Why become a member? ×

Headless Thunderbird

neepheid

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1335881' date='Aug 10 2011, 06:09 PM']I'm not totally against the front bevel idea but I'd prefer to see this decision based on playability rather than what looks best or what is easiest to do.

With this radical neck approach, you are taking something iconic and potentially improving the design. The lower neck cutaway on these is an obvious inherent design flaw (maybe not so much by design than circumstance) that needs to be addressed too and here you are with the perfect opportunity, especially since you have actually compounded the flaw yourself by adding an extra fret.

Take a page out of the books of the builders who have been proven to have this part of the guitar right. Start your cutaway ~2 frets back and let rip. :)

How are you going to get to play "do" if you don't make it accessible? :)[/quote]

Okay, well maybe it's not [i]really[/i] a T-Bird anymore... you have already cut its poor overweight head off :lol: , you might as well get it to be how you'd really enjoy playing it. It does seem to have lost the original mojo without a headstock- and now it's got a very cool look that's kind of all its own, and comes off more as 'modeled after' a T-Bird. With more frets, you're going to want to be able to access them when you're finished. I'd bet... I say go for some cutting-out at the lower bout- the change will be minor compared to what you've done so far.

It's a danged nutty project- looks super-cool from here. I'm going to want to do something like this to mine.

Edited by Count Bassie

If truth be told, I was having another look at it last night and because I removed the sticky out bit of the neck heel and can get my thumb up to behind the 16th fret (will have to reshape the neck a little), I can reach the 21st fret quite easily with my index and middle fingers. Now I'm really confused. Do I need to do anything?

In that case I'd leave it for now. Maybe you should assemble the bass before finishing the body and play it like that for a couple of weeks to see how you get on. If you think it does need some extra reshaping I'd start by just bevelling the cutaway first before any major reshaping of the outline.

Unfortunately no matter how much more playable a deeper cutaway makes the bass you loose the classic Thunderbird shape once you start to do this. Just look at the JAEBird Mk2 or the Spector Rex for proof...

It's very hard to get a prototype right the very first time (I should know :)). I agree with BRX, you are getting bogged down in theory and running around in circles *contradicting yourself, get it built and then play it, then make the necessary changes. It's only wood. You could cut the entire lower horn off if you wanted too - it's not that hard to put it back on twice as sturdy as it was before. :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1335245' date='Aug 10 2011, 04:24 PM']....[b]I really can't see how changing the back only will help[/b] - having picked up a bass right now with a more aggressive cutaway at the bottom (curves between frets 19 and 20) it only works with the palm down because of that cutaway, there's no way you'd be able to do this on an unmodified T-bird cutaway...[/quote]
[quote name='neepheid' post='1336162' date='Aug 11 2011, 10:04 AM']If truth be told, I was having another look at it last night and [b]because I removed the sticky out bit of the neck heel and can get my thumb up to behind the 16th fret [/b](will have to reshape the neck a little), I can reach the 21st fret quite easily with my index and middle fingers. Now I'm really confused. Do I need to do anything?[/quote]

You're right, I'm tying myself up in knots about something which doesn't need to be worried about yet - get the neck screwed in, bridges down, electronics wired up again and see. 3 relatively simple steps and 2 weeks hols coming up - I should have a working bass soon.

Well, there's good news and bad news.

Good news 1 - got the thing assembled:

Good news 2 - project objective achieved - no neck dive:

Bad news - neck has a back bow, frets out below the third fret. Oh dear. Wish I had spotted that. Truss rod loosened off and still no chance of a straight neck, never mind relief. I have tried to fix this by loosening off the truss rod completely, clamping it to a flat surface, used a small shim in the middle of the neck to induce a very small amount of forward bow, tightened it so the back bow is dialled out and then applied some steam to it. I'm going to leave it clamped for a week or so and see how I get on.

I really hope that this works. The way things are though, I couldn't really make it any worse :)

Been watching this from the start. :lol:

Look, no hands! :)
Object achieved - looks great.

There's a very good chance your neck will be OK.

The longer you leave it, the better and onece you have tipped it over the edge,
as I'm sure you realise, the string tension will hold it there.
Perhaps just nip up the rod nut, at that point and not tighten.

Keeping my fiingers crossed.

Now I've seen it, I really fancy one!

Now, where's that saw gone. . . . . . . .:D

Cheers. :)

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1345057' date='Aug 19 2011, 07:48 AM']Been watching this from the start. :lol:

Look, no hands! :)
Object achieved - looks great.

There's a very good chance your neck will be OK.

The longer you leave it, the better and onece you have tipped it over the edge,
as I'm sure you realise, the string tension will hold it there.
Perhaps just nip up the rod nut, at that point and not tighten.

Keeping my fiingers crossed.

Now I've seen it, I really fancy one!

Now, where's that saw gone. . . . . . . .:D

Cheers. :)[/quote]
The thing is it's a very pronounced snap back at the 3rd or 4th fret, not a smooth bow somewhere down the middle where the truss-rod can take care of it. The donor bass had been kept in very bad conditions prior to Matt (and me - I got the other end of it) buying it. My fingers are tightly crossed too.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1345392' date='Aug 19 2011, 01:07 PM']p.s. I am most disappoint. You look nothing like your avatar :)[/quote]

Right because you of course look like Abby :) . I must admit i would have liked to see a turnip head too though. The bass looks good. Don't give up on it just yet, that is what i always end up doing lol.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1350421' date='Aug 24 2011, 04:26 PM']Good news: the clamps are off and it is now possible to play the first and second frets. Whether or not it will stay remains to be seen. I think I'll leave it under string tension for a while.[/quote]

Awesome sir! This is fantastic. I'd love to see a shot of it next to a standard thunderbird, just to see the difference in upper fret access.

I'm aware it's early days yet, but do you think this would be possible to do, to a 5 string thunderbird, ideally with a 24-fret, graphite neck?

And at EH, no I won't be doing it to that :) and I just sold it anyway o.O

[quote name='dc2009' post='1350638' date='Aug 24 2011, 07:40 PM']Awesome sir! This is fantastic. I'd love to see a shot of it next to a standard thunderbird, just to see the difference in upper fret access.

I'm aware it's early days yet, but do you think this would be possible to do, to a 5 string thunderbird, ideally with a 24-fret, graphite neck?

And at EH, no I won't be doing it to that :) and I just sold it anyway o.O[/quote]

Anything's possible. It just might not look much like a Thunderbird afterwards - you'd need some serious cutaway modification to make 24 frets useful. It's bad enough contemplating making this one look like a JAEbird :)

Mate as i said before seeing that Bass built is a dream come true for me, i am a lover of both the headless look & the Thunderbird bass.

After spending ages looking for one, i can finally say i have seen one !!!! mate your a star & a clever one at that........now i want one !!!

[quote name='robocorpse' post='1350583' date='Aug 24 2011, 06:40 PM']If anyone else wants a go at a Thunderbird custom job, I am selling [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=151201"]THIS DONOR BASS[/url][/quote]

Arrrghhhhhh nooooooooo dont tempt me !!!!!

Well, I'm not out of the woods yet, there was some spring back from the first steaming/clamping session and the G string began to buzz on the second fret when playing the first. Have since steamed the bend for about 10 mins then clamped it in a slightly forward position again, it's still ok, but in the mean time I have secured an identical neck in case this one doesn't work out. Will have to wait for a few weeks to know if the straightening is more permanent this time.

• 2 weeks later...