Why become a member? ×

Headless Thunderbird

neepheid

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1153175' date='Mar 7 2011, 11:15 PM']Won't a 21 fret neck require more routing of the neck pocket? Or are you hoping that by not having a headstock plus the extra body mass of the bridge/tuner assembly you'll be able to counteract the potential for neck dive caused by shifting the string witness points further from the end of the body.

For me it's not the 21st fret that is so essential. When I'm playing that far up the neck it normally involves two note chords with open string drones so the 19th fret (2 octaves above the open string below) is the important one for me. After that if there are any more I'll want to go all the way to the 24th fret.[/quote]

That would depend upon the neck I guess. If the 21st fret is on an overhanging fretboard then it won't be so much of a problem. However, I'm about to bring together two things which were never designed for one another so I'm expecting neck pocket alteration anyway.

I've already outlined my reason for wanting 21 frets, they may be frivolous and spurious, but the customer is me, and the customer is king :)

Still looking for the right neck. In the meantime I have been thinking about ways to improve the dusty end access - one of the quirks of the Thunderbird - without harming the overall aesthetic. This was my first thought which should give about 1.5" of improved access by following the angle of the bottom horn much further and ending in a tighter turn near the neck:

Is it still arguably a Thunderbird? Is it subtle enough?

Edited by neepheid

Ach, maybe so but I started to go through it anyway as I was sanding off black stuff so I'm going to take the lot off. To be honest I prefer not to have unknown substances present, you never know if there could be an unfavourable reaction when finishing.

EDIT: besides, I'll be carving recesses in the body for the bridge, modifying the neck pocket and reshaping the bottom horn, so those parts won't have that sealer coat on anyway so I'd rather just take the lot off.

Edited by neepheid

Have you thought about carving the back of the lower horn to make it thinner? Also the back of the neck pocket so there's not a huge chunk of wood there.

I can't remember where I saw it a while ago, I thik it was on a 36 fret bass (and a tasteful one, not a wishbass :) ), it looked like it improved the upper fret access a lot without compromising (or even changing) the looks from the front.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1161844' date='Mar 14 2011, 03:00 PM']Have you thought about carving the back of the lower horn to make it thinner? Also the back of the neck pocket so there's not a huge chunk of wood there.

I can't remember where I saw it a while ago, I thik it was on a 36 fret bass (and a tasteful one, not a wishbass :) ), it looked like it improved the upper fret access a lot without compromising (or even changing) the looks from the front.[/quote]

Interesting, but I can't quite visualise how that's going to help. Can you find any pics of what you mean?

Had a bit of a setback last night - my Mouse sander went pop. Bah!

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' post='1162782' date='Mar 15 2011, 09:44 AM']Interesting, but I can't quite visualise how that's going to help. Can you find any pics of what you mean?

Had a bit of a setback last night - my Mouse sander went pop. Bah![/quote]

I can't find any pics, so I drew an awesome diagram! (apologies, I'm no artist at the best of time and this was a 2 minute sketch in paint).

If you're looking at the lower horn from the back, the centre line is the countour. To the left of it, you thin the horn, it means your hand doesn't hit a solid block of wood and some of your fingers can go behind the body instead of wedging next to it. How thin you'd need to make it would depend on the body thickness.

From the front it doesn't look any different as all the carving's done at the back.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1167152' date='Mar 18 2011, 02:05 PM']I can't find any pics, so I drew an awesome diagram! (apologies, I'm no artist at the best of time and this was a 2 minute sketch in paint).

If you're looking at the lower horn from the back, the centre line is the countour. To the left of it, you thin the horn, it means your hand doesn't hit a solid block of wood and some of your fingers can go behind the body instead of wedging next to it. How thin you'd need to make it would depend on the body thickness.

From the front it doesn't look any different as all the carving's done at the back.[/quote]

I think I see what you mean now. I'll keep that in mind. Until the neck arrives and is fitted I won't be entirely sure what I should do.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1167180' date='Mar 18 2011, 02:22 PM']I think I see what you mean now. I'll keep that in mind. Until the neck arrives and is fitted I won't be entirely sure what I should do.[/quote]

I just had another quick look and found this:

It's done for looks and it's on a guitar, but it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about with taking mass out from behind the lower horn and neck pocket hehe. It wouldn't give you perfect access but it'd help a little. If you still had to deepen the whole cutaway for better access, this might just mean that you can leave an extra few mil there that you might've taken out otherwise.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1167457' date='Mar 18 2011, 06:04 PM']You could shape the lower horn/cutaway on both sides like Overwater did on their Thunderbird-esque Original Bass:

[/quote]

I really really really need to get my hands on a five string version of one of those original overwaters :)

Dude i'm sorry to jump in on this thread with no help or technical know how, but this project is fantastic.

Talk about freaky, i set my heart on a Headless T-Bird years ago & was crushed to find one didn't exist.......I was laughed at & ridiculed in pretty much every place i visited looking for one & out of the blue i descover this.

You are now a god in my eyes lol. cant wait to see the finished product. Keep going mate it will be awsome when it's done.

Gav
:)

Edited by fumps

I have the neck now and I'm scheming about how to move forwards. This is the plan:

1) cut out the fillet from the end of the fingerboard to the face of the headstock:

2) glue in a piece of maple:

3) trim to match the shape of the headless hardware and fit.

Does that seem reasonable?

[quote name='neepheid' post='1176680' date='Mar 25 2011, 06:54 PM']I have the neck now and I'm scheming about how to move forwards. This is the plan:

1) cut out the fillet from the end of the fingerboard to the face of the headstock:

2) glue in a piece of maple:

3) trim to match the shape of the headless hardware and fit.

Does that seem reasonable?[/quote]

That looks pretty reasonable to me. As long as the truss rod isn't an issue, or you can get your cut around it. That's the adjusting end, right?

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1176814' date='Mar 26 2011, 02:21 AM']That looks pretty reasonable to me. As long as the truss rod isn't an issue, or you can get your cut around it. That's the adjusting end, right?[/quote]

Nah, I have lucked out and obtained one which adjusts at the heel, so this procedure will hopefully not cause any problems in that regard.