marcus Miller, Louis Johnson, Freddie Washington, etc. the list is exhaustive. Bass needs to evolve by other means rather than repeating what's already happened.

Radio one is awful for most of the time, but I listen because it's in my interest to know what's happening with popular music right now, and I like to keep abreast of what music might be popular, regardless if it's good or complete crap (usually it's the latter :) )![/quote]

The production on that Justice song is incredible. Its a shame producers don't get that much time on a top 40 record anymore

• 2 weeks later...