Why become a member? ×

Headless Thunderbird

neepheid

Well, I picked up the headless chicken last night and was pleased to find that the neck is still playable right to the first fret on all strings. I wonder if my steaming and clamping has stuck this time. It's been a month.

Even though I've got a direct replacement neck should things go awry, I think I'll go ahead with the one that I've steamed. Worst case scenario is that the neck springs back while it's off the bass and having no string tension on it while I work on the body.

Things to do - deepen the neck pocket by a few mm (everything's a little proud, pickups jacked up, bridge saddles about as far up as they'll go, can fly a 747 under the strings at the neck heel :) ), then get to work on making things more comfy at the dusty end. Test that stuff, then make the recesses for the neck screw bushings, followed by finishing (which is not my strong suit, but I'll give it a go). Also getting rid of the head on the pickguard logo is proving trickier than I first thought. I have another plan, which is permanent, but I don't know how invisible it's going to be. Need a scrap of BWB pickguard material to test on - anyone got some?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1317891937' post='1395750']
Well, I picked up the headless chicken last night and was pleased to find that the neck is still playable right to the first fret on all strings. I wonder if my steaming and clamping has stuck this time. It's been a month.

Even though I've got a direct replacement neck should things go awry, I think I'll go ahead with the one that I've steamed. Worst case scenario is that the neck springs back while it's off the bass and having no string tension on it while I work on the body.

Things to do - deepen the neck pocket by a few mm (everything's a little proud, pickups jacked up, bridge saddles about as far up as they'll go, can fly a 747 under the strings at the neck heel :) ), then get to work on making things more comfy at the dusty end. Test that stuff, then make the recesses for the neck screw bushings, followed by finishing (which is not my strong suit, but I'll give it a go). Also getting rid of the head on the pickguard logo is proving trickier than I first thought. I have another plan, which is permanent, but I don't know how invisible it's going to be. Need a scrap of BWB pickguard material to test on - anyone got some?
[/quote]

I tried removing the goth logo on mine by lightly using a Stanley blade but it ended up all scratched. That's why I did this with sticker paper

[IMG]http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/Delberthot/Thunderbirdnew/DSC08781Large.jpg[/IMG]

DB: the pickguard I have has the Thunderbird engraved into it. I wish it had been silk screened on, a bit of T-cut would have put paid to its head with a bit of patience. So I have to fill the head in with something. Have tried layers of paint but despite being careful to not layer too thick and waiting for each layer to dry it didn't stick. I have got some Milliput (2 part epoxy putty) which I intend to fill the unwanted lines with, but I don't know how well it will polish up.

J: That sounds like a worthy plan B to me :)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...