Why become a member? ×

STRINGS, what is going on?!

MatthewKeys

After 6 months of using Elixir nanoweb bass strings, I decided to make a change because I wanted something brighter. Today I put on some rotosound swing bass 45-105 strings. When I first put them on my hand was getting stuck and not moving up the frets at all, I had to actually lift my hand up to move a fret. Then, after an hour or attempting to play like this, my strings sound as if they have been on for about 3 months. I don't know why.. help!?

I have had previous experiences with rotosound like this.... Maybe it's something to do with me having really sweaty hands? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks

Bought some light gauge rotosound for my Ric. Got them home and they looked, felt and sounded they they had come from the bottom of the ocean. Never got to put the d string on I just binned them.

Straight on ebay and ordered the ernie ball blue packet. 1,000,000 times better. Never again with rotosound for me.

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1119348' date='Feb 7 2011, 03:00 PM']After 6 months of using Elixir nanoweb bass strings, I decided to make a change because I wanted something brighter. Today I put on some rotosound swing bass 45-105 strings. When I first put them on my hand was getting stuck and not moving up the frets at all, I had to actually lift my hand up to move a fret. Then, after an hour or attempting to play like this, my strings sound as if they have been on for about 3 months. I don't know why.. help!?

I have had previous experiences with rotosound like this.... Maybe it's something to do with me having really sweaty hands? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks[/quote]

I put on a set of D'addario half-rounds today and felt something sticky as honey on the strings. From factory prep or low QC? I ran a rag with a very small amount of rubbing alcohol over them, and they're now fine.

The strings sound great, by the way.

I seem to have had more problemswith string batches, these last few months that I had for years...in factr, never known a period like it.
Admittedly, I am trying out different brands but that doesn't explain a broken string almost straight out of the pack, the inability to wash them again and get a worthwhile result, or just not that inmpressive string resonance.

I reckon my 10 years old plus DR's which I have restrung loads would perform better than some of these new packs.

I wonder if they are cost-cutting the metals at the manufacturers and this is why the few..?? winders are affecting quite a few brands... just a wild guess..?? but something is a bit odd, IMV.

i'm using rotosound medium SCALE (not medium gauge) flatwounds and you cannot tell the difference between those and thomastik infeld flatwounds. Its just what you are used to...i avoid rotosound roundwound strings, i find them bland and boring. you have to keep experimenting until you are happy

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1122522' date='Feb 10 2011, 12:47 PM']But yeah, i have never liked Rotos. I don't understand why everyone still buys 'em, must be their incessant advertising campaigns in Total Guitar![/quote]

+1. My experience of Rotos is that they are sticky, rough, inconsistent in tone and go dead quickly. IMO the best buy at that price point are Ernie Ball Slinkies.

Can't really comment on the Roto swing bass because they're stainless and all stainless strings feel rough and clanky to me. I have been using their Rotobass nickels though and they're really nice. Much smoother and as good as ernies in my opinion but almost half the price.

I,ve been using Rotosound Swing Bass 66 since god were a lad, but recently began to be unhappy due to brand new strings straight out the packet snapping when fitting them! As soon as they tighten, the string (usually the A string) just snaps at the ball end.
I,ve now been using [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/577-elites_4_string_player_nickel_plated_bass_guitar_strings"]Elites Nickel[/url] for a while now and am quite happy with them.

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='lemmywinks' date='Feb 10 2011, 12:47 PM' post='1122522']
If you've been using Elixirs then you'll be used to the silky smooth texture, other strings feel rougher. I love Elixirs, even when they go hairy!

I use Elixirs and the last set that I'm still using haven't gone hairy, have they changed something, anybody else noticed this?