Why become a member? ×

Headless Thunderbird

neepheid

During a drunken conversation at the Moffat Bass Bash, I proposed a solution to the neckdive of the Thunderbird bass - make it headless. I remember it being a visionary idea at the time, but in the cold, sober light of day it seems like a daft project to take on for a laugh :)

I would like to butcher a bolt on Thunderbird (Epiphone or whatever) and add a headless neck and bridge. I might alter the body shape a little to address another of what I see as one of the faults of the Thunderbird - high fret access.

I've been pottering around in the GIMP and come up with this:

I then had the body modification idea and so did this:

Not sure how much I would move the bottom horn back, that's just what might happen.

I've got no parts yet and even less clue apart from the pictures above. It might not even work, but it'll be a laugh finding out as long as I keep the costs down.

I like it! especially with the higher fret access. I know it wouldn't be part of your current idea, but I think i'd probably everso slightly downsize the body just to make it look a lil more even to my eye - but that aside, the outline reminds me of some sort of military equipment.

Brilliant! Go for it, I'll be watching to see how this one takes shape!

[quote name='Rich' post='1120914' date='Feb 9 2011, 07:18 AM']You could always wait for an Epi Bird to turn up on eBay for 'spares or repair', with the usual broken-headstock problem. There was one the other day, can't find it now so it might have ended.[/quote]

I was watching it - it went for way more than it deserved to. Some silly people out there :)

[quote name='Wil' post='1135675' date='Feb 21 2011, 04:00 PM']Why not get the bridge and headless nut anodised black?[/quote]

I could probably find the exact same hardware in black, eventually. I've seen those bridges around on quite a few things. However, I've got a satin/not black one in my hand right now to mess about with so I'll go with it for now and worry about aesthetics later.

I wanted to do this to my Spector Rex Brown five string (now sold) for the same reasons (neck dive) but couldnt get the five string headless hardware for love nor money. Fabulous project, looking forward to seeing the finished creature.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1136126' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:07 PM']good ideas. a lot of these old basses had major fret access problems. especially the fenders with the huge body/uncarved heel thing. kudos to you. wouldn't it be cheaper to make the body from scratch tho?[/quote]

Possibly, but not at the price I have won a donor T-bird today :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1137331' date='Feb 22 2011, 05:12 PM']Not the white one per chance??[/quote]

Nah, an Epi Goth with bridge issues: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180627722045"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180627722045[/url]

[quote name='neepheid' post='1137390' date='Feb 22 2011, 05:50 PM']Nah, an Epi Goth with bridge issues: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180627722045"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180627722045[/url][/quote]

Bargain dude! :)